collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: g4 fandom paranoia. THE END IS NIGH!  (Read 12510 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: g4 fandom paranoia. THE END IS NIGH!
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2018, 10:14:18 AM »
I wouldn't actually be surprised if they are entirely separate.

I mean, we've seen retro ponies before, albeit with mixed success.

We also had the dollymix ponies which at least here in the UK had a range of G1 ponies at the time G3 was out.

I am not totally sure when Primark (especially) began to sell pony stuff. I think it's definitely reached a pitch with the planned release of Rainbow ponies, but it's been happening for a while. I have a top with Sundance, Lofty and a rainbow on it which I've had a long time...I think pre G4. I also have a couple from the US which are even older than that.

I admit I am fed up with seeing the word 'Sparkle' anywhere on images of Princess Amethyst, but it proves it's all coming out of the US, not from any UK source. But when you see weird art errors on the ponies like Moonstone being white or Princess Amethyst with Windy's rainbow hair/Windy with weird pink sequin hair it also feels a little bit like they're throwing it together without caring about accuracy. They're not looking to appeal to bronies, who favour G4, or G1 fans, who notice those differences - but just the people on an 1980s nostalgia kick...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
Yeah MLP nostalgia is also part of that general 80s toy nostalgia because the kids from back then are having kids themselves (and disposeable income).

Still, I think some attention was brought back to G1 because FiM attracted a new female fanbase as well. Those cosplaying young women I mentioned earlier. Hasbro took note of those and declared them the target group for the nostalgic merch.
Not to mention the focus on the same G1 ponies over and over again. If it was for pony collectors they would use more obscure characters or just Mimic on everything :lol:

Don't we wish.

Oooh, or maybe some boy ponies. (If Hasbro was targeting us)
A shirt with all the Mountain Boys on it sounds amazing.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2018, 11:03:46 AM »
Yeah MLP nostalgia is also part of that general 80s toy nostalgia because the kids from back then are having kids themselves (and disposeable income).

Still, I think some attention was brought back to G1 because FiM attracted a new female fanbase as well. Those cosplaying young women I mentioned earlier. Hasbro took note of those and declared them the target group for the nostalgic merch.
Not to mention the focus on the same G1 ponies over and over again. If it was for pony collectors they would use more obscure characters or just Mimic on everything :lol:

Don't we wish.

Oooh, or maybe some boy ponies. (If Hasbro was targeting us)
A shirt with all the Mountain Boys on it sounds amazing.

:frolic: That would make me happy, but I want Repro Mountain Boys to be sold. EVERYWHERE.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »
I am imagining the rage if TBD made them and then only sold them in the UK xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2018, 11:20:55 AM »

I'd foresee an uptick in vacays to the UK if they did that. XD See the sights. Soak up the culture and history. Buy Mountain Boys en masse.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2018, 11:28:36 AM »

I'd foresee an uptick in vacays to the UK if they did that. XD See the sights. Soak up the culture and history. Buy Mountain Boys en masse.

Our economy could probably use the boost. *Goes to petition TBD* ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
IMHO I am shocked that G4 is still going... I thought for sure they'd stop at Season/Year 5.  But... it was unexpectedly a cash cow with the surprise demographic of bronies.  So of course Hasbro wants to drag it out as far as they can.  But all good things must come to an end... I just want it to happen SOON so I can decide if I like G5 and if I get to pay attention to toy releases over the next ten more years, or just continue to ignore them all.

I agree, even maybe season 4 or possibly 3.  To be honest that's where I was less interested and just watched it for something to watch.  I don't watch it anymore, because it seems to focus on characters from the new movie which I didn't watch, nor do I intend to watch.  I watch the first episode of the new season to see if I would want to watch it and it had new characters which were from the movie since they talked about the "events" that happened in the movie.  I only know of the main enemy or boss and they talked about how they defeated her and that was enough for me to figure it out.

I mean I feel like G4 is dying and has been for a while, they're even ending BronyCon, not sure if that has to do with less interest than in the beginning or not.

But, Hasbro has brought back MLP a few times so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried again with G5.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:59:43 AM by Majesty »

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
IMHO I am shocked that G4 is still going... I thought for sure they'd stop at Season/Year 5.  But... it was unexpectedly a cash cow with the surprise demographic of bronies.  So of course Hasbro wants to drag it out as far as they can.  But all good things must come to an end... I just want it to happen SOON so I can decide if I like G5 and if I get to pay attention to toy releases over the next ten more years, or just continue to ignore them all.

I agree, even maybe season 4 or possibly 3.  To be honest that's where I was less interested and just watched it for something to watch.  I don't watch it anymore, because it seems to focus on characters from the new movie which I didn't watch, nor do I intend to watch.  I watch the first episode of the new season to see if I would want to watch it and it had new characters which were from the movie since they talked about the "events" that happened in the movie.  I only know of the main enemy or boss and they talked about how they defeated her and that was enough for me to figure it out.

I mean I feel like G4 is dying and has been for a while, they're even ending BronyCon, not sure if that has to do with less interest than in the beginning or not.

But, Hasbro has brought back MLP a few times so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried again with G5.

No characters from the movie came back, and the only links to it in the latest season (which is the first season after it chronologically) is the first minute of the first episode that explains why a major character from the movie isn't here and that the events of the movie are why the map extends, and the existence of the seaponies/hippogryphs (but the only 2 important ones from the movie don't come back). It doesn't focus on the movie at all, and the new characters (mostly the student 6) were all introduced this season. I'm not saying it's a must watch since it had a few really bad episodes and it's far from the best season of the show, but it has some good/great episodes and not watching it because "it focuses on characters from the movie" is a completly wrong reason.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:58:27 PM by Jorgito93 »

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »

No characters from the movie came back, and the only links to it in the latest season (which is the first season after it chronologically) is the first minute of the first episode that explains why a major character from the movie isn't here and that the events of the movie are why the map extends, and the existence of the seaponies/hippogryphs (but the only 2 important ones from the movie don't come back). It doesn't focus on the movie at all, and the new characters (mostly the student 6) were all introduced this season. I'm not saying it's a must watch since it had a few really bad episodes and it's far from the best season of the show, but it has some good/great episodes and not watching it because "it focuses on characters from the movie" is a completly wrong reason.

It can be a wrong reason to not want to watch it if it's my reason.  Since you've seen more of the season then I have I'll take your word on no references to the movie, I see what you mean by "wrong reason" from that perspective.  I saw the new breeds of animals in the school and that was my reference to the movie, along with talking about defeating the enemy.  But, overall, in my opinion, FIM has gone downhill and I don't get any joy from watching it anymore and it seems like the show has lost what was once good about it.  Things don't make sense and the focus of the show seems to be going in a wrong direction.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:43:52 PM by Majesty »

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »
OK so I decided to give season 8 a chance.  I had some serious catching up to do...watching some videos online (some of which were mirrored making the voices highpitched and what not for copyright violations) but I got the point of it.  It wasn't actually that bad.  I'm at the point now where I'm just waiting for new episodes.  There were a few references to the Storm King and we saw the transformation of the sea ponies, etc but now I feel like I should watch the movie just to fill in any gaps.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2018, 01:42:25 PM »
I find myself becoming bored with the season as it is. I still enjoyed the movie a lot more than any ep that came out this season.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2018, 04:14:21 PM »
I switched into what I think was an episode of this series a few weeks back. Celestia was a really bad actresss and Twilight didn't want to tell her.

The reason I wasn't totally sure if it was a part of this same school motif was that the non-pony species characters were basically just stage dressing. I am not even sure if any of them had lines, they just seemed to be there...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2018, 04:22:36 PM »
It sounds like more stuff got leaked regarding G5. I can't find exact things because Reddit is down now, but it sounds like G4 is nearly over at this point.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2018, 06:31:46 AM »
It sounds like more stuff got leaked regarding G5. I can't find exact things because Reddit is down now, but it sounds like G4 is nearly over at this point.

Here you go, spoiler warning/general Reddit warning.  https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittleredacted/comments/95qwhi/mlp_generation_5_email_info/

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2018, 06:58:21 AM »

Here you go, spoiler warning/general Reddit warning.  https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittleredacted/comments/95qwhi/mlp_generation_5_email_info/

I hope these leaks are true because
Spoiler
"Inspired by Star vs Forces of Evil" sounds perfect for MLP and could finally give me what I wanted since watching RAMNC for the first time: pony adventures with high stakes.

Three pony kingdoms sounds interesting. The other races sound cool! But I hope "human sized dragons" does not mean they are too anthropomorphic.

The only thing I hate is Spike still having a crush on Rarity. Stop. Nobody needs this. It leads nowhere and only makes Rarity look "mean" for rightfully saying no to him.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal