collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Twinkle VS Custard: Cat Battle Why? Plus Repro Parlor Musings  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Twinkle VS Custard: Cat Battle Why? Plus Repro Parlor Musings
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 11:25:54 PM »
I gotta laugh, because the very first pony we get, who wasn't already re-relased in the G3 era, is ... Peachy. The one pony who seems to plague everyone's collections!! :lmao: It's so ludicrious I gotta laugh, because it's just like - what?! Why her!? (I mean, it makes sense, she was part of the first playset and all!) Of all the ponies, it's almost like a little collector in-joke! Hey, got another Peachy? ;)

That said, I love Peachy! I love her sweet pose and her gentle colors and her soft little face. I can't help it, Peachy is great! So I'm definitely gonna get the set, even if I have a bunch of Peachys already! And, unfortunately... I didn't even notice Twinkles looked weird! :yikes: But now that you point it out, I see how she looks like Custard! But I always thought Strawberry Shortcake had really cute pets (and so many different molds!), so I don't mind them reusing one, especially if it's a cost-cutting measure that helps keeps prices low! ... ish! $10 for a pony is a bit high, but $20 for a playset is great! Keep it up, I say! I can't wait for my first brand-new Pretty Parlor!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 11:46:21 PM »
I hated this set as a kid but I assume the mold thing is for cost savings...

I think that's good to keep costs down so hopefully more people buy and we can see more things in the future
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tebrighteyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 01:13:53 AM »
I don't care, I'm buying it anyway!

Completely this.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 05:52:17 AM »
-shrug- It doesn't bother me, I don't think it's a big deal. Yeah, it would've been nice to have a perfect repro Twinkles, but you can't have it all, right? I'd rather have the rest of the set be perfect. Plus, 'a' Twinkles is better than no Twinkles IMO :p She looks cute like this and as others have said, it'll be nice and easy to tell her apart from her 80s counterpart. I want her!

I do wish they'd painted stripes on her back, though. (Or his. I never know what gender the cats are.. I'm sure I've seen them referred to as both. :s)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 09:05:45 AM »
I know Peachy is as common as dirt, but I definitely had a rush of nostalgia when I saw the Parlor-  my sister and I both had a Peachy Parlor when we were littles and we LOOOOOOOVED it.  I still remember losing the door at the beach one day and I was devastated...

I wasn't super disappointed about Twinkles- I mean I'd RATHER have the original mold of course, but with all the shortcuts that Bridge Direct took with the SSC crew, and given the price point, I was shocked they included a cat at all.

I can't wait to get my set! I hope my little boy will like playing with it, but even if he doesn't, his mum will! 

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 11:05:06 AM »
i actually have always disliked Twinkles and her mold, from day one, preferring the far superior, in my opinion, cuteness of Custard, which as a very biased 6 year old with a SSC canopy bed, was the world to me, and all of these beings existed in my "playworld" together.

So that inner child in me is secretly cheering and absolutely not caring about accuracy.  This Twinkes is CUUUTE as heck and I want the Pretty Parlor basically just for her.

Edit: In retrospect I think Twinkles bothered me so much (and Brandy too for that matter) because she was not squishy vinyl like everyone else. Duck Soup was, Spike was, and they all felt more akin to SSC pets than the first few actual MLP pets.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:09:19 AM by flutterscotch »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »
It will be easier to tell apart the retro from the original, so I am fine with it.

I have no interest in this set because NOO NOT MORE PEACHIES...so basically that's where my position on this ends xD.

The first part here pretty much sums it up for me :)

Its not original - its designed to be a retro nostalgic remake. I am not at all bothered by the odd differences and, honestly, think the minor differences are part of what makes it its own release. After all Hasbro couldn't keep the same sets and ponies when they released them only a year or so apart...we have to give someone releasing something 35 years later a prize for managing to match so much :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 12:51:14 PM »
After all Hasbro couldn't keep the same sets and ponies when they released them only a year or so apart...we have to give someone releasing something 35 years later a prize for managing to match so much :)

No continuity cookies for you, Hasbro!

Offline strawberrypony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 03:53:45 PM »
 I dont mind that they used Custard's pose, because we can just say theyre cousins :lol: but I cant seem to remember what Custard looked like? The mold looks awfully familiar...OH wait was Custard the pink and white Strawberry Shortcake kitty? I never had any of those dolls when I was little. Im tempted to buy a custard to go with this pretty parlor kitty  :lol:

:hope: ponies make for a happy day

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 04:33:32 PM »
Here's a pic of one of the Bridge Direct SSC sets that included Custard

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »
I don't care, I'm buying it anyway!

Completely this.

Totally this!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal