collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: g4 fandom paranoia. THE END IS NIGH!  (Read 12546 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: g4 fandom paranoia. THE END IS NIGH!
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2018, 12:22:51 AM »
I'm going to be old and cranky now but I would have been fine not having pony 'put out there'. From a community and a fan point of view, there isn't really any benefit to mass outside attention on MLP.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2018, 12:40:05 AM »
Katrine, you put that beautifully.  And you are right. It is interesting over time what words/names/classifications have stuck and what haven't.  I think it will depend a lot on what 'the community ' is in the future.

For example people are already split on whether or not to use the term 4.5. And that is a term and discussion point here. Also I am pretty sure this community also classified FIM as G4...because those terms are really only relevant in the first instance to people concerned with multiple generations. I can't be sure but I have noticed bronies seem to use MLP:FIM a lot more than we do.

I think it is interesting too :P

And it actually makes sense that the “G4” came from the overall pony community. A part of the FiM fandom is after all to view it as something totally different than previous MLP gens. They would probably not have started to call it G4 if they wanted to be set apart from the rest of MLP :huh:

I do hope with the end of FiM, it might be more common ground across generations though. I would love to see more g4 collectors and fans here, also from the brony community. All generations have different history and quirky details around releases. It is nice to learn from each other, and have a whole collective dedicated to a toy line over so many years.
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2018, 12:46:03 AM »
I'm going to be old and cranky now but I would have been fine not having pony 'put out there'. From a community and a fan point of view, there isn't really any benefit to mass outside attention on MLP.

Could not agree more - I'd be very happy if MLP had remained an obscure niche product and nobody really paid attention to adult fans of it beyond 'huh, that's interesting'.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2018, 01:13:33 AM »

Could not agree more - I'd be very happy if MLP had remained an obscure niche product and nobody really paid attention to adult fans of it beyond 'huh, that's interesting'.

I agree with this so much. I’m old and cranky too  XD
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:17:59 AM by katrine2309 »

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2018, 01:29:32 AM »
I have mixed feelings. While working on the older Gens for MLPMerch I love the diversity like G1 etc has. It makes me sad to see that it's almost all M6 now. The new Cutie Mark Crew line is great though! Still bring on G5 with hopefully new Chatacters.

The downside is that I sell quite some G4 stuff on my sites. Im afraid I will loose some of my income overtime. Still I also do G1 though. :P

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2018, 02:53:27 AM »
I did a search because I never saw the leaked images of the re-launch or the schedule plan for upcoming seasons. And I was a little :huh:.

To me, it all does look a little fan-based to be honest. I did see two different planning schedules too. One were everything up to 2020 were called FiM (not G4 by the way), and after 2020 and the prequel movie it just says G5 season. Which surprised me a little as I never previously seen Hasbro define any new line as a generation before?

The other planning schedule I saw was calling it FiM up to the movie release in 2017, and then there was G5 season, prequel movie in 2019 and G6 sason. Which made me just laugh out load to be honest. I mean what I saw and read about this I didn’t see anything that led me to believe this was anything but fan-based. Also it seems to be a schedule plan for the show and upcoming movies. To me, it is strange and incorrect to use terms as G5 and G6 when you are not referring to the toy line, only the FiM show. Afterall, it is the toy line that will (if that is happening at all) be going into a new generation. Not the FiM show.

The fact that Hasbro has not confirmed or denied anything only implies that they are working on something they are not ready to share yet. But that doesn’t mean it is anything similar to the leaked info. I find it quite plausible that a fandom built up on artwork and creativity would have the imagination to create those drawings. In fact, I have seen that art style been used plenty when drawing ponies.

So, for everyone calling it G5 as it is already here. What information am I missing?? I honestly want to know, because I couldn’t find anything that was even slightly convincing towards this actually being legit. I am, truth be told, a little confused XD
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:56:26 AM by katrine2309 »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2018, 03:50:51 AM »
I don't think anyone can be sure they are genuine or not, to be honest. There are a lot of questions without answers and gaps in the knowledge. I think we will just have to wait and see. I half wonder if some of the material was leaked on purpose to get feedback from the potential fanbase. What I do know is that actual episodes in incomplete state were leaked online at the same time...so those would be genuine. I didn't watch them so don't know how incomplete they were...but I think that added authenticity to the other leaked material.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2018, 04:21:17 AM »
We do have a thread for G5 speculation and a thread for the leaks, and I already said this in there, but there were so many more designs leaked than just the "fanartist look". It was all very typical "I was asked to/I want to pitch my redesign to Hasbro based on what they want" stuff.
It also happens that some artists can influence or get influenced by fandom artists and both can overlap. Lots of freelancers started out as fanart creators.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2018, 05:42:28 AM »
The reason we can figure they're legit is because the leak they were included in also included unfinished season 8 episodes, as well as a list of every season 8 episode, these leaks came out before the season began and it's been entirely accurate so far.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2018, 08:59:36 AM »

I will happily climb onto that Cranky Old Person Couch with you guys.  GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2018, 09:06:35 AM »

I will happily climb onto that Cranky Old Person Couch with you guys.  GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!!

:beerchug:
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »

We're mlps fans. We don't have lawns, we have meadows and moats!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
Thank you everyone who has answered my question :) I do appreciate it, and you see- I was missing information about it because I didn’t know about the episodes ;) I’m still not sure though to be honest, but I will wait in anticipation :biggrin:

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2018, 03:19:11 PM »

We're mlps fans. We don't have lawns, we have meadows and moats!

Lmao, count me in as a cranky old person as well, then!
The main thing I hate about it is if anyone hears "Pony" now they just start making all these assumptions, and what they have in their mind is G4, bronies, etc. I liked being able to say I was an MLP collector before without the stigma or assumptions.

I'm late to the party here but I also agree that if what was released was real, I would consider it G4.5, not G5, for the reasons already stated- It's not a new generation, it's a reboot. That's why G3.5 is considered as such and not G4.
I also disagree that G4 gets much hate here- having constructive criticism and politely worded opinions on what you dislike isn't hate. I don't HATE G4, by any means. I actively collect them and hunt them down, and have a huge majority of all the original characters released as toys. That being said, I would also like to see them disappear forever, from any gen that is not G4 alone. I mean, it's reasonable. Do we see Minty, Sunnydaze, or Starsong anymore? Or Ivy and Sundance from G2? We don't, because they're in the past and the new generations have been just that, new, in entirety. That's what I want again- not another reboot.

That being said again though, I agree with Katrine that I think the leak was either 1) Fanart or 2) Leaked on purpose to gauge reaction, it seems very reasonable. The episodes being leaked at the same time does add to the evidence though, so then I'd lean more towards "gauging reactions." I can definitely see it happening. If not, then fingers crossed that that is what it won't be. I do really like the art style they're trying out there, but please, for the love of Majesty, get rid of the main 6!!! I wouldn't even care if it's another core group, because I understand that's what they've been trying out for years now since Core 7 G3, but please, a NEW group!!

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
Come to think of it, there have been no new leaks and absolutely no official press about what will come next.  We're only a year or two away from this, so you would think we would hear something.  Maybe at New York Comic Con or next year's Toy Fair.

Really, even sticking with bringing back G3 ponies, I would like something different.  Like Merriweather as a pegasus weather mare.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:56:16 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal