collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why is Hasbro no longer capable of selling a figure by itself?  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Seriously. New characters are either sold in a playset, or with the main bore.

They don't force popular characters on us in TF, so its not fair to do it to MLP.

Its like they've forgotten how to make a normal sale.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Hasbro no longer capable of selling a figure by itself?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
I think Hasbro is convinced that the Mane 6 are more marketable to kids than new characters.  It's like they think no one will buy a new character unless it comes with a Mane 6. The MLP movie packs are some of the worst examples of this as I think just about every 2 pack included a new character and a Mane 6 character.

Capper came with Rarity

Seapony Skystar (first version) came with Twilight Sparkle

Tempest came in a 3 pack with Twilight and Spike

Hippogriff Skystar came with Pinkie Pie

Songbird Serenade came with Twilight Sparkle (How many Twilights does Hasbro think kids need? :lol: 

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »
Which is weird considering hasbro has been in operation without this method for over 30 years.

Offline strawberrypony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
I agree omg haha  :lol: I have like five or six twilight sparkles now all because I wanted the ponies that came with her. And dont get me wrong a few are different but others arent. I think they also just want the extra money, none of the popular characters are EVER in a pack alone just so it can be more expensive and force people to buy the whole set for one. All the single pack ponies are kind of budget ponies that arent in the show.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:01:20 PM by strawberrypony »
:hope: ponies make for a happy day

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 05:02:57 PM »
yeah, this really kinda irritates me. I don't enjoy having to buy a new character that isn't the Mane 6 or Princesses in a pack of ponies that I don't really want to buy. I can't fathom why they think little girls want an additional gimmick of the same 6 or 8 (plus the Princesses) characters that they've been peddling for years now. Are they just afraid to take risks? People still buy blind bags with new characters, so what sense does it make to not do the same formula with the brushables and sell them separately?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 05:05:17 PM »
yeah, this really kinda irritates me. I don't enjoy having to buy a new character that isn't the Mane 6 or Princesses in a pack of ponies that I don't really want to buy. I can't fathom why they think little girls want an additional gimmick of the same 6 or 8 (plus the Princesses) characters that they've been peddling for years now. Are they just afraid to take risks? People still buy blind bags with new characters, so what sense does it make to not do the same formula with the brushables and sell them separately?

Who knows? But if they continue this crap into g5 I'm done with new ponies for good.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
I think Hasbro is convinced that the Mane 6 are more marketable to kids than new characters.  It's like they think no one will buy a new character unless it comes with a Mane 6. The MLP movie packs are some of the worst examples of this as I think just about every 2 pack included a new character and a Mane 6 character.

Capper came with Rarity

Songbird Serenade came with Twilight Sparkle (How many Twilights does Hasbro think kids need? :lol: 

Ponyfan
I saw the "Al About" Tempest sold by herself at Kohls the other day, thankfully.

the people in marketing shouldn't go off their own assumptions. Bonnie proved them wrong back in g1 with their products, pushing for little ponies, when the marketing team said otherwise, and that girls aren't like her, that girls wanted to cook and clean. Also in making the ponies softer and smaller, and not stiff and clunky like the My Mretty Pony, which was Marketin'g decision. Faust also proved the marketing team wrong. You would think they would've learned by now.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 05:13:47 PM »

Capper came with Rarity

Ponyfan
I saw the "Al About" Tempest sold by herself at Kohls the other day, thankfully.

the people in marketing shouldn't go off their own assumptions. Bonnie proved them wrong back in g1 with their products, pushing for little ponies, when the marketing team said otherwise, and that girls aren't like her, that girls wanted to cook and clean. Also in making the ponies softer and smaller, and not stiff and clunky like the My Mretty Pony, which was Marketin'g decision. Faust also proved the marketing team wrong. You would think they would've learned by now.

Faust is part of the reason for this current state of affairs.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »
I agree omg haha  :lol: I have like five or six twilight sparkles now all because I wanted the ponies that came with her. And dont get me wrong a few are different but others arent. I think they also just want the extra money, none of the popular characters are EVER in a pack alone just so it can be more expensive and force people to buy the whole set for one. All the single pack ponies are kind of budget ponies that arent in the show.
You're kind of enforcing that behavior from them, imo, if you still buy the set just for the one pony. Vote with your wallet to put a stop to it.

Post Merge: August 06, 2018, 05:15:05 PM

Capper came with Rarity

Ponyfan

Faust is part of the reason for this current state of affairs.
pardon?

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 05:30:06 PM »
Tempest Songbird and sea pony Skystar did get single releases but I’m not sure how much distribution they got? I saw All About Songbird a few times but have never seen All About Tempest or Captain Celeano even though I’ve looked for months. The Mane 6 All Abouts stay on the shelves for months in my area. I’m also not sure how many kids/parents would want to buy a new character with another Twilight Sparkle or Rarity.

Also Queen Novo only came with Seaquestria (as did Haven Bay in the bonus version which also included Twilight Sparkle again. :lol: )

Ponyfan

Offline scifipony

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
I've been wondering this for awhile, too. Not that I mind ending up with some extra Mane 6 ponies (I'll take as many Fluttershy toys as Hasbro throws at me :biggrin: ), but it doesn't really make sense when you consider how many dozens of other characters there are that have never even gotten one toy release yet. I'm hoping the G5 toyline will bring back some actual variety.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 05:47:14 PM »
but it doesn't really make sense when you consider how many dozens of other characters there are that have never even gotten one toy release yet.
Friggin'

g4

Toola

Roola

*rageface*

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 07:02:22 PM »
Even the Midnight at Canterlot set with Minty included Rainbow, Fluttershy and Rarity.

Somewhere deep within the Hasbro offices there must be a memo that dictates that a Mane 6 pony must be produced or packaged with a new character every 5 minutes. :lol:

I would have loved to seen Coconut Cream get a brushable and a few other characters also.

Ponyfan

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 07:20:44 PM »
I'll just leave this here.....

source: http://etoile-sama.tumblr.com/post/176712894570/paradise-estate-paradise-estate

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 07:29:55 PM »
This is just what Hasbro seems to do when the line is dying down.

Bring on the legit G5s!  What could they look like?

I blame Barbie, somehow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal