collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Whats wrong with LPS Merch? ( And my other sites)  (Read 1959 times)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
Whats wrong with LPS Merch? ( And my other sites)
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:40:09 PM »
So for quite some time I've got some comments on LPS Merch that my site has some errors, missing pets, wrong info like numbers and so on.

First of all about the generations: Yes I know my way of counting is different but it seems like there's no official way as some people call the kenner ones G1. That your method was first isnt a good argument imo. For those interested here's my opninion:

Spoiler
Ah found my mail. Please keep in mind that this is my opinion and my arguments. You're ofc allowed to disagree :)

"As the generations go, I believe there is no clear idea at which generation we are right now. As far as we know Hasbro doesn’t categorize their toys in generations.
The other thing that doesn’t help is that not everyone has the same idea about the generation order as well. Some of them for example claim that the Vintage Kenner ones from the 90s are actually generation 1 and that the 2005 ones from Hasbro are already Generation 2. Some also claim that generation 2 and 3 are the same but that means that G2 contains over 2300 pets. Also the G2 and G3 ones are quite different with the use of Eye-Symbols as well as the brand-design. A thing we also keep in mind is that everyone is able to edit Wikipedia. So for me it’s more a personal thing, that everyone has their own idea of which pets belong in which generation. I’ve written down my theories below:

G1 – The Start of Hasbro’s LPS line, pets are natural looking in terms of colors.
G2 – Introduction of the eye-symbols
G3 – Pets become more cartoon-like in terms of colors and expressions
G4 – Complete reboot in terms of pet-design and packaging, also ties in with the show
G5 – New pet-design as well as well as the packaging
Pet In the City – A smaller line that falls under G5, Counting restarts at #1
G5,5 – Counting starts again but thing in terms of packaging and logo are quite similar to G5
G6 – Pets are the same as G5,5. But there’s a total new way of counting pets (Series 1… *number) etc. Packaging and Logo have also drastically changed."

Alright so I also have people who tell me some pet info is wrong or missing but when I ask What exactly is wrong I never get a reply back. So I'm kinda lost atm.

So this is a topic where you can report the errors of my sites. Not Just LPS Merch but also MH and EAH Merch. I will fix it all as soon as possible. :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Whats wrong with LPS Merch? ( And my other sites)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:18:40 PM »
The new Target-exclusive Cutie Mark Crew set doesn't have listings! Just a heads up.  ;)
LPS is just sort of...are you going for an audience that collects the Kenner LPS, or just the 2005 and on ones? At least that's what it feels like as an outsider, maybe fans of the toys know more.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »
I think of the Kenner LPS as G1 and the new ones all G2, but with different series. I've never been into LPS after the Kenner ones though so I'm not sure how current fans think to treat them.

I noticed recently on EAHMerch that the "Sweet Treats" doll series doesn't appear to be there.

Keep up the good work! MLPMerch and EAHMerch have been invaluably helpful to me and I know so many others.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 05:07:07 AM »
Speaking as a casual 2005-onwards LPS fan, I too think of "G1" as being the original Kenner toys, "G2" as being the first run of Hasbro, and "G3" as the 2010s redesign.

I love your sites, btw ^^ They've been invaluable to me, especially the LPS one (I've been dying for a site like that for *years* now).

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »
Speaking as a casual 2005-onwards LPS fan, I too think of "G1" as being the original Kenner toys, "G2" as being the first run of Hasbro, and "G3" as the 2010s redesign.

I love your sites, btw ^^ They've been invaluable to me, especially the LPS one (I've been dying for a site like that for *years* now).

Same with me.
I'm a fan of the kenner ones, and the newest designs-- and this is what i think in terms of "generations"

If categorizing them into gens are too complicated, what about just sticking to year releases and having people sort that way

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Sweet Daes

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »
Generation 0 seems much more accurate since LPS was one of those toy lines that could have evaporated into obscurity as others, like Krystal Princess, Starcastle Teacup Collection, Crystal Heart Collection, Street Sharks, Tonka Trucks... The list can go on.

From my perspective, "G1" is quite the hefty label for a toy line that has changed hands because of corporate absorption. It's not inherently bad, but I think it's better to label the Kenner toy line of LPS as G0, or GZ. There are so many perpendicular factors and differences between then and now (NOT including the evolution of childrens' toys over the years) that it would not be inaccurate to say that LPS Gen 0 lasted through 1995 and was just the beginning.

Just my opinion, anyway.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »
If categorizing them into gens are too complicated, what about just sticking to year releases and having people sort that way

ohh, I really like this idea. That way everyone's happy ^^ Seems less confusing, too.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 01:14:37 AM »
The new Target-exclusive Cutie Mark Crew set doesn't have listings! Just a heads up.  ;)
LPS is just sort of...are you going for an audience that collects the Kenner LPS, or just the 2005 and on ones? At least that's what it feels like as an outsider, maybe fans of the toys know more.

On this subject, (and great work on the code investigation) you mention that these are starting to show up around the world - but the Cutie Mark Crew have been out in Europe since around June (at least in the UK, maybe not where you are?). I am unsure if you have mentioned that already on a different page, I just noticed it this morning.

On another note - I think whatever sorting method makes the most sense and is easiest to organise makes sense to follow.

I've had a similar issue with people with my site who expect me to follow DV's outdated model of years and stuff for G1 and don't really understand that that method makes pony ID much harder for UK and European stuff (so is really impractical for my site). So then they tell me I should rework my whole site to suit their way of browsing, completely missing the point that my site isn't US-centric and therefore it makes no sense to follow that pattern.

Because it's what they're used to, they expect everyone to adhere to it, but it doesn't mean it's the only or even the best way to go forward, depending on the data you are trying to convey and your overall goal.

In my experience, most of the time those people (the ones who never come back to you) really don't know anything that they didn't find ten seconds earlier when googling. It's a credit to you that you're willing to work with and edit and update your site to be the best it can be, so don't let those people annoy you too much. Focus on the people who actually want to help with info, who bother to answer your questions and who can back up that info. Your site (at least the MLP one, I don't follow the other communities) is great :).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:34:55 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 05:48:28 AM »
Hmm. Well I would consider Kenner LPS as G1 but it was a huge part of my childhood.

I do think that they way you've broken up the gens is a bit finicky? I'm not a huge collector of them but does eye design really need its own generation tag? Maybe going by years would be better.

PS. I'm just being honest because you asked :P I like your sites very much and use the MLP one quite a bit :)

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 12:35:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. :) I haven't had much time these days. We're working super hard on the older gens for MLP (It will be released in about a month) I did have time today to make a final update for now for MH and EAH as I added some missing dolls and books. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal