collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How would one attempt to acquire a piece of signage to a defunct retailer?  (Read 996 times)

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
This may be an odd question, but as I'm still trying to get past the fact that my favorite childhood store has gone out of business (Toys R Us), I have been noticing a number of eBay auctions for some really interesting things such as in store signage, shopping baskets, price scanning guns branded with the TRU logo, and other various TRU branded paraphernalia, but the thing that really is really getting me excited are the listings for the actual storefront signage from the outside of the building.

I'm sure the odds of any joe schmoe getting a hold of something like this are slim, but if one were interested in purchasing/acquiring somethibg like this, how does one get in contact with the owner of the building? There is only 1 TRU anywhere in my vicinity, but they still have all of their exterior signage.

I consider Toys R Us to be an iconic part of my childhood and to own something like this to me would be like the ultimate memento. I don't really expect anything to happen, but I feel it's at least worth a shot to get in contact with the property owner. Realistically I don't even have room to store something like the whole sign, but there have been eBay listings for individual letters and even just the backwards R would be awesome.

Also, most of the signage on my local TRU is pretty new, most of it was replaced a year or so ago after one of the Hurricanes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:18:26 PM by Neon Sparkle »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I don't really have much of an answer for you...

I imagine someone's best shot at it is knowing someone in construction. My dad used to bring me all sorts of "left overs" from construction sites including signage.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And I know you are referring to sign on the building, but that's been like that for like 9 years now. So if there's no reason to take down a sign, they aren't going to. Sometimes if you wait long enough it falls down.  :lookround:

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Getting the store signage was something you could do before they shut down, I know I saw someone on IG inquire about buying the store sign and the manager told him it would cost 5,000$ and they'd have to do the removal themselves.

Now I guess once you know who the next owner is you could contact them, or wait till they start the remodeling and dumpster dive

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
In all reality I'll probably just stick with some of the more manageable pieces space wise, such as the in store banners and such you can find on ebay. Still, I just can't stop entertaining the thought of how awesome it would be to own a giant illuminated Я.

Toys Я Us held a special meaning for me. It was more than just a store. I know they had a reputation for high prices, and they never stocked what I was looking for half the time, but when I was a kid it was like the retail equivalent of Disneyland to me. It wasn't just a place, it was an experience. Even in my adulthood, It was like one of my favorite places to go to just chill out and relax, and since the place was dead most of the time it was like I had the whole store to myself to just browse at my own leisure.

I will truly miss Toys Я Us, probably more than I have ever missed any defunct retail establishment. I just want to find some kind of really cool piece of memorabilia to remember it by. I guess it's just another extinct relic of my childhood that I'll never be able to experience again, like dedicated video game arcades.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:30:13 PM by Neon Sparkle »

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Oh crap, I did just see some Toys R Us signage at a flea market over the weekend.  They wanted $50 for it though.  And it was mostly vinyl on corrugated plastic.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Looks like you have some great advice already.

I believe our TRU is still active and is staying but that's up in Canada.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
i've seen a bunch of stuff come up at auctions, but its all usually very pricey for the good stuff
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal