collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do any of you use a Tick Comb for pony rehab?Wondering how mine got so messed up  (Read 880 times)

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Does anypony else use a tick comb for their ponies? I use one and I’m baffled as to how mine got so messed up. I’m debating getting a new one but will it’s teeth just end up crooked like this one? Am I being too rough with mine? Am I the only one that this has happened to?visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
that is wild! i've NEVER seen anything like that and i've used flea/tick combs on my cats (who regularly attack and bite the combs lol) for YEARS! i just use a regular plastic comb for my pony rehabs and replace it every few years if its wearing out ... but usually they get stolen by the bf when he thinks its his lol
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
I just use a plastic comb as well, and not pony nor human hair has bent the plastic teeth out of shape like the comb here. Maybe it got dropped or caught on something?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
That happens to me too! I have not used a tick comb, but something similar and also plastic. Pony hair can be messy, and if you have a knotty, frizzy girl- the hair will rain ruin and despair upon your comb :blink:

Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
that is wild! i've NEVER seen anything like that and i've used flea/tick combs on my cats (who regularly attack and bite the combs lol) for YEARS! i just use a regular plastic comb for my pony rehabs and replace it every few years if its wearing out ... but usually they get stolen by the bf when he thinks its his lol
Gotta admit, I am kindda rough on hair with my literal "man hands", so thats how i THINK it got this bad? but honestly I didn't think I was being that rough! My combs and brushes actually get stolen by my dog! she loves to chew on them for some reason! But she's not the culprit to this mess!
I just use a plastic comb as well, and not pony nor human hair has bent the plastic teeth out of shape like the comb here. Maybe it got dropped or caught on something?
I don't think It got caught on anything but pony hair... I guess I need to pay closer attention when I brush...
That happens to me too! I have not used a tick comb, but something similar and also plastic. Pony hair can be messy, and if you have a knotty, frizzy girl- the hair will rain ruin and despair upon your comb :blink:

Oh thank goodness I'm NOT the only one after all!!!! Thank you for making me feel less alone in my plight! :D

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile

Oh thank goodness I'm NOT the only one after all!!!! Thank you for making me feel less alone in my plight! :D

Your welcome :P I don’t think I am that rough when I brush pony hair either, but maybe we are just that STRONG :lol:

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
How are you combing the hair? dry, wet, or wet with conditioner?  If you find that you have a hard time working out the knots in the hair (so that your comb gets bent) I'd advise wetting it, put on a liberal amount of conditioner and then combing it out starting from the ends.  That might make the knots easier to get out without putting a lot of strain on your comb.  It also makes the hair nice and soft and shiny after rinsing.

(I use just a plastic doll brush)

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
How are you combing the hair? dry, wet, or wet with conditioner?  If you find that you have a hard time working out the knots in the hair (so that your comb gets bent) I'd advise wetting it, put on a liberal amount of conditioner and then combing it out starting from the ends.  That might make the knots easier to get out without putting a lot of strain on your comb.  It also makes the hair nice and soft and shiny after rinsing.

I usually comb it out after wetting and conditioning it, I think I need to learn to only use this type of comb for fine tuning, but some knots are so stubborn and I get impatient!

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile

This is exactly how I do it ;) But some hair is just extremely knotty... :huh: Usually it’s not an issue, but when I’m cleaning and brushing 15+ ponies at the same time my comb tends to break :P

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Assuming your comb was only used to brush ponies, yes you're being way too rough on the nylon hair.  It's tedious but best to coax out the knots, not yank them out.  Putting a lot of tension on a strand of nylon stretches and deforms the fibre, leading to more frizz.  Ends up making the problem worse instead of better.

Start at the bottom, use lots of conditioner and groom with some conditioner still in, slowly.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I had a pony with hair so bad and frizzy that it snapped one of my Romance ponies' long handled combs. So I wouldn't be surprised if pony hair could demolish your comb too.

But yeah. Baby Sugarberry is probably right about the nylon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
Assuming your comb was only used to brush ponies, yes you're being way too rough on the nylon hair.  It's tedious but best to coax out the knots, not yank them out.  Putting a lot of tension on a strand of nylon stretches and deforms the fibre, leading to more frizz.  Ends up making the problem worse instead of better.

Start at the bottom, use lots of conditioner and groom with some conditioner still in, slowly.

Good point. Taking care of ponies is one of my excersises in training both carefulness and patience. I can do better... :P

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Gosh, wow, that's pretty impressive! I just use a normal black plastic comb for my ponies. And no, that hasn't happened yet. But I comb slowly and carefully (starting at the ends, and working my way gradually towards the roots) as I am scared of stretching the hair.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal