collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone enjoy Genealogy?  (Read 7762 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Re: Anyone enjoy Genealogy?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »
My DNA says I'm
29% Great Britian
24% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
21% Europe West
17% Scandinavia
6% Iberian Peninsula
3% South Europe

Ireland/Scotland/Wales is Great Britain! So you are 53% British! How cool.

You have all inspired me to try and trace my family tree. Not sure how reliable the DNA stuff is...is it legit? I know with dog DNA tests they pretty much just make things up.

Yes its on the same island but im sure there is a difference. A friend also did the dna test on ancestry and she has close relatives in ireland, so it could actually pinpoint the area in ireland on ancestry. Her ireland percentage was way higher than mine.

So i think its affected by how close you are. plus my cousin did hers and we are 1st cousins and her great britian was way up in the 40s compared to mine.

My dads percent is also way different, so that is how ancestry lists is so im pretty sure there are markers in thr dna and enought people have done the tests where they can see the difference in the ireland/scotland/wales compared to great britian.

I know the dna is reliable, especially on identifying family. Ancestry shows my dad as my dad, my first cousin and and uncle come up correctly. There are also other cousins who have twken it that show up in my matches.

Its a good time to buy a kit on ancestry, they are on sale till the 20th of this month.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:42:48 PM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »
Not to split hairs, but I don't think many Irish people would be happy being called Great Britain xD.

I am guessing the 2nd percentage on Uni's breakdown means Celtic ancestry of some kind, because those are the nations with the most Celtic association - language, etc. And that's why it's separated out.

I don't really understand what 'Great Britain' is meant to mean, though, in this context, since GB is technically England, Scotland, Wales (not Northern Ireland). I would've thought that if those account for Celtic, then Anglo Saxon and Viking would be covered by Europe West and Scandinavia?

My mother is very keen on this whole DNA thing and is still looking into whether to do it. My supervisor at university is also very hot on his - he's from Kentucky but a lot of his DNA matches are dotted across Germany :) He's married to a Japanese woman so goodness knows what his son's genetic map looks like...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 02:04:01 AM »
Not to split hairs, but I don't think many Irish people would be happy being called Great Britain xD.

I am guessing the 2nd percentage on Uni's breakdown means Celtic ancestry of some kind, because those are the nations with the most Celtic association - language, etc. And that's why it's separated out.

I don't really understand what 'Great Britain' is meant to mean, though, in this context, since GB is technically England, Scotland, Wales (not Northern Ireland). I would've thought that if those account for Celtic, then Anglo Saxon and Viking would be covered by Europe West and Scandinavia?

My mother is very keen on this whole DNA thing and is still looking into whether to do it. My supervisor at university is also very hot on his - he's from Kentucky but a lot of his DNA matches are dotted across Germany :) He's married to a Japanese woman so goodness knows what his son's genetic map looks like...

They may break it down the way they do depending on certain things, like the irish can acutally be broken down differently for some people. I saw on tv a lady did ancestry and like my friend they were able to pinpoint where in ireland her family came from.

Mine is potentially not close enough related to compare. However ancestry does say that they percentages can change. Im assuming as more people take it you get more and more relative matches.

Ive got so many matches on mine its kind of amazing.

Also being american/usa the ancestry site shows me when my ancestors migrated to the usa and what parts of the usa etc.

Im pretty sure if someone was say more welsh or scotish, maybe there thing wouldnt be lumped together.

But with mine It may not be able to tell exactly.

While i was doing the tree and connecting, i was able to find the german connection, but i still have to do a little research to make sure its right. Obviously with thr connection to arthur allen who came over in the 1600s from england...thats where my GB is coming from, i need to look at my dads again because if i remeber right his GB was lower than mine. Whe i get to work ill post his so people can see the difference. But i think my GB is mostly coming in from moms side.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 05:46:26 AM »
I didn’t want to get technical but if you want to really understand the craziness that is the British Isles:

GB = England, Scotland, Wales
UK= England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
British Isles = England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland

So I was generalising but I couldn’t understand why they put GB on your ancestry DNA thing and then listed the countries separately underneath as well, when they had already included them under GB.  They only really needed to include Ireland separately. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:53:38 AM by Noasar »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:22:13 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »
I don't think any of it is 100% perfect, but I do know for the most part Ancestry will match you with people who you are related to correctly.

gedmatch's site as I talked about in another post can give slightly different results but a lot of their tests really don't have a description. You just put your code in after you've uploaded your raw DNA file and then it'll break it down. So unless anyone really wants to read the whole thing on the genetics, to me it's just find to find out the breakdown but that it can also connect folks that didn't even know they were related.

Okay so backing up to the whole Ireland/Scotland/Wales discussion/question. I think obviously since my folks immigrated to the USA, the descriptions and site maps they show reflect 'immigrating' - I'm sort of thinking that someone who takes this test in England will potentially have different site maps than I do.

Anyway, I can click on each of the sections. So for Ireland/Scotland/Wales, when I click on that it gives me a whole other page about this percentage

Here is a copy paste of some of the info on that page
Ireland/Scotland/Wales
Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland

Also found in: France, England

Located in the eastern North Atlantic Ocean, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales remain linked to Celtic culture. Here, along with a handful of other isolated communities within the British Isles, are some of the last holdouts of the ancient Celtic languages that were once spoken throughout much of Western Europe. And though closely tied to Great Britain, both geographically and historically, all three have maintained their unique character through the centuries.

Prehistoric Ireland & Scotland
After the Ice Age glaciers retreated from Northern Europe more than 9,000 years ago, hunter-gatherers spread north into what is now Great Britain and Ireland, during the Middle Stone Age. Some 3,000 years later, during the New Stone Age, the first farming communities appeared in Ireland. The Bronze Age began 4,500 years ago and brought with it new skills linked to metalworking and pottery. During the late Bronze Age, Iron was discovered in mainland Europe and a new cultural phenomenon began to evolve.

According to long-standing theory, around 500 B.C., the Bronze Age gave way to an early Iron Age culture that spread across all of Western Europe, including the British Isles. These new people originated in central Europe, near what is Austria today. They were divided into many different tribes, but were collectively known as the Celts. New genetic evidence may challenge this theory of Irish origin.

The Celts
From around 400 B.C. to 275 B.C., various tribes expanded to the Iberian Peninsula, France, England, Scotland and Ireland—even as far east as Turkey. Today we refer to these tribes as "Celtic," though that is a modern term which only came into use in the 18th century. As the Roman Empire expanded beyond the Italian peninsula, it began to come into increasing contact with the Celts of France, whom the Romans called “Gauls.”

So I think as Taffeta explained, maybe it's more Celtic that it's talking about, or at least that is what it sounds like to me when I read through the above.

It looks like the Great Britian is described as Anglo-Saxon

Another thing that I just noticed (as they are always adding new features and I didn't notice this page before) If I go under the great britian info page, there is also a page now that is called Genetic Diversity. On that page at the top:
Genetic Diversity in the Great Britain Region
The people living in the Great Britain region today are more admixed than most other regions, which means that when creating genetic ethnicity estimates for people native to this area, we often see similarities to DNA profiles from other nearby regions. We’ve found that approximately 60% of the typical native’s DNA comes from this region.

Under that are more graphs and such but it shows How I compare to a person in Great Britian, It shows my 29% and says Typical native would be around 60%

There are even more graphs under but maybe we need to find someone who is native to UK who has taken a test, maybe that would show us why it's labeled the way it is on ancestry.

Whats internesting is the Ireland/Scotland/Wales says that a typical native there would be 95%

Anyway, I was going to post my dad's DNA so you guys could see the difference

Dad is listed
Europe West 46% (mine is 21%)
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 32% (mine is 24%)
Iberian 14% (mine is 6%)
Great Britian 6% (mine is 29%)
Scandinavian 2% (mine is 17%)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 07:36:31 PM »
I don't think any of it is 100% perfect, but I do know for the most part Ancestry will match you with people who you are related to correctly.

I think genetics test should be 100% for telling you haplogroups...

But then it's statistics after that for ethnicities and locations.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2018, 12:54:48 AM »
I tried once, a long time ago but didnt get too far.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 08:02:13 AM »
DNA testing.

https://www.eupedia.com/genetics/which_ancestry_dna_test_to_choose.shtml

The link above has info on the GEDmatch that I talked about. You can download your raw dna from some of the sites like ancestry and upload it into GEDmatch. There is a bunch of different stuff on there you can run your DNA kit through once you upload.

Like for instance, there is one that will predict your eye color, mine was fairly close, not exactly but it did get the general color correct.

Are you parents related test, which it says mine are distantly related, which I found out that by using ancestry's family tree features when I was paying - so I'd already determined that anyway before I used GEDmatch.

The other interesting things on it are all the different tests for admixture heritage.

Like i can use my kit number and select Eurogenes, then you can choose different tests from there, like Eurogene Hunter Gatherer Vs Farmer

So for mine it shows
53.81 Baltic Hunter Gatherer
35.73 Mediterranian Farmer
7.21 Anatolian Farmer
1.66 South Asian Hunter Gatherer
.75 South American Hunter Gatherer

Do I automatically know what all that means...meh not fully.

So just under the Eurogene tests there are like 13 tests, but it really doesn't tell you what each of those tests are actually, you have to read more into each and don't really have time to post all that here, etc.

If I just plug in to the first test on the list which is called Eurogenes K13
You'll get a page with a graph with info to the test
 So this will come up
This utility uses the Eurogenes K13 model (rev 21 Nov 2013), created by Davidski (Polako). Questions and comments about this model
should be directed to him at his Project Blog.

my graph comes up under that and lists
Population   
North_Atlantic   50.35
Baltic   22.14
West_Med   15.70
West_Asian   2.12
East_Med   5.45
Red_Sea   1.01
South_Asian   2.15
East_Asian   -   
Siberian   -   
Amerindian   1.08
Oceanian   -   
Northeast_African   -   
Sub-Saharan   -   

You'd probably have to look into the test info itself to understand what they define as which, etc. But it's still interesting to see what the tests say.

One of the test breaks it down and shows more countries, regions. So it just depends I think on which test I'd want to pay more attention to, etc.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 09:02:56 PM »
Just found this from one of my ancestors:

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 04:30:19 AM »
That’s so cool Loa!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 07:53:46 AM »
Why did they type the lower case "s" with an "f"?  It makes reading it out loud sound funny.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:55:51 AM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »
Why did they type the lower case "s" with an "f"?  It makes reading it out loud sound funny.

it's just how old-fashioned cursive script developed over the years.  Another fun example is how the letter "w" did NOT exist for many hundreds of years, it was always "v" which happened to look A LOT like "u". 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »
Thats cool Loa.

I had to look up what the Mayflower was. I had a hunch it was a boat but didn't realise important for history. It looks a bit after WW II when people immigrated to other parts of the world for a better life.
I checked out the ancestry.com site and saw there is a german site from them too which could give more info from my grandfather (mom side) since he was born in Germany. Something to think about :) And DNA could be for my unknown father side but realising that Israel (where I was born) also has this large immigration pool.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »

it's just how old-fashioned cursive script developed over the years.  Another fun example is how the letter "w" did NOT exist for many hundreds of years, it was always "v" which happened to look A LOT like "u".

If you look closely, at the end of "Goods" there is an actual lower case "s" (7th line down near the end) so it's kind of silly that they used "f" on the rest of it.  They also use it on "Cards," "Games," and "his" but not on "himself."  I wonder why some words merited an "s" and some an "f."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal