collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about certain G4 Ponies  (Read 2562 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Question about certain G4 Ponies
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
Okay so ponies I really want (Diamond Rose, Feathermay, Flitterheart, more) are all like really expensive on places like eBay. Is it because they were early line ponies or are they actually rare? Any information is helpful! Thank you!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Question about certain G4 Ponies
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 06:47:09 PM »
It's because they were early line, and were not all that common, especially among bronies who snubbed them for not being from the show.  So when they did sell, they mostly sold to kids, not overwhelmingly to adult collectors who would still have them in good shape these days.

That and you have people who went in, bought show characters, and then just became MLP collectors trying to round out their collections.

I am absolutely kicking myself for getting rid of all of them.

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
Yeeeeah... I started collecting a little over a year ago. Luckily I've been able to nab my desired ponies for less than eBay prices, which is super nice.

I've found a lot of collectors are pretty enthusiastic about helping others to fill in those gaps, which is nice. A few wonderful people were generous enough to cut me a deal on loose ponies like Star Swirl and Rainbow Flash, and now I have almost all the G4 ponies I really, really want because of them.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
It's because they were early line, and were not all that common, especially among bronies who snubbed them for not being from the show.  So when they did sell, they mostly sold to kids, not overwhelmingly to adult collectors who would still have them in good shape these days.

That and you have people who went in, bought show characters, and then just became MLP collectors trying to round out their collections.

I actually happened to find Plumsweet's brushable at the thrift store today, but she was with other dirty g4's of the mane 6, and I didn't really want to buy them just to get her. I feel kinda bad for letting her slip through my fingers. Hopefully someone gives her (and the mane 6 clones) a good home.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »
I remember at the time some people were having a hard time finding Diamond Rose in store. Flitterheart and Feathermay were quite early in the line. Some collectors seemed a little picky about that wave it seemed too, only getting a few of the 6 singles released and many skipped Feathermay because of the head/body color mismatch she has. I wouldn't say rare necessarily by my personal definition of rare but they are going to be a little harder to find than others, especially as there were never any re-releases of those characters.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:07:54 PM by Flitter »

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 05:33:40 AM »
Another reason some of the earlier non-Mane 6 ponies are so uncommon is because they often came in big sets that a lot of people just couldn't afford or didn't want to spend money on, like Minty. I've had my best luck on shopgoodwill and thrift stores in general, too. Thrifting rewards patience with ponies that only cost a couple dollars when they're selling for $25-30 each online  :happy:

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 05:37:14 AM »
I think they were a lot harder to find than most releases, but they do appear from time to time. In my local toys r us, (south west U.K.) I saw them two weeks before my birthday. There were probably a couple of each (feathermay, flitterheart, snowcatcher, honeybuzz, plumsweet, lulu luck? twinkleshine? and maybe dewdrop dazzle. I put them all on my wish list and I got snow catcher. My parents said that was the only one they could get, and we went shopping on the day after my birthday and all were gone. They never came back in, so we had them for about two weeks. They pop up occasionally in lots but not very often, maybe a few a month.

Cherry pie and diamond rose however, were in my Toys’R’Us for a couple of months. I regret not buying them so badly! They’re also harder to find now so I don’t know if it was the case everywhere.

I hope this is a little helpful, I believe it is a combination of not being available for very long and also being early in the line :) I also never saw the favourites packs (except the flowery tattoo ones) in Toys’R’Us, but there were many available online here?

Edit: Secondhand, I have found 3 Lulu Luck and 1 snowcatcher
Mlp Sunsparkle x
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 05:39:04 AM by Mlp Sunsparkle »

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 06:49:48 AM »
My experience was also on the lines of sunsparkle's. I saw them once in Harrods of all places when I first moved down to London in 2011 for my MA. Because I'd just moved there I bought Feathermay and Honeybuzz as housewarming ponies but they were expensive so I didn'tt buy any others. Little did I know I would never see them in stores ever again :'(.

I think the ebay prices are a bit nuts to be honest. But I do think there were actual distribution issues with this set and a few others as well which has driven up the demand.

I'd suggest you just haunt the second hand sales, the toy fairs, the antique stores, thrift. Given that kids probably bought these more than collectors did, they're going to come up in those places. Not everyone is going to stick them on ebay for a profit. Also look for lots of ponies sold by parents getting rid of their kids' stuff, rather than the named and labelled lots aimed at collectors.

I haven't been lucky enough to stumble on Diamond Rose or Flitterheart yet but I have picked up Lulu Luck through that method. I've also found a few of them on cheaper BINs on ebay as well which is worth looking out for as well.

I think if G4 really is ending, then probably the number of kid collections being dispersed will also rise (like it did with G1, G3, and is now doing with Monster High). It's worthwhile being patient with that. If the market gets flooded the prices will drop so there's no sense in spending silly money on them in my opinion. I am totally expecting a flood of Holly Dashes here in the UK in the next few years xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »

Sounds to me like it sold to its target audience. Kids. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »

Shocking. I object. XD
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
I did see a G4 Minty when doing some G4 research. Is she also from that same first wave? And difficult to get?
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »
I did see a G4 Minty when doing some G4 research. Is she also from that same first wave? And difficult to get?

As someone said above, she came in a big multipony set. I picked her up on ebay for cheap though so I don't know if she is difficult to get...

The prototype one with the paler streaks is a different matter. I think she's quite expensive. But the regular one from the set I am not sure about.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 12:49:15 PM »

As someone said above, she came in a big multipony set. I picked her up on ebay for cheap though so I don't know if she is difficult to get...

The prototype one with the paler streaks is a different matter. I think she's quite expensive. But the regular one from the set I am not sure about.

Ooops, sorry- didn’t see she was already posted about :lookround: There are so many ponies from the G4 line I didn’t  know exist even. I didn’t know she had a prototype, but I’m fairly certain the regular one is the one I’m looking for. Thank you - I’m hoping to find all the G4s I’m looking for when thrifting so I’m hoping she was actually sold up here in the cold north too :P
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 01:09:01 PM »

Shocking. I object. XD

*uses gavel*
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 01:16:18 PM »
G4 Minty came in a large multi-pack set that, for whatever reason, somehow skipped the USA and got shipped North to Canada.  I found mine in a thrift store last year, but that was after years of searching. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal