collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Safest way to fade pen marks?  (Read 815 times)

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Safest way to fade pen marks?
« on: August 06, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »
I usualy avoid using chemicals stronger than multi-purpose cleaner and such, but I think I could do an exception on that finaly. I have heard chlorite/water mixes are commonly used, but how safe is it in the end?
I have a sunfaded Baby Lickety Split with very large ballpointpen marks, and I'd like to try saving her. She is severly sunfaded, so the plastic fading to a lighter pink due to chemicals wouldn't worry me. I just want to fade the pen marks as much as I can.

Edit: Because people keep asking, I apparently will be waiting a year or two to get her sunfaded hopefuly.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:23:54 AM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: Safest way to fade pen marks?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
Do you mean sunfading like this? You don't have to use the peroxide, you can just put her outside in the sun (cover up her hair and paint though) like this. Normal sunfading is the most common way of sunfading. Peroxide soaks also leech plasticizer so your pony will be rock hard after.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »
Do you mean sunfading like this? You don't have to use the peroxide, you can just put her outside in the sun (cover up her hair and paint though) like this. Normal sunfading is the most common way of sunfading. Peroxide soaks also leech plasticizer so your pony will be rock hard after.

More of I meant she already is sunfaded. As in faded by the sun. Her colors are so much more light than they should. I also would suspect she probably has been kept in the sun with all those marks - if so, it seemingly hasn't helped a lot.  So I'd be curious can I lighten the marks by chemicals instead, like chlorite. Because sun doesn't seem to be an answer.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:58:04 PM »
NOOOOOO do NOT use chemicals!!!! 

Wrap the pony in tin foil except the spots that need to fade, and leave in a hot sunny spot and check her several times a week. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:00:39 PM »
NOOOOOO do NOT use chemicals!!!! 

Wrap the pony in tin foil except the spots that need to fade, and leave in a hot sunny spot and check her several times a week.

Chlorite/water is supposed to only bleach? I would only use a light mix, like mostly water. And well.. she is already very faded. I'd only need to soak her head, too.
 I'm not going to such lengths as acne cream of course. Just some light hydroperoxide or chlorite mix. I have heard they work but I'm not certain of course, with the horror stories of especialy acne cream out there.
 I also doubt sunfading will work, especialy with how few sun we have (10/12th of the year it's not even enough to make items left under sun feel warm) and her already clearly having been in the sun for quite the time judging from her condition.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:05:49 PM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
Normal sunfading could work just as well. At least try before moving to harsh chemicals. She isn't different from any other pony that can be sunfaded really (besides batches and differences and stuff like that, ykwim) Just because she is a bit lighter doesn't mean it won't work. It looks like the marks have faded a bit already, since it looks like navy blue ballpoint pen was used. It would be fairly darker if not faded already. You got her second hand right? You don't know her history so you don't know how much exposure to the sun she has, when the marks were drawn on, etc, therefore you can't draw an exact conclusion as to whether sunfading will work or not. Nevertheless, it's worth a try before you move on to harsh chemicals (I've never heard of people doing a chlorite/water treatment either? Not sure if that would cause harm to the vinyl or hair...)

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »
I'd sunfade her as much as you can and then redye and rehair her.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 01:23:16 AM »
I would also advise against chemicals; one never knows what they are going to do to your pony long term. I do see your point regarding the absence of sun where you live: that must be frustrating. I wonder whether anyone has ever tried a UV lamp?

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »
Normal sunfading could work just as well. At least try before moving to harsh chemicals. She isn't different from any other pony that can be sunfaded really (besides batches and differences and stuff like that, ykwim) Just because she is a bit lighter doesn't mean it won't work. It looks like the marks have faded a bit already, since it looks like navy blue ballpoint pen was used. It would be fairly darker if not faded already. You got her second hand right? You don't know her history so you don't know how much exposure to the sun she has, when the marks were drawn on, etc, therefore you can't draw an exact conclusion as to whether sunfading will work or not. Nevertheless, it's worth a try before you move on to harsh chemicals (I've never heard of people doing a chlorite/water treatment either? Not sure if that would cause harm to the vinyl or hair...)

Well, I can try. It will just take months, maybe a year. If it even does anything. I don't live anywhere warm and sunny.
She has obviously been faded by the sun before, her mane and tail are clear white and her neck seam is very different shade of pink.
And that's true. I'd just like faster results than waiting a year. And you're correct since they might have been different kids that have done these, forgot that chance.
I have? But then again, it was from an age old site. So the info might have been very outdated. It would be hydroperoxide then, I'd really rather try that than mere sunfading.

Post Merge: August 08, 2018, 10:22:18 AM

I'd sunfade her as much as you can and then redye and rehair her.

Well. I can try waiting a year. Also I can't / don't want to rehair ponies, it's far too complicated.

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 10:32:43 AM »
Ah, I understand. Sunfading can be frustrating with how long it takes. Good luck :)

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 10:35:30 AM »
Also I can't / don't want to rehair ponies, it's far too complicated.

Trust me, rehairing is not complicated, just time consuming. I managed to do my first rehair with a DIY rerooting tool using a sewing needle so it's really not a big deal. I hope I reassured you. ^_^
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 04:24:09 PM »
I don't know how sunny it has been for you this summer, but I had a Bow Tie with ink marks and the bulk of them on her body faded out in a matter of weeks because of the sun in May. I took her out of the window because I was going out of the country and now I'm moving so I haven't gone back to fix her inky ears yet - but I was amazed how much quicker it was than I'd heard. We're not usually a very hot sunny country either but this year there's been a lot of sun...

If any of the current global heatwave has got to you, maybe it's worth a try before using chemicals?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 04:27:50 PM »
Also I can't / don't want to rehair ponies, it's far too complicated.

Trust me, rehairing is not complicated, just time consuming. I managed to do my first rehair with a DIY rerooting tool using a sewing needle so it's really not a big deal. I hope I reassured you. ^_^
  It's not even that time consuming.  Hour, tops, for an adult with a stripe even, but my basis for comparison was also rerooting Blythe dolls. I'd much rather reroot ponies.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 04:45:16 PM »
@flutterscotch : Haha, yup, Dolls have so many more hair plugs than ponies. But still, when it's your first rerootings, you tend to take more time, especially getting the strand properly in the tool and avoid breaking said too. lol. But anyway, it's really do-able.
(I also need to look for my posture. My neck hurt so much when I was done with my pony. x-x )
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 03:05:04 AM »
I am not really sure why she needs to be rehaired. I mean, repinking her original hair should be possible if wanted. It's not cut and it's not particularly ruined, just lost colour. Ripping out the original hair seems a bit extreme to me.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal