collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone enjoy Genealogy?  (Read 7721 times)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Anyone enjoy Genealogy?
« on: August 12, 2018, 05:14:50 AM »
Does anyone else love finding their ancestors?

On my maternal line I just found my 14th x Grandfather who was born in 1590. *faints*

Anyone else?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone enjoy Genealogy?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 07:43:01 AM »
That's pretty impressive. I've added to my family tree, got it to about the 1700s, but as my ancestors were all farm labouring peasants, records go a bit sparse after that! So am filling in gaps in info about grandparent's siblings, have found out the names of my grandparent's siblings who died in infancy which was nice to know. And to see Victorian census records and how my relatives met as they were obviously in neighbouring streets is also interesting. One day I'd like to visit some of the villages my GGG Grandparents lived.

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
My great grandparents were Russian/Irish and German/Welsh. I've never gotten very far, just a few generations. I know that my greatx2 grandfather was the last old fashioned dog catcher in whatever town in Germany he lived, and he was killed by a milk truck.

Now, my other greatx2 grandfather was pretty interesting and I've always wanted to find out more. He was born in Vologda and worked as a boatsman (like the song!) until he moved to a station in Moscow where he worked as a soviet scientist. Eventually, he came to the US, lied about his name and where he from, and became a Freemason. Just... :blink:

Tracing him was hard due to his lies (he said he was from Poland). I have a bunch of his stuff from my mom, both USSR and Freemason stuff. Fascinating!

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 08:11:54 AM »
Its fun and weird to figure out that im related to someone one that was on the mayflower im working on figuring out my paternal grandfather side
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 08:23:10 AM »
Yep... I got as far back as the 1690's... then things get foggy because that area of Europe was continually rampaged and pillaged through wars. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
Yes very interesting especially in the history part in how people came to that "location"
Every now and then I pick up a piece from my mother-grandmother side because thats the part most can be found online and can be linked. My grandmothers maiden name was Cohen so quite common in the Jewish community. I know my ancestors from that side came from Portugal. With a sad past (www II) and living in her birthtown I am positive there must be a lot to find. But sometimes I also want to know what of kind of history the other part of my DNA has. Then I think maybe I should do this DNA test to find out more.

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
I do, and I recently discovered I was related to Bruce Springsteen. Like 5th or 6th cousins, but still. It's basically the most New Jersey thing I can think of. And I AM from Monmouth/Ocean Counties (I lived in both for a long time), so there you go.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »
I use familysearch.org and according to that I am a descendant of Cleopatra and Marc Antony.  Although, I'm not 100% sure how accurate that is because some of the Royal lines stretched the truth a bit to convince the "commoners" that they had a "right" to rule.  It's like at the end of "A Knight's Tale" when the prince claims that William Thatcher was descended from an obscure line. 

I am also a descendant of King Duncan (Scottish king who was killed by his cousin for the throne--also the basis for the play MacBeth), Rob Roy, and King Louis XIV.  Again, the only one I know for sure is King Duncan (because of my Grandma's research) but the royal lines all tended to intermarry so it's very likely that once you find one royal you end up with others.

Also with Family Search there's another site relativefinder.org that will tell you how closely related you are to celebrities.  I think it said I was something like 17th cousins 3 times removed from Walt Disney for example.

One of the fun features of Relative Finder is that you can see how you are related to your friends. 

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 01:37:30 PM »
Well..
I wish.. but that depends on good records, and that just seems to be a dead end.

And just because people are married, doesn't mean that the wife had a kid from her husband. :/

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »
I used to have an ancestry.com account but canceled due to costs.  I can still work on my tree, I just don't have access to all the tools.  With my DNA, I'm 34% western European (some French and German), 33% Irish, Scottish, Wales, and 20% Scandinavian.  I've learned through research that the Scandinavian DNA could also be a result of Scots ancestors as some Scandinavian's migrated to Scotland, and my family says we're supposed to be mostly Scottish. 
The Highland Games come to Georgia once a year in October, and though I've hit a roadblock with my Hunter ancestry, I like to imagine I'm descended from Clans Hunter and Adams.  I like looking at family color tartans, and imagining myself wearing a kilt if I weren't so fat.
I found it interesting to find out that I had a multi-great grandfather who was chosen, along with two other men, to represent his county in a gathering of representatives for the state of Georgia when they were deciding to succeed from the Union.  He voted yes.  A book of his is in the library of a college in South Carolina.
I had another ancestor who went out possum hunting one night.  Somehow his oil lantern caught him on fire and he died a few days later of his burns!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:51:10 PM by Gator »

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »
My mother has been doing Ancestry.com since I was born (1997) and she's gotten me interested. She's tracked my fathers side and her side back a lot. She also started tracking my boyfriend's family trees and got him interested. Also doing the same for my brother/best friend now. Anyone who approaches her with interest she's willing to help lol

She and two others in my family are dedicated to it. We don't pay for world traveler so we can't go outside the USA but that's alright. My parents have also done DNA testing for it.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 04:09:10 PM »
One of my ancestors was a Campbell and I married into a clan of the MacDonalds.  HAHAHA  oh the irony!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »
I think it is interesting but don't have the energy to search myself. But on my mothers side there are several who are interested and are doing searches and every find they do they share in the family facebook group. We're descendents from Waara in Finland. I think they're down to the 1500s now. Now and again they find a picture and share. There are discussions weather or not we have samiblood (native) as well, since coming to Sweden, but there are no evidence found yet as there would have been during a time mixing blood with Sapmí would have been shameful. :( My grandmother is adamant there are no blood, and mom is sure because several of us have the features of it. I am tempted to make a DNA test to find out.

On dad side, I think we have a story back to the 1800s.. his side of the family came from Germany and the most excited thing happening there was a woman being hanged for murder.

I am very tempted to make a DNA test with Ancestry to see what comes up. A friend did and it was very interesting. I'm just not sure how accurate it is.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 04:04:00 AM »
One of my ancestors was a Campbell and I married into a clan of the MacDonalds.  HAHAHA  oh the irony!

Hi Cousin! :P

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 05:59:58 AM »
I think it's interesting to a degree but usually I find people who are obsessed with their ancestors to be kinda creepy. I have never met a person who didn't believe they came from a line of royalty. And don't get me started on those who believe a certain "bloodline" makes them superior people.
This way you end up with people like my ex, who was obsessed with France to a point he claimed his 12% French ancestry erased his Croatian parents and he himself was French nobility, so special and unlike those uncouth Croatians. It was a pain in the butt.

The origins of names is what really interests me and that is closely tied to ancestry research. This way I found out about my ancestors being huguenots fleeing from French Catholics to Germany and settling there. My Silesian ancestors also fled to Germany. So you could say I am a descendant of illegal immigrants due to persecution :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal