collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Grooming Parlour / Pretty Parlor NAME CARDS  (Read 7385 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Grooming Parlour / Pretty Parlor NAME CARDS
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2018, 06:20:29 AM »
I like the idea of replacing the "TM" with a little "REPRO" or otherwise marking them as a repro somewhere. Never hurts to make it clear that it's not the real deal.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2018, 09:08:41 AM »
If someone really wanted to make these and pass them off as legit, it's not hard to do.

So if for instance if I really wanted to, I have all the equipment to remake these and even make them look legitimate, even with perforation, I have 2 perf machines so it wouldn't be that difficult for me to even match the perf impressions depending on the wheel hasbro used.

Do I want or have any desire to do that? NO.

I dont think anyone here would do it for profit or cheat others, but even having them available for free for others to use, we never know where they will end up in a few years. We may have the best of intentions today, but we cannot say what will happen in the future.  Even if noone is actually scamming anyone, they can be passed on as real because lack of knowledge.

But we need to just back up to the beginning, there have ALWAYS been people who try to pass off things as legit.

This one time at a flea market I had this one lady try to insist the pony she had was worth more money because it was signed/writing on it. But the pony was just in a large plastic bin of ponies. It wasn't a pony set aside like something special, it was at the bottom of a bin.

So the suggestion that I need to worry about every collector and every possible scamming situation, honestly it's too much to worry about IMO.

If 25 or 50 or 100 years there is a lot of stuff out there that is probably going to be identified or passed off as real - even some customs look legit. So I see some folks are saying in a couple of years OMG, scammers, but what about in 50 years, 100 years? Most of us are going to be dead at a certain point, and our collections are going to move on somewhere; do I really need to be thinking about that?

Is it a super big concern of mine? Not really, I've never seriously worried about it. And maybe it's just because I've been into MLP so long that I can usually spot something that isn't real or at least be a pretty good guesser that it doesn't bother me so much. But am I supposed to worry about the collector who comes along in 50-60 years who is maybe buying my pony collection after I'm dead...

I have a lot of things to worry about and I don't need that kind of stress in my life and I'm thinking nobody else does either. In fact, now that that is in my head, I'm annoyed with whoever that person is buying my ponies.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2018, 01:41:49 PM »
As Karen said, it's not hard to make a fake if you have the right equipment.  If a file of any kind is made available or someone has enough time on their hands to reproduce the simple design of the Parlor tags, then they are going to be capable of making something that passes as legit and/or removing all the 'repo' or watermarking they want.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »
well yeah, of course if someone's determined to scam then they'll probably also be determined enough to remove the marks identifying them as a repro - but it doesn't hurt to try and prevent that, surely? :p 'Sides, I doubt anyone would actually try it on. I think probably there's more risk of people innocently mistaking them for the real deal.

Also to clarify, I was only suggesting a "repro" mark should be put on any reproductions that are available online, not on ones made for personal use X3 If that makes sense. Obviously y'all can do whatever you want for your own collections.

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2018, 04:11:46 AM »
I'm not talking about 50 years down the road, but maybe 4-5 years. I dont even think ponycollecting will be a big thing in 50 years, so you probably dont need to worry ablut that.

Yes that it is easy for those who WANT to scam, to make repros that looks original, that doesnt mean we should make repros that looks exactly like the original, but try to prevent that it happens by mistake.
I'm sorry, but to me it just sound a little lazy to just say "meh, its already easy for people to scam if they want to, so I dont care if people will be scamming others with my repros".

I mean, its not a big deal to mark the repros with "repro" or a watermark, then you have done what you can, and wont have to worry any more.

And yes, there is always people that will be trying to pass on things as legit, but why make it easier for them? If the word repro is added somewhere on the product, it would probably rise questions even by the newest of collectors.

well yeah, of course if someone's determined to scam then they'll probably also be determined enough to remove the marks identifying them as a repro - but it doesn't hurt to try and prevent that, surely? :p
'Sides, I doubt anyone would actually try it on. I think probably there's more risk of people innocently mistaking them for the real deal.Also to clarify, I was only suggesting a "repro" mark should be put on any reproductions that are available online, not on ones made for personal use X3 If that makes sense. Obviously y'all can do whatever you want for your own collections.

That is my thought as well. Its not really the scamming parts that worries me most, but people that think they are real by lack of knowledge.
And yes, for your own collection, do whatever you want, but as soon as it involves others it should be clear that it is a replica and cannot be mistaken as the real deal.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2018, 07:47:44 AM »
aaa Leikin, you said everything I wanted to say but could never have worded it nearly as well as you did! :iconclap:

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
I'm not talking about 50 years down the road, but maybe 4-5 years. I dont even think ponycollecting will be a big thing in 50 years, so you probably dont need to worry ablut that.

4-5 years? If you're closer to the fire the more likely you are to get burned.

I'm pretty sure in 4-5 if someone comes in trying to make the 'moochobigmoney' off pretty parlor name tags - I'm thinking it'll be easier to identify and point out in 5 years opposed to 50. Not sure that small amount of time would be harder. I'll still hopefully be around in 5 to point out the scammers if they show up, I can't account for 50 and who will be around to point it out. That's kind of the point I was making. We're sort of saying we want to control the system, but only for the next 5 years...but it's saying well, I'll be dead in 50 years so who cares about those collectors. It's almost like saying while I'm here I'm gonna care, which technically sounds almost like what I was saying.

I'm not going to make all around statement that MLP will not be collectable in 50 years. I can't say that for sure, there are plenty of things that are 50 years old that people still want or want to see. At some point ponies will be considered antiques, actually I don't know at what point it crosses that threshold.

But 5, 10, 20. I'd assume the concern about fake things would still be the same even if we're all dead and gone, right? But then again, being a realist here and knowing I can't control every situation.

Yes that it is easy for those who WANT to scam, to make repros that looks original, that doesnt mean we should make repros that looks exactly like the original, but try to prevent that it happens by mistake.
I'm sorry, but to me it just sound a little lazy to just say "meh, its already easy for people to scam if they want to, so I dont care if people will be scamming others with my repros".

Wow, lazy. Thanks?

If I or my words are to be considered lazy, then I'm not sure what to say about those that insist on a forum that by stopping the responsible collectors from creating things or discussing them, that it's going to prevent the actual real life scammers from doing something?

A lot of us have been here a long time, I don't think a majority of us are lazy or scammers, or I'd hope we wouldn't result to calling other collectors lazy. But I guess we are at that point. To me it's being more realistic to say, there are scammers and always have been. It's sorta like putting up a warning sign. There are bears in the woods. You probably will not get attacked but just be aware.

I don't quite see how that is lazy? Does saying that mean I agree with scamming??? Does saying that suggest I'm not going to point out a scam when I see one???

Not sure how being realistic about it means I'm lazy, but fine...I'm a lazy unicorn, I'll take it.

I mean, its not a big deal to mark the repros with "repro" or a watermark, then you have done what you can, and wont have to worry any more.

Errr, yea, I think almost everyone agreed ( I mean I didn't take a poll in the thread) but it seem to me like the general mood from everyone is that if IF IFFFFFF we made unique tags for ourselves we would try to put identification on it to show that it wasn't original. So I'm not sure why the constant insistence that we put ID's on the tags, when most of us seem to say we'd put ID's on what we make.

And yes, there is always people that will be trying to pass on things as legit, but why make it easier for them? If the word repro is added somewhere on the product, it would probably rise questions even by the newest of collectors.

Maybe put in big letters on the back: Lazy Collector
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:57:25 AM by KarentheUnicorn »

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
Jeez just put Repro where the Trademark would be in scans/originals and call it good. If a scammer edits it or a seller takes terrible photos, it's not you fault.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2018, 06:38:24 PM »
Everyone's free to do what they want, of course, but I'm not making something purposely uglier or that detracts from my own enjoyment.  In 50 years, there'll probably be machines that are 'press a button, instant pony'.  So all this kafuffle seems pointless but amusing.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »
Everyone's free to do what they want, of course, but I'm not making something purposely uglier or that detracts from my own enjoyment.  In 50 years, there'll probably be machines that are 'press a button, instant pony'.  So all this kafuffle seems pointless but amusing.

yesss...the lazy pony way...sadly the machine will only makes pinkie pie...
 :biggrin:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »
I'd expect these would be for individual collectors, not for sale anyways.  Anything I make  would be freely available for anyone who wanted to use it for personal, non-commercial use.  Selling stuff just potentially opens you up to all sorts of unwelcome legal attention.

It's all free till somebody starts shipping/mailing something OR changes stuff....

but I want the super ultra glow in the dark glitter gloss paper; I thought you said it was free. waaa!

LOL! :silly:

Is that so you can brainwash us for your own evil schemes? ;)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2018, 08:26:12 PM »
I'd expect these would be for individual collectors, not for sale anyways.  Anything I make  would be freely available for anyone who wanted to use it for personal, non-commercial use.  Selling stuff just potentially opens you up to all sorts of unwelcome legal attention.

It's all free till somebody starts shipping/mailing something OR changes stuff....

but I want the super ultra glow in the dark glitter gloss paper; I thought you said it was free. waaa!

LOL! :silly:

Is that so you can brainwash us for your own evil schemes? ;)

Yessss....warning...My evil schemes usually involve a LOT of glitter.

But incidently glitter name tags would be super snazzy.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2018, 10:00:11 PM »
Seems to me the most important thing is to maintain the repositories of knowledge, like the Wiki, so that people have a reliable place to look up genuine items.  Easier and more productive than trying to 'police' fan-made items.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2018, 02:23:33 AM »

4-5 years? If you're closer to the fire the more likely you are to get burned.

I'm pretty sure in 4-5 if someone comes in trying to make the 'moochobigmoney' off pretty parlor name tags - I'm thinking it'll be easier to identify and point out in 5 years opposed to 50. Not sure that small amount of time would be harder. I'll still hopefully be around in 5 to point out the scammers if they show up, I can't account for 50 and who will be around to point it out. That's kind of the point I was making. We're sort of saying we want to control the system, but only for the next 5 years...but it's saying well, I'll be dead in 50 years so who cares about those collectors. It's almost like saying while I'm here I'm gonna care, which technically sounds almost like what I was saying.

I'm not going to make all around statement that MLP will not be collectable in 50 years. I can't say that for sure, there are plenty of things that are 50 years old that people still want or want to see. At some point ponies will be considered antiques, actually I don't know at what point it crosses that threshold.

But 5, 10, 20. I'd assume the concern about fake things would still be the same even if we're all dead and gone, right? But then again, being a realist here and knowing I can't control every situation.

Wow, lazy. Thanks?

If I or my words are to be considered lazy, then I'm not sure what to say about those that insist on a forum that by stopping the responsible collectors from creating things or discussing them, that it's going to prevent the actual real life scammers from doing something?

A lot of us have been here a long time, I don't think a majority of us are lazy or scammers, or I'd hope we wouldn't result to calling other collectors lazy. But I guess we are at that point. To me it's being more realistic to say, there are scammers and always have been. It's sorta like putting up a warning sign. There are bears in the woods. You probably will not get attacked but just be aware.

I don't quite see how that is lazy? Does saying that mean I agree with scamming??? Does saying that suggest I'm not going to point out a scam when I see one???

Not sure how being realistic about it means I'm lazy, but fine...I'm a lazy unicorn, I'll take it.

Errr, yea, I think almost everyone agreed ( I mean I didn't take a poll in the thread) but it seem to me like the general mood from everyone is that if IF IFFFFFF we made unique tags for ourselves we would try to put identification on it to show that it wasn't original. So I'm not sure why the constant insistence that we put ID's on the tags, when most of us seem to say we'd put ID's on what we make.

Maybe put in big letters on the back: Lazy Collector

Wow. I never said that YOU where lazy, just that it sounded lazy to not want to put repro or watermark on a thing, just because you dont care what people do in 50 years. You said earlier that you would be adding your company name on them if making, so that was clearly not inteded to you, but to the whole point if people just dont care enough on what happens to others, because it just dont bothers them.
Of course it will be harder to know the real from the repros in 50 years, if we not bother to pinpoint the differences today, or mark repros so they are easy to identify.
Sure, you may be dead in 50 years, but does that mean that we should not care? I think we, as a comunity have the responsibility to preserve to pony history, if people will still be collecting in 50 years. So in that mean, yes, it IS lazy to not mark repros, just because you dont care what happens 50 years down the road. (and again, you said you would mark them, so not intended to you, but in general.)

And I dont think people will sell nametags to make a big buck on money.  that is not what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about that people will not know the difference in the future, be it 5 or 50 years.
No you cant control every situation, but you can do what you can to prevent it from happen.
And being realistic, yes, making repros that look exactly like the original WILL be mistaken as originals in the future. We can try to prevent that. Yes, THere WILL be scammers in the future. But with a repro mark that would be harder to do, wouldnt it?
And NO, I dont think most of you are scammers, I have never said that, so I dont know where you get that from. But you are right, there are, and always will be. But that is not my big concern. Again, my concern is that people will unknowingly buy things they think are real, from anknowingly sellers, and somewhere along the line we will loose the grip on what is the real deal or not, if they are not properly marked.

And I have never (nor have I seen someone else here) said that I want to stop collectors from doing repros or talk about them on the forum. Why would I?  Quite the opposite, I encourage it, as long as they are proparly marked. And discussions about them are just good, as it keep people aware, and maybe inspire others.  There are a lot of great repros out there, from people that mark them as such.
And I was never talking about just the name tags, but repros in general. The discussion just happened to be in a thread about name tags. So go ahead, and make your own name tags. It would be fun to see how people desig tha nametags for ponies never made. :)  The nametag presented earlier in this thread was really preatty imo.

And yes, most seem to agree that they should be marked, so I dont understand why some people feel the need to still argue about that I'm wrong, as most seem to agree that it should be marked? I really dont get that.
And if the thought that I may have called you lazy bothers you, maybe you should tone done your own sarcasm a bit, as it is never a good way of keeping a discussion friendly.

Of course not. Why make it uglier? You can make it prettier if you want, or just alike. Just be sure to mark it accordingly (if they can be confused with originals)if they would ever change hands. (Mark it on the back, if you dont want it visible when displaying)

aaa Leikin, you said everything I wanted to say but could never have worded it nearly as well as you did! :iconclap:
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2018, 02:52:28 AM »
Yes, THere WILL be scammers in the future. But with a repro mark that would be harder to do, wouldnt it?
Marking stuff as reproduction does not stop scammers.  Anyone with some time/skill/tech can get around watermarks with little-to-no fuss, and if anyone was actually trying to pass off their bootleg as the genuine deal, they would probably do so.

The only thing marking repo's does is (maybe) tell an uninformed buyer/seller that they have a reproduction on their hands, if they notice it.

Of course not. Why make it uglier? You can make it prettier if you want, or just alike. Just be sure to mark it accordingly (if they can be confused with originals)if they would ever change hands. (Mark it on the back, if you dont want it visible when displaying)

Don't tell others what they should or shouldn't do with their own time / skills. :huh:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal