collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What characters would you like to see as brushables?/wider releases  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
Re: What characters would you like to see as brushables?/wider releases
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 07:15:21 AM »
Easy. Anything that isn't mane six!
I agree with everyone on Sunburst! :)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »
All of them...

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 08:38:17 AM »
Cheese Sandwich brushable, please. Also General Firefly and Surprise the Wonderbolt. I'm sure both are copyrightable names instead of just Firefly and Surprise,  since both are canon.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:46:10 AM by Khoufu »
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
It annoys me how Hasbro has put effort into creating, animating and adding details of anything that is NOT a pony only to leave them hanging.

Where are my Changelings? The only ones that we have in toy form are Queen Chrysalis (a brushable, a GoH, a talking one who has a theme that isn't canon and molded minis) and ONE Guardians of Harmony (emotionless) Changeling that came packaged with a very angry Twilight and a contraption that doesn't have any room in the current story.

Why bother making a buffalo, an ENTIRE hive of changelings, having the changelings metamorph, have NAMED seaponies outside of the movie, have NAMED hippogriffs outside of the movie, have DRAGONS outside of Spike and continue to show that Griffins are "a thing" when you're not going to bother to give the toys of the GOOD characters to kids?

Even Marvel's Deadpool has better merch (Funko Deadpool the Duck FTW, yo) and he's not aimed at kids  :\

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »
- Powder Rouge
- Saffron Masala
- The Pillars of Equestria
- Inky Rose
- Flim and Flam

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 09:20:58 AM »
Why bother making a buffalo, an ENTIRE hive of changelings, having the changelings metamorph, have NAMED seaponies outside of the movie, have NAMED hippogriffs outside of the movie, have DRAGONS outside of Spike and continue to show that Griffins are "a thing" when you're not going to bother to give the toys of the GOOD characters to kids?

Even Marvel's Deadpool has better merch (Funko Deadpool the Duck FTW, yo) and he's not aimed at kids  :\

Because MLP is aimed at little girls while Deadpool is aimed at boys and nerdy men. Whenever diversity in the FiM line is discussed you will find a few people defending it claiming that this isn't what little girls want. They want the same thing over and over again (interestingly didn't want that with G1, G2 or G3). Little girls brains miraculously changed once Hasbro came up with the pony core cast.

And only girls who are into MLP are hit with this malfunction. Girls who are into Shoppies or Zelfs or LPS seem to love variation and "gotta catch em all". But MLP fans just like the Mane Six. Science!! :lol:

Offline Sweet Daes

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »

Because MLP is aimed at little girls while Deadpool is aimed at boys and nerdy men. Whenever diversity in the FiM line is discussed you will find a few people defending it claiming that this isn't what little girls want. They want the same thing over and over again (interestingly didn't want that with G1, G2 or G3). Little girls brains miraculously changed once Hasbro came up with the pony core cast.

And only girls who are into MLP are hit with this malfunction. Girls who are into Shoppies or Zelfs or LPS seem to love variation and "gotta catch em all". But MLP fans just like the Mane Six. Science!! :lol:

I don't believe that for a second.

Why create creatures with brushable toy potential or otherwise look like a vat of melted Crayola crayons that shimmer and sparkle? Those creative choices are not because they would appeal to adults or boys.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »
It annoys me how Hasbro has put effort into creating, animating and adding details of anything that is NOT a pony only to leave them hanging.

Where are my Changelings? The only ones that we have in toy form are Queen Chrysalis (a brushable, a GoH, a talking one who has a theme that isn't canon and molded minis) and ONE Guardians of Harmony (emotionless) Changeling that came packaged with a very angry Twilight and a contraption that doesn't have any room in the current story.

Well now you understand what we've all been saying.

Its because Hasbro's mlp department is being run by an evil, sentient xerox machine. That's my theory anywho.

Agreed Zapper! They don't pull this crap on little boys with Transformers. Why always little girls?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:30:54 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sweet Daes

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »

Well now you understand what we've all been saying.

Its because Hasbro's mlp department is being run by an evil, sentient xerox machine. That's my theory anywho.

Agreed Zapper! They don't pull this crap on little boys with Transformers. Why always little girls?

No, I have a different understanding.

Merchandising is different than storytelling. Rarely will the two ever mesh in perfect harmony no matter how much you think they would.

In this case, Hasbro just took the "really, hasbro? really" a step further by having storytellers creating characters that would print money in all currencies but the marketing isn't taking the opportunity.

Basically, they are playing it "safe" for multiple reasons. That doesn't mean that I can't question their choices.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:55:01 PM by Sweet Daes »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »
I think Leave a Whisper has figured out Hasbro’s secret :lol: It must be that copy machine that keeps making copies of the Mane 6.

So many great choices for brushables. :) I think Sandbar is going be released in a set in time for the Christmas shopping season along with Silverstream. With all the emphasis on the sea ponies/ hippogriffs in the movie I’m surprised we got so few toys of them.

Other characters I’d like to see

Thorax in either his drone form or metamorphosed form
Ocellus
Terramar
Ocean Flow
MistMane and the other Pillars of Equestria
Stratus Skyranger
Lightning Dust
Cozy Glow
Twilight Velvet
and many others...

I agree that Queen Novo and Haven Bay need wider releases.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 04:23:10 AM »

I agree that Queen Novo and Haven Bay need wider releases.

Ponyfan

Totally on board with this. I am still so angry she didn't make it to any of the UK stores, but it was apparently fine to cut the prices so low in the US. I would really have liked to get her, but I'm not paying ebay prices because Hasbro would rather send us another crate of Mane 6.

I also agree with Zapper and LAW. The attitude towards 'girl toys' has become more muddy and annoying in the last few years in my opinion. I feel like while gender roles were so segregated for toys in the eighties in some ways, MLP was a lot less girly then than now. I mean the pink packages, just like the lego line with their pink packages and so on...

The mane 6 though is definitely just easier in production. I dunno if Hasbro care what girls (or boys, or adults) want, it's what they can make a profit on. And they probably have to sell fewer mane 6 to make a profit than if they were to create new moulds and mix new colours and so on. Plus there are a fair number of people here who complain about mane 6 but still buy them, so it is encouraging them -esp if kids and parents do the same.

The company has demonstrated it no longer really is interested in its customer base. The difference in attitude from customer service today vs what it was in the 1990s here in the UK is leagues apart. Their distribution decisions aside, Hasbro UK used to be really good at communicating with parents or even kids who wrote to them. I had proper correspondence with one of the CS people in 1995, during which she sent me 2 freebies, allowed me to purchase a pony from their residual stock, copied some hasbro notes for me and wrote up the list of ponies she had a record of for me as well. To indulge a thirteen year old girl in such a way was huge for me back then. And I know that they had also been really helpful in other ways - for example, my parents got a second hand stable but no Lemon Drop so they wrote to Hasbro and Hasbro sent them a new China made Lemon Drop for my (no longer produced, out of date) stable.

In short, back then Hasbro did care about making people happy as making people happy helped their sales. Now they are relying on other companies (ie animators) to make people happy. There's a distance between them and the customer base, which means I strongly suspect the decisions are entirely made on profit margin and not on perpetuating a long lasting line which requires some investment risk in order to establish in the manner of G1.

Just how society is right now I guess. I miss the Hasbro UK of old, however insane their releases sometimes were.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »
Speaking about G4, specifically? Literally anyone that isn't the main 6 or otherwise has already been released. Flim and Flam! Pinkie's sisters! They could make family sets, I'd be *all over* those. Thunderlane and Rumble! Prism Glider! Any of the chars that got released as EQG dolls but not as brushables! I'd kill for pony!Sirens.. ohhh and there's been some really nice blind bag-only characters, too.. -ramble-

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 07:05:22 AM »
I'd kill for any official merch of Pear Butter and Bright Mac, even more for brushables of them.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »
Merry May & Sea Swirl
(they have blind bags but I want full sized)

Hubby would probably like a Cheese Sandwich as well
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Silver Letter

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 07:57:12 AM »
The parents of the main six. Petunia Paleo. Tender Taps. Cozy Glow. There's lots that could be made.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal