collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thrift rescue stories  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Thrift rescue stories
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »
Sometimes I wonder, upon finding and taking ponies home from thrift shops, what their life might have been like before I adopted them.  Were they loved by tbeir child? What adventures did they go on, in their previous owner's imagination?  Were they loved before they were discarded? Some Pokemon games have a feature where your pocket monster pals recall their past adventures and experiences with you, in a similar aspect. What stories do you guys think your thrifted ponies could share with you from their pasts?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Thrift rescue stories
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:32:24 AM »
I usually figure out if the previous owners had dogs or cats because there's always pet hair woven into the pony hair! :D
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:44:10 AM »
There were plants in my perfume puffs hair so I guess she liked the outdoors!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:47:15 AM »

Oh my goodness, so did mine! I guess Perfume Puffs are surprisingly adventurous ponies.

I love finding ponies who have been given creative hair styles. I used to have a DVD that taught you how to do hair styles on dolls when I was little, and I sometimes used to use those hairstyles on my ponies. So I like to imagine little girls sitting down and giving their ponies a salon day. It's even cuter when you find them with handmade clothes!

There are some rather unfortunate stories that mine could tell me too, I'm sure. Any of the ones that have body parts missing or have been chewed on. I have a sea pony who has what looks like cat bite marks on her face, but the way the bites are positioned makes them look like scars, which is actually pretty neat! She battled the giant furry monster and survived.

It's funny because even when I go thrifting or buy big lots on shopgoodwill, I can somehow always tell which ponies came from the same household.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 07:50:37 AM »
I definitely wonder about this with ponies I find or acquire online as well. Especially if they have a child's name on the hoof or something like that.

A couple that I wonder most about are my Glory and Moondancer. Because neither pony was sold here, they must have come from overseas. So I wonder if they were American? Canadian? From somewhere in Europe? Somewhere else? And they somehow both lost their tails. I wonder how that happened, to have occurred to BOTH ponies, not just one. They came from the same home, but I wonder - were they always together? Did they belong to the same child? Was it even their first home that I acquired them from?

I am sure a lot of my ponies could tell some pretty cool stories about places they'd been, things they'd seen and so on...if they could.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:02:29 AM »
I do this with most of the toys/merch I find at Goodwill, it's kind of fun. The Moondancer I found at a local sci-fic convention (in a bin of what looked like thrifted small toys) is missing her tail. She must have made it invisible to put on another (more colorful one) during her adventures.

There are several G3 Goodwill ponies that have markers on their faces, must have had budding artists in that family.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 10:04:01 AM »
The Blossom I found had no tail and was very dirty like gravel dirty. Must have had alot of adventures in her life time
Icon by Minty_Magic

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »
I once found two ponies with those shiny back gem stickers on their heads. I also have found ponies with braided hair. I think it makes me happy to find out kids must of really loved the ponies. I also feel a little bittersweet because maybe their parents gave them away. I will never really know.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »
I once found two ponies with those shiny back gem stickers on their heads. I also have found ponies with braided hair. I think it makes me happy to find out kids must of really loved the ponies. I also feel a little bittersweet because maybe their parents gave them away. I will never really know.

I actually do have ponies that came from a very unhappy situation :/

Local collector - her parents divorced. Her mother was always more into the ponies I think than she was, but her dad kicked her and her mum out and then sold off her ponies. I have no idea if she consented or was even involved.

But among her ponies she had a really beat up Truly. I have no idea how she got a SS pony but she had a lot of really rare stuff which I think was more her mum than her. She wasn't allowed to play with the ponies (she was eleven I think when this happened) except a couple and Truly was one. I remember the one time we went to her place to trade with her and her mum before this, she was hugging Truly so she was fond of that one at least.

Truly now lives with  me. When her Dad sold them off, I remember looking for her especially because even if I couldn't fix her family, or get the pony back to her original owner, at least I could take care of her.

So one of my Trulys comes from a genuinely broken home and very sad circumstances. She now acts as sentry guarding my SS and winger cabinet, in pride of place.

Her Dad did say when he sold them that she 'no longer cared about them anyway' so I don't know if the girl cared that they were sold. And honestly, we had some bad interactions with these people, waving ponies in my sister's face to upset her and stuff. BUT when it all ended like that, I guess the animosity kind of went. I mean, that's rough. So yeah. Sadly not all ponies come from happy homes.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »

Or the kids grew up and stopped loving them. I find that equally sad because I still love my childhood toys(not in the same way I did as a child, but I wouldn’t throw them out...). It’s like Toy story in real life :cry:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »
My more recent finds must have been chucked into a garage. There is very little flocking rub-off but the hair had a few natural decorations.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
I live in the southeastern United States. Back between 1995 to 1998, there was a thrift store I visited regularly for ponies.  Toys were sold by the bag.  One day I found this ugly yellow pegasus, with horrible rainbow hair, whose symbol was red hearts growing black sticks.  She also had strange, different stamps on her hooves.  Since she had a plastic leakage issue, I wrapped her up and stored her in a pony lunchbox away from the rest of my collection, and forgot about her.
 Years later, discovering the arena and learning about nirvanas and ponies of different nationalities, I realized I had a Brazilian Heart Throb!
So for years I've wondered about her and how she got to the states.  Did some little girl love her so much that she chose this toy to take with her when her family moved to the states?  And if so, after such a journey, how did poor Heart Throb end up in a grab bag of toys at a thrift store for $4.99?  What happened to her person? 

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 06:06:19 PM »
The weirdest pony I've found at a thrift store is what look like a custom, but it wasn't attractive or complete? It was a brush and grow pony with black hair and it was covered in thick brown paint. I took off the paint to see was was underneath. The body looks died or something. And the hair mechanism works! Well, until I broke off the head after peaking inside out of curiosity.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 06:25:08 PM »
My more recent finds must have been chucked into a garage. There is very little flocking rub-off but the hair had a few natural decorations.
hm. Wonder what stories those ponies had to tell, if they could talk. Garage explorers? Battles with rogue spiders? Paint wars with enemy ponies?

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »

Oh my goodness, so did mine! I guess Perfume Puffs are surprisingly adventurous ponies.

I love finding ponies who have been given creative hair styles. I used to have a DVD that taught you how to do hair styles on dolls when I was little, and I sometimes used to use those hairstyles on my ponies. So I like to imagine little girls sitting down and giving their ponies a salon day. It's even cuter when you find them with handmade clothes!

There are some rather unfortunate stories that mine could tell me too, I'm sure. Any of the ones that have body parts missing or have been chewed on. I have a sea pony who has what looks like cat bite marks on her face, but the way the bites are positioned makes them look like scars, which is actually pretty neat! She battled the giant furry monster and survived.

It's funny because even when I go thrifting or buy big lots on shopgoodwill, I can somehow always tell which ponies came from the same household.
Perfume Puffs- prone to adventure in the outdoors with or without their human. XD  I wonder what they were doing...tame pony picnics and rolling around in dandelions, or romping in the wild outdoors and battling the elements and giant killer butterflies?

how does a seapony fight a cat? Unless it was a catfish that battled with her.....That must've been one epic battle if it left scars on the poor dear. That'd be one heckuva story to pass on to future generations of seaponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal