collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Grooming Parlour / Pretty Parlor NAME CARDS  (Read 7379 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: G1 Grooming Parlour / Pretty Parlor NAME CARDS
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 03:20:42 AM »
Just a request that they, even if alike the originals, will be easy to tell apart, so they wont be passed of as originals later on.

I agree with this. I'm personally not against repros so long as they're honest repros and can be identified as reproductions not originals. There are a lot of us who don't collect reproduction stuff so it's important that nobody can get confused.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 04:45:00 AM »
Just a request that they, even if alike the originals, will be easy to tell apart, so they wont be passed of as originals later on.

I agree with this. I'm personally not against repros so long as they're honest repros and can be identified as reproductions not originals. There are a lot of us who don't collect reproduction stuff so it's important that nobody can get confused.

I have nothing against repro stuff either, but it seems to be more and more popping up, so I think it is important that we can distinguish them from each other in an easy way. I myself would prefer if it actually said repro (and maybe year) somewhere on the product, as I have seen some makers say that "oh, it is safe, the original is sky blue, and my is light blue, so its easy to tell apart" or something similar. But for one that has never hold the real deal in its hands, it is really hard to tell the difference from a picture, when you have nothing to compare with, and different quality on photos can show different colours on screen.  So along the way, we might be considering them batch variants, faded, or different releases. Or just thinking you have the original, that you found in a lot on ebay, as you have never really seen an original in real life.  That is what I'm afraid of with all repros coming up, and I dont mean especially with this, but in general, and even if the makers are honest and selling them as repros, we never know where they end up in a few years, and how honest, or guillable, that seller is.
But that might be a whole other thread, I just wanted to squiz that in, if you are thinking of making a big scale reproduction run to sell. ^^
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 05:39:19 AM »
I completely agree that all repro stuff should have a date on it. Small but indelile, somewhere neat and unobtrusive. Great idea!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 06:03:13 AM »
The originals were on perforated cardboard.   It will be easy to tell the repros apart because they won't be perforated at the edges.

I don't think these are to sell?   I thought people were just going to individually print them out.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 06:44:53 AM »
I thought that same,
just something to print out to replace lost ones
and getting the closest typeface (font) to make my own ones for "non-name-carded" ponies.
 :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 07:01:09 AM »
This concern gets raised a lot recently - about reproductions and restorations and stuff.

I'm with Leikin and Artie on this.

We've had a few conversations about rehairs being sold undisclosed, about repro flutter wings being sold as authentic - not because anyone is malicious but because of a lack of knowledge somewhere in the transaction. And it's fine to say buyer beware, but if the buyer is new and doesn't know the questions to ask, they become much more vulnerable to being misled.

It's true the originals are perforated, but I've got a few that are so badly worn it's hard to tell if they were ever on a perforated sheet or not :/

But looking at them there is a simple way to resolve this for the English language ones. All of the English tags  have a small TM next to the name. This is true for the UK and the US releases. If someone is making repro tags in English language for people to use, maybe they could remove the tm? That way it would be obvious they weren't authentic, without ruining the overall look of the tag??

In the case of the UK ones, unless there is a plan to make them double sided, it would be easier to note reproductions because of the difficulty of getting tags with the right names on both sides. But it might be possible (again, if someone is making these for distribution) to have the blank side marked in some way with a watermark.

I don't know about the Nirvana tags. I don't know enough about them to know what their individual characteristics are. I did notice most don't have TM.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:04:23 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 07:06:27 AM »
All of the English tags  have a small TM next to the name. This is true for the UK and the US releases. If someone is making repro tags in English language for people to use, maybe they could remove the tm? That way it would be obvious they weren't authentic, without ruining the overall look of the tag??

That's a good idea . . . I was just noticing yesterday that they were all "TMed".
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 08:43:55 AM »
I'd vote skip the 'TM' and the fact they'll not be perforated should be enough - odds are these repos are never going to be as worn, and will be printed on a home computer so it should be relatively obvious they have no perforations and never did.  That and the typeface isn't a perfect match. 

It wouldn't be impossible to sneak a tiny year/reproduction into the artwork somewhere, or offer watermarking that can be printed on the back of the sheet (if doing US style single-sided cards) for those that are concerned.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »
I'd vote skip the 'TM' and the fact they'll not be perforated should be enough - odds are these repos are never going to be as worn, and will be printed on a home computer so it should be relatively obvious they have no perforations and never did.  That and the typeface isn't a perfect match. 

It wouldn't be impossible to sneak a tiny year/reproduction into the artwork somewhere, or offer watermarking that can be printed on the back of the sheet (if doing US style single-sided cards) for those that are concerned.

Yeah, I was wondering about watermarking the back. I am assuming that making good doublesided ones with the exact right names on each side for the UK release ones is possible but much more work so if those are single sided it's less of a problem. But I just noticed on Chrissytree's lovely site the ones which are single sided.

The fact that there are some of the pony tags from after the collector set that are not double sided is something to watch out for. But removing the TM is a really tiny way of making sure they can never be mixed up without ruining the overall display effect.

It's just another matter to work out what to do with the nirvana ones. Maybe those are the ones that need the watermarking?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 10:05:43 AM »
Oh nooo, my plans to make millions of dollaz passing off re-makes as legit of the mini identification name cards for the pretty parlor is ruined. Y'all are just no fun (baahumbug) However will I make millions of moneeeezzz!?!?! :silly:

But seriously, I would not put trademark on them if you are recreating, simply because, putting TM on them makes them look official, which clearly is what some people seem to be worried about, at least I hope that is what people are worried about. Reselling as official products or items being passed off as official. Plus I thought it was more about making non-existing tags that hasbro never made, not remaking existing ones.

Instead of TM You'd want to brand them with an identification logo, as in my case, either put my business logo on the back or something identifying me as the creator. Or at least that is what I would be doing.

And sorry, I didn't managed to get into the attic to find my originals, I was too tired last night to be tra-la-la-ing around the attic. So much for my evil plans dominating the pretty parlor name tag market, clearly I'm not a very good evildoer.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »
I'd expect these would be for individual collectors, not for sale anyways.  Anything I make  would be freely available for anyone who wanted to use it for personal, non-commercial use.  Selling stuff just potentially opens you up to all sorts of unwelcome legal attention.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2018, 01:25:53 PM »
I'd expect these would be for individual collectors, not for sale anyways.  Anything I make  would be freely available for anyone who wanted to use it for personal, non-commercial use.  Selling stuff just potentially opens you up to all sorts of unwelcome legal attention.

It's all free till somebody starts shipping/mailing something OR changes stuff....

but I want the super ultra glow in the dark glitter gloss paper; I thought you said it was free. waaa!

LOL! :silly:
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2018, 02:05:45 PM »
I would imagine people doing this for free. It isn't that so much as there will always be someone somewhere who will try to boost a parlour sale. Most of these are common enough I think but the nirvana ones and those of Snuzzle's parlour are rarer.

People here are honest but sharing something from kindness can backfire.  Just doesn't hurt to be safe.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2018, 12:57:55 AM »
These are valid concerns; someone not in our community may get their hands on these cards and have a try at selling them in the future. One never knows. And if they are not collectors they may do this completely innocently.

I agree with removing the "TM' and would perhaps suggest taking it one step further as WE all know the TM should be there but other people may not necessarily be aware of this. So my suggestion is: replace the "TM" with "REPRO". Very small. Then there is really absolutely no chance whatsoever that anyone would ever confuse them with the originals.

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2018, 04:15:28 AM »
I dont think anyone here would do it for profit or cheat others, but even having them available for free for others to use, we never know where they will end up in a few years. We may have the best of intentions today, but we cannot say what will happen in the future.  Even if noone is actually scamming anyone, they can be passed on as real because lack of knowledge.

The perforated edges might be easy for us who knows to tell the difference, but as a new collector, or a collector just new to playsets and nametags, lack of perforating and lack of TM wont make a difference, unless there is stated somewhere that this is in fact the difference between repro and original. I mean, some people might not even know they should be on the lookout for repros, and somewhere along the line, this might start discussions about wheater the nametags without TM or perforating are some kind of variants. Or if they find a nametag with for example Mimic, that really not exist.

I mean, I have been collecting for a long time, and also collects accessories, but I have seen repros that I would not know how to tell apart from the real deal if I didnt have an original at hand to compare with, or known that there was repros of it.  And still those that creates them says that you can easily see the difference between real and repro. Of course it easy if you are knowledged and know what to look for,and first of all, KNOW that it MIGHT be a repro, so you have to examine it. But the majority is not aware of these things, and we should be cascious.

Of course this is not relevant if you just print them on regular thin printer paper for your own use, but it you make them on hard paper with a quality that equals the real deal.

Instead of TM You'd want to brand them with an identification logo, as in my case, either put my business logo on the back or something identifying me as the creator. Or at least that is what I would be doing.
Branding, or business logo would be a good way to make sure its not the real deal. It dont have to be big, or it can be on the back.
I agree with removing the "TM' and would perhaps suggest taking it one step further as WE all know the TM should be there but other people may not necessarily be aware of this. So my suggestion is: replace the "TM" with "REPRO". Very small. Then there is really absolutely no chance whatsoever that anyone would ever confuse them with the originals.
This is a great idea! As you said, others might not know all real should have TM marks (I have never tought of that before) So a little repro print would be great! or a watermark at the back.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal