collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ember vs Star Dreams  (Read 2707 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Ember vs Star Dreams
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »
As I've said many times before, during G1 the cartoon was an accessory. You didn't have to have the cartoon to love the ponies.

This.
Ponies were all about imagination to me as a kid. I hated the cartoon because I already came up with my characters and stories. Backcards also meant nothing to me...

If I had ember as a kid I would of came up with my own reason behind having no symbol.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:02:45 PM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 12:10:19 PM »
Somewhere I have the Ember's Dream cassette.  I don't know if it answers any of your questions or creates more LOL 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »
The real question is how many times can Hasrro use that same baby pose? lol.

I think she has no symbol so you can use your imagination for whatever symbol you want on her...  :P

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
Question, did people always take the Twilight/Ember convo in RaMC as a "you'll earn your symbol one day" sort of thing, or did that interpretation only come in after G4? I'm curious!

Don't forget the pregnant Mommy Pony and her two babies, Torpedo and Bombs Away.

:biggrin:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »
I didn't take it as "you'll earn your symbol" or the symbol being related to Ember's talents, but I interpreted it as something that would come with time, like Ember growing into being 'her own special little pony.' 

Just my opinion.  I think there are lots of ways to interpret the scene.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:05:58 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 12:59:06 PM »
Somewhere I have the Ember's Dream cassette.  I don't know if it answers any of your questions or creates more LOL
it definitely creates more, such as who was the angel pony, why the pink moon is never mentioned again, what kind of magic it possesses, if its magic or the angel's magic (or both combined at the time) had an effect on ember, giving her her star symbol at the end of the story, though it's never mentioned.....
so many questions.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 01:22:43 PM »
As I've said many times before, during G1 the cartoon was an accessory. You didn't have to have the cartoon to love the ponies.

This.
Ponies were all about imagination to me as a kid. I hated the cartoon because I already came up with my characters and stories. Backcards also meant nothing to me...

If I had ember as a kid I would of came up with my own reason behind having no symbol.

*Imagines little bandit scoffing loudly at the back card, and having the Dread Queen Posey team up with Miss Piggy and Megatron as space pirates.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:24:39 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 01:58:34 PM »
If yall want to hear something weird, my cousin and I listened to the Embers dream tape so many times, like most cassette tapes back then...it...died. Literally broke the ribbon.

The weird part, we had a funeral for the tape and dug a hole in my cousins back yard and buried the tap.

I've often wondered if I go back to that house and dig around the tree, if I'd find it...but sadly the house is no longer in the family so I can't exactly go digging around someone's back yard (haha), especially to say I'm looking for an old cassette tape.

Post Merge: August 07, 2018, 02:04:22 PM

Question, did people always take the Twilight/Ember convo in RaMC as a "you'll earn your symbol one day" sort of thing, or did that interpretation only come in after G4? I'm curious!

I never imagined baby ember earning a symbol back then, and I'm pretty sure I owned baby Ember before I ever saw the TV special. I didn't even see the special on TV, I think the first time I ever saw it was because I rented it at a video rental store :p

As I said in a previous post, I ordered one of the babies, and it was the blue one.

My Baby Ember was the class clown and said silly things and was a jokester. And a boy.

I don't remember him ever needing a symbol or even thinking he'd get one one day. He was who he was without a symbol so I don't remember ever thinking he was weird or different because he didn't have a symbol, he just didn't have one, etc.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:04:22 PM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »

This.

*Imagines little bandit scoffing loudly at the back card, and having the Dread Queen Posey team up with Miss Piggy and Megatron as space pirates.

Haha!!
I think we were a little bit more boring with our ponies ^_^;
We played house. We took turns picking out our families.. always a fight on who was the dad (4speed and chief).. SHS ponies were always the cute young ladies.. uh, normal G1s with babies were always frumpy old moms... Mimic was the snotty jerk that no one liked.........

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 02:40:51 PM »
I never really thought about the symbol of ponies and how they got them - they just had them. It was, like the ponies themselves, magic! I didn’t mind that G1 never had any logical explanation for that. I really loved the G1 movies and the MLP episodes as a kid. But the ponies there were not the SAME ponies I played with at home. My ponies often had different personalities, hobbies and magic than those in the movies. Of course, it was fun when their personalities did overlap :P

I like the FiM show. I think it is funny and entertaining, with (most of the time) a very good morale. However, one of the things I dislike about G4 is that all the characters are already so developed. It’s not (for me) the same room for interpretation and imagination.

So, that is what Ember is to me. A possibility to use my own imagination (and read all of your thoughts and imaginative ideas!).
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »
I have to admit Ember's Dream Ember is soft of confusing to me. Is she supposed to be the same Ember as Mail Order Ember as far as G1 lore/canon goes or is she separate baby pony that is also named Ember.

Ponyfan
I think it's never said that they are the same character. Logically they would be different as they have different appearances and different lore surrounding them?

To me this means that Ember didn't earn a symbol since she is four different characters. Sometimes I think of her as two different characters as well. It's a bit complicated to make sense of. (Plus if she earned a symbol you would also have to explained why she changed colors, right?)

I think of them as separate characters too but find it kind of odd that Hasbro had 4 ponies named Ember so close together. :lol: I can see the Mail Order Embers as triplets though.

That being sad, I'm pretty sure Hasbro didn't think about lore consistency back during the G1 era or we would have seen Moondancer and Baby Moondancer glwoing in the dark in the animated speicals or that kids would notice that "Ember's Dream" Ember had the same name as Mail Order Ember.

I wonder how Hasbro decided to include Ember in RAMC? Was she still available as a Mail Order when the speical aired? I know the storyline says that she was too little to transform in to a dragon to pull Tirac's chariot but did Hasbro have a reason other than that for including her in the speical?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »
I always made my Ember's siblings and Ember was just their last name. Each had their own personalities and stuff. Coincidentally, my blue ember was a clown BUT that was because I got her in the clown pony wear...also she was not a boy but she was a tomboy  ;) Also she had a boyfriend; Baby Brother Sweet Celebrations. (Whom pink ember was jealous of her for.) My lavender ember was my favorite since TV show accuracy and everything. She was the most level headed of all the embers. I did not like pink ember and only got her to complete the set, so I just made her annoying because why not? And lastly, Ember's Dream ember was the smartest and oldest of the siblings (oh yeah, the previous ember's were triplets) and tended to be a bit of a know-it-all. She was also very shy and nerdy and had a crush on Baby Lucky (which, to clarify, was the same age as her).
Recently, I thought of my own interpretation of making all the ember's into one ember. Basically ember's special talent was to change colors. Once she met the rainbow ponies, they were impressed with her color changing abilities and she led them to Dream Castle. Once she did so, she earned her symbol. A star since stars can be a couple different colors. They're also space-y which fits with the rainbow pony's theme...and ember really would be a rainbow pony!
I think of her name with fire, like the fire's embers I guess if that makes sense. Fires can be an array of different colors (like purple, green, blue...obviously red/orange) so yeah. But that's just my headcannon. I've never actually read/listened to Ember's dream so I have no idea what happens other than it involves rainbow ponies :P

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »

I wonder how Hasbro decided to include Ember in RAMC? Was she still available as a Mail Order when the speical aired? I know the storyline says that she was too little to transform in to a dragon to pull Tirac's chariot but did Hasbro have a reason other than that for including her in the speical?

Ponyfan

I'm pretty sure I remember Ember being originally advertised with no name. I think at some point pamphlets showed the name Baby Ember but I seem to remember no name.

I don't remember exactly when I would have ordered mine, if it was before name or after. It was horseshoe points and like a $1something for shipping. I originally started out with 2 ponies so it wouldn't have taken me long to get to 5 horseshoe points and I would have more than likely order as soon as I could order.

Usually the mail orders were sold for a certain amount of time, most pamphlets had a end date, but I think they'd more than likely sell them till they ran out. A sort of while supplies last. But if you look at most MLP pamphlets there was an end date but it was usually sometime way ahead like a year later or whatever.

Since originally Ember had no name and was available in 3 different colors, I just think it was to give options on color but also see how many people were interested in the mail order program. It's possible when they saw it was going to be successful that they named her, or it could have even been when they saw the product was going to do well that the development of the cartoon meant they'd want to include Ember in the storyline.

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 06:05:55 PM »
See, Ember was the first baby...and it made sense that maybe ponies developed their symbols later.  But then we got all the teeny tiny and newborn ponies with symbols so it kinda ruined the assumption. At least with the mom-alike babies (like Firefly, Cotton Candy, etc) you could pretend that it was just the older pony as a little kid if you wanted to.

But she was definitely no name at first, or the two extremely pedantic children I knew who had her when she came out would have brought it up.  One named her baby Bluebelle. The other just called her Beautiful.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 06:31:43 PM »

But she was definitely no name at first, or the two extremely pedantic children I knew who had her when she came out would have brought it up.  One named her baby Bluebelle. The other just called her Beautiful.

Well, now I'm sorta thinking that with 3 babies to choose from and no name, it offered children the opportunity to name the baby whatever they wanted, but also any pony could be the parent. So the mindset may have been originally more imaginative play with the baby pony. So children could name them but also create families depending on whichever adult pony they had.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal