collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: g4 fandom paranoia. THE END IS NIGH!  (Read 12527 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: g4 fandom paranoia. THE END IS NIGH!
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »
I feel if they are using the same characters and the universe is similar/same then it would fallow suite with how G3.5 was handled. I know most people call the current toys G4.5 and I still kind of do for time to time xD

In the case of G3.5 they kept the same characters but with just a art style change and a change to the show.

With what people are calling G5 basically is doing is kept the same characters (or so it seems), changed the art style and swap the species around for some of the ponies. I think RD and Rarity and AJ are the only 3 that kept their G4 species with Twilight, Fluttershy, and Pinkie getting the species change (this would honestly be a 2 species change for Twilight). But until we get more info on the show, we really can't settle 100% on what to call it...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
I really am sick and tired of hearing that there's more of them than us. 4 genetations. 3 decades of fans all over the world that have been around more or less for years. And the newest group magically thinks they're bigger then the collective whole? Nope. Sorry doesn't add up. The kids are fans too.

The rude adults are simply the loudest and most visible. The ones who are fans of the brand instead of the fad are part of the collective whole. The rude fad fans can go bye-bye. The ones who enjoy my little pony will still enjoy it.

Its just as ridiculous as saying that new Batman fans are bigger then the collective whole of Batman fans because they got their start with the latest movies.

That statement does nothing but promote outright lies and stroke egos.

The sooner people realize that the better.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:34:41 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2018, 09:36:31 AM »

hum, hate. Well none of the below are quotes from the arena, they're all about previous generation ponies.

They look like fat horses

I cannot stop laughing about this.  Have these people NEVER seen a pony in real life before?  By their very nature, they look like short and fat horses!!!! 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2018, 09:43:33 AM »
A lot of those people will go when fim ends anyway. Only the real g4 fans will remain so who knows. It isn't about numbers though. I agree with LAW about that.

But the point on labelling is a good one too. G2 was not called G2 until G3 happened.  The rules change just as tge ponies do.

But I don't want to call it G5 because for me if that is G5 it means FIM has destroyed creativity in design for MLP for good. Because there are standards to me on what defines a generation.  Shs etc are still g1. A minor redesign of the same stuff with a species tweak and a slightly altered canon may count as g2 for newer lines like MH, without that history. ..but if we accept it its MLP surrendering its originality. And that makes me sad.

I have also always really disliked Pinkie Pie since g3. But I hope a g5 Dash might get a less obnoxious character.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
I really am sick and tired of hearing that there's more of them than us. 4 genetations. 3 decades of fans all over the world that have been around more or less for years. And the newest group magically thinks they're bigger then the collective whole? Nope. Sorry doesn't add up. The kids are fans too.

The rude adults are simply the loudest and most visible. The ones who are fans of the brand instead of the fad are part of the collective whole. Its just as ridiculous as saying that new Batman fans are bigger then the collective whole of Batman fans.

That is clearly an overreaction to what I was saying.  The kids and casual fans aren't online debating what to call the next incarnation of MLP.  And since that's the topic of discussion then, yes, there are more "bronies" active online, heavily involved in discussing the fandom and associated terms, than there are collectors active online, heavily involved in discussing the fandom and associated terms.  And that's going to be the tipping point in the battle over what to designate MLP:"?".  Not little Johnny or Suzy or my coworker who claimed she was obsessed with MLP as a child but can't remember the name of her favorite character.  I'm not saying they aren't valid fans.  But they don't care what terms are used for what. They are not involved in the discussion or  associated on either side of the debate.

And we can all have our own opinions.  In my opinion, numbers will matter.  It doesn't matter how "right" we are in determining criteria for a new generation.  If 70% of people online are using the "G5" label then it will be very difficult to get them to change to something else.  And we are at a disadvantage because people are already using the term G5 but we don't have an alternative term to use because we have to wait until the stuff actually happens before determining whether it's even worth the battle to try and change it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:49:27 AM by Sunset »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »

hum, hate. Well none of the below are quotes from the arena, they're all about previous generation ponies.

They look like fat horses

I cannot stop laughing about this.  Have these people NEVER seen a pony in real life before?  By their very nature, they look like short and fat horses!!!!

Probably not. Although, not all pony breeds are little chunkers like shetlands and welsh ponies.

I met someone who actually thought that female horses had humanoid breasts to nurse their young with,  instead of teats. :facepalm:

Considering that its not hard to catch a glimpse of a horse anywhere, be it in a calender, a pony ride, a toy, or a carousel. I wonder about some of these people.

Post Merge: August 11, 2018, 09:46:32 AM

The rude adults are simply the loudest and most visible. The ones who are fans of the brand instead of the fad are part of the collective whole. Its just as ridiculous as saying that new Batman fans are bigger then the collective whole of Batman fans.

That is clearly an overreaction to what I was saying.  The kids and casual fans aren't online debating what to call the next incarnation of MLP.  And since that's the topic of discussion then, yes, there are more "bronies" active online, heavily involved in discussing the fandom and associated terms, than there are collectors active online, heavily involved in discussing the fandom and associated terms.  And that's going to be the tipping point in the battle over what to designate MLP:"?".  Not little Johnny or Suzy or my coworker who claimed she was obsessed with MLP as a child but can't remember the name of her favorite character.  I'm not saying they aren't valid fans.  But they don't care what terms are used for what. They are not involved in the discussion or  associated on either side of the debate.

And yet I'm talking about sheer numbers of fans. Not a bunch of loud adults who think they're the ultimate master race because they saw one iteration. People who grew up with or got started  with x gen, stayed with or came back too, are greater in numbers. How hard is that to understand? 

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:55:00 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »
Look Leave a Whisper, I don't want to get in a fight with you.  You were clearly reacting to my initial statement and did it in a very aggressive way that took my statement out of context of the discussion.  I won't say anymore on the subject.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2018, 10:01:58 AM »
I didn't take it out of context. But I don't really wanna fight with you either. We'll leave it at that then.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:05:07 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
I’m not sure that it is all about the numbers, though. I think it is equally important WHO is saying it and what impact they have in the pony community (as a whole, not only the FiM world). Just look at some of the names and terms that have been established over the years (such as Greek Ladybird or the term Nirvana ponies). None of those were established because a major number of pony collectors decided to call it that. But rather because some of the “leading voices” in our community did.

It’s also about what is stated on the most common ID sites and sites about MLP, which also has a great impact on what words and descriptions are used in the community. An example of this is the term “UK exclusive” for many of the ponies sold in Europe(not only UK). I do believe that a great number of collectors now know that ponies such as G1 Baby Katie are not a UK exclusive- but regardless, she is still very commonly referred to as a UK exclusive BECAUSE she is still listed as such in some of these sites.So, our pony sites still have a great impact on terminology and descriptions in our community. If we want/like it or not. And it is not always a positive thing, as my example illustrates :P

But my point is still this: I don’t think the fans of FiM can decide by themselves that the re-boot will be a new gen. Regardless of numbers. Especially if many of those fans will say, “hey, it’s not exactly FiM anymore, so I’m out”. Then they actually loose all power to decide anything about what is or is not G5. I think the suggestion of calling the first show “FiM”, “re-boot/Movie” etc. is actually a good one. And unless it is a total re-launch in 2020 I think it is still ALL within the G4 line. And I also think that the pony community as a whole (not only G4) absolutely have the power to decide what to call it. If we want to.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:21:59 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2018, 10:48:28 AM »
I'm actually hoping to see some of the art trends for G4 die out. I know that art is expression but seriously some things should not even be considered with FiM or EQG.

Me too. I was trying to figure out how to say that in one of my earlier posts.  And the really said thing is that it's incredible easy to find that stuff without really looking for it. 

I will always love G1 the most. :lovey: That being said I do enjoy some FIM episodes  (including the MLP movie) and do collect a few G4 characters.  That being said I think 9 seasons of FIM is long enough and it's time for Hasbro to try something new with completely new characters and not just switch some of the Mane 6 around and create FIM 2.0

I also feel like the characters aren't as perfect as the show wants us to believe. Rarity is supposed to hold the element of generosity but too often I don't see her being generous. Twilight is supposed to be the Princess of Friendship yet she immediately judged Thorax based on the fact that he was Changeling.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
Katrine, you put that beautifully.  And you are right. It is interesting over time what words/names/classifications have stuck and what haven't.  I think it will depend a lot on what 'the community ' is in the future.

For example people are already split on whether or not to use the term 4.5. And that is a term and discussion point here. Also I am pretty sure this community also classified FIM as G4...because those terms are really only relevant in the first instance to people concerned with multiple generations. I can't be sure but I have noticed bronies seem to use MLP:FIM a lot more than we do.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
If I were to put myself in their shoes I might freak out, too. To them, MLP has always been G4, and when that ends, it feels like MLP as a whole ends. They don’t consider anything before it so why should they consider anything after?

But hey maybe they’ll know how we feel, wishing for the “good ol’ days” of MLP! LOL!

Also unrelated but you missed the chance to title this “the end is NEIGH,” ha ha ha ha!!  :lmao:
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »
If I were to put myself in their shoes I might freak out, too. To them, MLP has always been G4, and when that ends, it feels like MLP as a whole ends. They don’t consider anything before it so why should they consider anything after?

But hey maybe they’ll know how we feel, wishing for the “good ol’ days” of MLP! LOL!

Also unrelated but you missed the chance to title this “the end is NEIGH,” ha ha ha ha!!  :lmao:

Ba dum tiss

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2018, 07:50:10 PM »
Coming towards the end, I'm actually looking forward to it.  Not looking forward to them using the same character with a few species swaps.  I'm with Taffeta in that it suggests there's no creativity in MLP anymore, and it runs the risk of repeating the mistakes of Transformers Generation 2.  I can understand reusing Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, but surely they can make new ponies and/or remake classic ponies from the three and half decades of this brand's history.  The reactions to the design notes on Applejack suggests the people who really care about the continue focus on these particular characters are gone anyway.

But what I am looking forward to is getting out from under all the baggage of Friendship is Magic within the show and without.  It's not really that great of a series.  It's been a good series, and show a lot of promise in the beginning, but it's puttered along and tried to have its cake and eat it too (acting like it has these lofty goals while never doing much with them).  That's how we've gotten six ponies who supposedly have professional lives suddenly abandoning that to teach at a friendship school.  Hopefully the new show will have better vision of what it will be (and hopefully they'll be willing to use more than just six ponies if toy ideas run into conflict instead of trying to mash them together).

And the confusion on equine mammary glands is probably the result of a fan comic about a mare with that particular anatomy.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2018, 11:08:51 PM »
The G4 fandom has already begun to wind down; the number of comments on FiM-centred message boards or on websites is noticeably less than a few years ago. Same with the number of viewers signing in for the live stream of new episodes. I think people who were just there to be part of the fad have moved on when FiM passed its high point. The ones still around will stay to see how it ends, and probably give G5 a chance just out of curiosity.

While I agree that G4 can be laid to rest now, I do hope it gets an awesome sendoff because it sure put Pony out there for everyone to notice. A great multipart finale for the show, and a select set of creative celebratory toys would be nice. But Hasbro will probably focus its energy on the start of G5 rather than the end of G4.

Anyway, some elements from the G4 fandom can fade for good; the shipping and the questionable art was cringe worthy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal