collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3’s most sought after ponies?  (Read 6285 times)

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
Re: G3’s most sought after ponies?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 09:07:12 AM »
Strawberry Reef has a page for rare and sought after G3 ponies.

https://www.strawberryreef.com/Topics/rare.html

I would argue against Twinkle Hope and Muffins being "rare", and "Sought After" is missing a whole bunch.

That page is in need of a major update... I don't think that the owner has updated that site in its entirety in almost 6 years.

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »
I would also go for the euro and fair exclusives as the most sought of. If I look at my g3 wishlist I am mostly after the usa exclusives as in Target and the castle ponies :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »

I would argue against Twinkle Hope and Muffins being "rare", and "Sought After" is missing a whole bunch.

That page is in need of a major update... I don't think that the owner has updated that site in its entirety in almost 6 years.

Dunno why Muffins is on there to begin with? And yeah, Twink isn't expensive and not too hard to find. She kinda toes the line of slightly uncommon maybe.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline scifipony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »
I'm new to collecting MLP, so I can't really answer your question. But I have been collecting mostly just G3 so far and the ponies I tend to see most often on Ebay are Pinkie Pie, Sparkleworks, Rainbow Dash, and Petal Blossom, so I'm guessing those ones are probably not as much in demand.

Nope. Those are just extremely common. Highly Sought After mostly refers to a pony that is any combo of popular, hard to find, exclusive release,  pricey. There are exceptions to some of those. And all things considered, G3 is relatively cheap compared to some of the triple digit price tags g1s can go for.  Even MiB G3 ponies and playsets can have fairly reasonable prices.

I think there was a miscommunication? I was saying that those four are probably not very highly sought after, since you can find them all over the place on ebay, at thrift shops, yard sales, etc. and usually for really cheap.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
I'm new to collecting MLP, so I can't really answer your question. But I have been collecting mostly just G3 so far and the ponies I tend to see most often on Ebay are Pinkie Pie, Sparkleworks, Rainbow Dash, and Petal Blossom, so I'm guessing those ones are probably not as much in demand.

Nope. Those are just extremely common. Highly Sought After mostly refers to a pony that is any combo of popular, hard to find, exclusive release,  pricey. There are exceptions to some of those. And all things considered, G3 is relatively cheap compared to some of the triple digit price tags g1s can go for.  Even MiB G3 ponies and playsets can have fairly reasonable prices.

I think there was a miscommunication? I was saying that those four are probably not very highly sought after, since you can find them all over the place on ebay, at thrift shops, yard sales, etc. and usually for really cheap.

Oops. Misread.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
Thank you all for the info! :) Hopefully I’ll be a better pony thrifter with all this intel;)

Thanks! I did check SF, back in the day that site was really amazing when it came to G3 stuff. It’s not been updated for a very long time though, and since pony popularity tend to fluctuate I don’t trust that site on questions like these ;)

I also noticed that the site refers to “international exclusives”, and I do have some issues with that term. Not sure if it is a common term for G3, but for me that is just strange. Being an international release and being an exclusive release is to me the complete opposite, so I don’t know how some of these ponies manage to do both :huh: It bothered me so much I stopped reading, and came here instead :lookround: I’m weird like that :P

Post Merge: August 07, 2018, 02:14:28 PM

I dont think G3 apperaed much in Norway(atleast in my area) I didn't learn about before a friend bought me a vhs from England with the cartoon on it that we were past G2. And when G4 came around then I found a G3 pony, well a small one of Pinkie Pie holding a cake.

I found several on fleamarkets, and I do remember them coming in stores here. But G3 wasn’t big here, but then again I don’t find that much MLP in stores now either. And FiM is quite big here! My niece is watching the show, and there are a lot of merch. I just don’t see the toys :huh:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:15:00 PM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 03:50:57 PM »
International exclusive means it was not sold in the US. Exclusively certain non-US countries.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 11:35:51 PM »
International exclusive means it was not sold in the US. Exclusively certain non-US countries.

I know what the intention is :) But I don’t think it is a good descriptive. International means actually “between nations”, not “any other countries than my own” or “any other countries than the US”.

Synonyms to international is “global” and “worldwide”. It would sound equally strange with a “global exclusive”.

I am a bit of a “word geek”, though. I am a teacher so maybe that’s why :P
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:43:38 PM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 02:40:05 AM »

I am hopeless with remembering who is in what set. For me from an int'l perspective (or no, a UK one as I think some of the target ponies got to Europe) the hardest to find G3s are those store exclusives in the US (Target especially).

But most of them are not that hard to find on ebay so I guess they aren't as rare in the US.

I remember at the time they came out, Snowflake was one of the big deal ponies people wanted to hunt down.

The SLH - I look for these because I love the long hair. Here in the UK though of those four rarer European ones mentioned, I've only found Rainbow Treat. So I would say they're definitely among the harder.

I was lucky to have some of the US exclusives at the time and since. But I don't remember seeing Aurora Mist in stores here, or Pearly Pie. I got both of mine from the US. I am sure someone knows if they were sold here - but I've never seen one of either loose.

Breezies...in my experience the worst one is Day Lilly. She's the last one I need. I know there's a playset release one that is meant to be really hard to find but I found her without an issue and even had a double which I gave to a friend for all her help with pony hunting. So I am not sure if that was just hype at the time. I think Day Lilly is the worst Breezie to track down.

Re Strawberry Reef - the site is basically abandoned. Unfortunately people still use it for information even though it has a lot of errors. It's never going to be fixed.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 02:46:02 AM »
I'm using Strawberryreef and My Little Wiki because I don't know any other identification website. Does anyone know a complete G1 to G3 identification guide that's regularly kept up to date, please ? =/
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 05:35:26 AM »
I'm using Strawberryreef and My Little Wiki because I don't know any other identification website. Does anyone know a complete G1 to G3 identification guide that's regularly kept up to date, please ? =/

As far as identification they are good online references up to G3. Offline I use The My Little Pony G3 Collector's Inventory. Just don't expect a lot in the way of variant examples or price guides from any of them- you still need to do comparison research. There are others out there that exist but those are the ones with the best pics, in my opinion. For G4 I use https://data.mlpmerch.com/ because they constantly update the database with releases as they come.

Though, there is not a definitive resource for prices or rarity outside of public input, and "sought after" ponies can change based on those same opinions.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 07:56:32 AM »
I'm with both of you, I found strawberryreef a good while before the Arena itself using google. I had no idea it was abandoned. I think I found the forum while reading the mlppreservationproject.
Speaking of MLPpreservationProject, is it kept up to date or something ? It's still mentioning the use of acne cream as a possibility and that makes me uncomfortable seeing that. =/
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 09:06:11 AM »
I, too, found StrawberryReef via Google as my first pony guide when I was IDing my G3 ponies. I found the Arena and TP thanks to links on that site. I've learned to mainly use it to ID US ponies or as a starting place for IDing others.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »
Thanks everyone!

What about more “unusal” colors such as Anchors Away, Seaspray, Kiwi Tart etc?

Anchors Away & Seaspray are 2 I'm seeking  ;)
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »
Thanks everyone!

What about more “unusal” colors such as Anchors Away, Seaspray, Kiwi Tart etc?

Anchors Away & Seaspray are 2 I'm seeking  ;)

Anchors Away and Seaspray are gorgeous girls. I'm after Seaspray too. Love ocean themed ponies. Good thing she's easy to get. Anchors Away is so cheerful. I could easily see her being related to ponies like Salty or Baby Clipper.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal