collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: g4 fandom paranoia. THE END IS NIGH!  (Read 12541 times)

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: g4 fandom paranoia. THE END IS NIGH!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 06:18:21 PM »
I just hope that, when this generation ends, that *maybe* we can get back to a time where G3 isn’t so hated.  I miss being able to draw and post G3 fan art...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 06:21:28 PM »
I just hope that, when this generation ends, that *maybe* we can get back to a time where G3 isn’t so hated.  I miss being able to draw and post G3 fan art...

Its only hated by a loud, vocal minority. Plenty of people still love it.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »
It is odd watching G4/FiM only fans freaking out, ngl. I mean G4's already lasted quite a while, it's almost been 8 years now and it's still got another year or so to go. It's had a good run and honestly it doesn't need to go any longer. Especially with the way the toys have been for years now, with their constant Mane 6 rereleases. It's time for a change, and I am really looking forward to when G5 does begin in 2020, just hope Hasbro doesn't pull the same stuff again and they actually give us a wider variety of ponies again. Of course we do know we'll still have G4's Mane 6 but with some mixed up species, but hopefully with G5 they can find a better balance between them and other characters. Maybe something like what they did with early G3, have characters who get rereleased a few times but in a sea of constant new characters alongside them.

And yeah, as some other people have said, something ending doesn't mean the fandom for it will end. There's many things long since over that still have active communities, so I don't really see why people are freaking out as if the G4 fandom will disappear as soon as G4 itself does. It won't.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 06:30:55 PM »
The g4 toyline and show are ending.  But Fandoms go on for decades.   :blink:
exactly. If only the g4 fans got this through their thick skulls

Post Merge: August 08, 2018, 06:31:20 PM

no one's stopping ya.

Post Merge: August 08, 2018, 06:32:20 PM

Toola Roola, Kimono, and Star Catcher are love.

also, I know a lot of g4 fans who are in love with G3 Minty
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 10:21:44 PM »
     Friendship is magic got me into collecting ponies in the first place. I’m a tad sad to see it end, but it’s had a good run. A good long run that deserves to be put on the shelf. But the fandom won’t die. It will just evolve. Shame some don’t get this, but it’s the truth. What looks like endings may just be new beginnings.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 10:41:17 PM »

I think in this place at least it is pretty well loved.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 11:25:39 PM »
I couldn't care less if g4 and g4 fandom die. Sorry :blush: Hasbro has been milking it for too long now. They should do something new. Real new, not g4 in a slightly modified mold.
I think the 'paranoia' might come from how the g4 fandom is based around media, internet memes, songs, youtube videos and such - the g4 fans need to maintain it all the time to keep it going or it becomes old.
The g1 g2 g3 fandoms are based around the plastic figures so the g1 through g3 fans don't really need to do anything, as long as the old plastic figures are around everything is A ok. g1 through g3 just become vintage, they never get old.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:28:48 PM by tootie_tails »
-

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 12:27:16 AM »
I don’t really care either. I am G1, and as many already stated- the earlier gens have all ended. The fans are still here though :P If the intense fandom around g4 gets muted a little, I guess that is not exactly a bad thing.

On another note- G5 has been announced for 2020? Where have I been? Living under a rock? :blink:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline scifipony

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 02:45:41 AM »
This might sound a little mean, so I apologize if it comes across wrong, but I actually hope that a portion of the G4/brony fandom leaves when "Friendship is Magic" ends. It's easily the most negative fandom I've ever been a part of (and I'm a Trekkie, so that's saying a lot) with everyone just arguing about which character/episode/ship is the best, and complaining about every little aspect of each new episode and every little decision the production staff makes. I know this is probably not the majority of the G4 fandom, but it's a vocal enough portion of the community that it makes it hard to interact with other fans without immediately running into a wall of text explaining why I'm not a "real" fan if I don't hate such and such episode or why you have to love such and such character. It's just irritating because it takes the fun out of interacting with other pony fans.

I've heard quite a number of bronies threatening to jump ship when G5 begins, and it might be for the best. That way the new show can get a fresh start and (hopefully) build a more positive and enthusiastic fanbase.

On a side note, I can't wait to see what the G5 toyline will look like. I'm really hoping for more variety and creativity in the character designs.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 05:50:12 AM »
On another note- G5 has been announced for 2020? Where have I been? Living under a rock? :blink:

They haven't officially "announced" it, or have officially announced G5 at all, but a while back there were two major leaks of emails from DHX about seasons 8 and 9 (which will be the last season) of FiM, and G5 concept art and ideas. 2020 is when they plan to launch G5's cartoon with a CG animated movie, though the main cartoon itself will be 2D animation. I assume we would see toys around that time too, it said August, so probably for the fall toy reset that year.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:55:01 AM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 06:45:31 AM »
I never really understood why bronies hated the previews generations, I mean if it haven't been for G1 Faust would have never done G4.
Icon by Minty_Magic

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 06:55:52 AM »
it makes it hard to interact with other fans without immediately running into a wall of text explaining why I'm not a "real" fan if I don't hate such and such episode or why you have to love such and such character.

LOL, I hear that.  I was one of the first people, before the show even aired, who was saying positive things on that infamous Amid Amidi article, I was a moderator on what was at the time the largest Friendship is Magic roleplay forums, went to several Bronycons (I was even supposed to go to the first one, but had a transportation issue) and I was still told I wasn't enough of a fan because I still liked G1.

People need to get over themselves.

You'd think that since G1 fanart was literally what kicked this all off they'd get a clue.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 07:04:24 AM »
G1 bashing is just about insecurity. It is also about people making up their mind to mock and hate without actually knowing anything about it. (Don't get me wrong, they don't have to like or research g1 but to vocally trash it it helps to at least know what you are trashing.)

But I think it reflects an insecurity in the community that if they are not the best mlp gen then they don't count or something. Really there are a lot of g4 fans who are not like that though. It is just some.

Maybe age demographic also has a role. Not that I think all younger fans are a problem or all older collectors are saints...but I remember how hostile things were when g2 xame out and in hindsight I think a lot of that was because many of us were angsty teenagers.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 07:21:02 AM »
I couldn't care less if g4 and g4 fandom die. Sorry :blush: Hasbro has been milking it for too long now. They should do something new. Real new, not g4 in a slightly modified mold.
I think the 'paranoia' might come from how the g4 fandom is based around media, internet memes, songs, youtube videos and such - the g4 fans need to maintain it all the time to keep it going or it becomes old.
The g1 g2 g3 fandoms are based around the plastic figures so the g1 through g3 fans don't really need to do anything, as long as the old plastic figures are around everything is A ok. g1 through g3 just become vintage, they never get old.

G1-G3 fans are vintage? How much do we go for on ebay these days? :silly:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 07:28:14 AM »
G1 bashing is just about insecurity. It is also about people making up their mind to mock and hate without actually knowing anything about it. (Don't get me wrong, they don't have to like or research g1 but to vocally trash it it helps to at least know what you are trashing.)

But I think it reflects an insecurity in the community that if they are not the best mlp gen then they don't count or something. Really there are a lot of g4 fans who are not like that though. It is just some.

Maybe age demographic also has a role. Not that I think all younger fans are a problem or all older collectors are saints...but I remember how hostile things were when g2 xame out and in hindsight I think a lot of that was because many of us were angsty teenagers.

I actually liked g2 when it came out. I thought they were weird and funny. And I liked the g3 toys (And Ponyville, I didn't much like the merging of the two though). 

What I didn't like was the g3 cartoon.  If I had been 5 when it aired, it still would have annoyed me because that is the type of child I was.  I was always more of a fan of the toys and making up my own stories than the stories Hasbro and Hasbro affiliates came up with for them. Because it basically embodied the type of play/stories that had been forced on me since I was a young child and I never really liked in the first place. So I've almost always lived in a world were someone was telling me I'm not a real fan because I didn't keep up with the cartoons of one fandom or another.  And I have always lived in a world where I did not properly like the predetermined "girly" stuff in the way I was expected to.

At this point it's just kind of funny, because I took it seriously when I was, say 7 and it was other 7 year olds.  It's way harder to take seriously after decades of dealing with the behavior, and suddenly you're being told by people in their 20s you're not enjoying a cartoon made for an all-ages audience, which includes 7 year olds, properly.

I have definitely typed the words "I have been an Applejack fan since before you were born, so stuff it".
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:29:57 AM by flutterscotch »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal