collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: IMPORTANT EBAY CHANGES - no more "Pre-1990" MLP category  (Read 5969 times)

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
IMPORTANT EBAY CHANGES - no more "Pre-1990" MLP category
« on: August 01, 2018, 07:17:39 AM »
EDIT:   If you currently have ebay listings or are automatically renewing listings, your pony auctions may be getting lumped into a very broad category with Star Wars, Disney and other TV Movie Character Toys!   Please help make our searches easier and check your listing options to make sure it gets into the right "Character Family - My Little Pony"  and Decade <3

So the "My Little Pony" and "Pre-1990" section is now gone from the main category listing!    It just seems to go to "TV, Movie & Character Toys", with no further breakdowns of that category. I started to set up a mock ebay listing, and again, nothing past that category. The only place I see the Pre-1990 category is on older listings.

It doesn't just lump all pony generations (G1, G2, G3, FiM, Equestria Girls, etc)   There are thousands of toys in this category, including Star Wars and Disney toys. 

If you'd like to let ebay know what you think, you can do that here.   :work:

If this is a permanent thing, here are some helpful tips.   Let's say you do a search for "Accessories" in this TV Movie Character Toys.   Use the category options to the left to help narrow things down a bit.

Under CHARACTER FAMILY, you can select "My Little Pony"
Under BRAND, you can select "Hasbro"
Under DECADE, you can select "1980s"

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This will help, but there are a few problems with this.

First, any current auctions, auctions that are automatically getting listed by sellers who don't know about these changes, and new auctions by sellers who aren't going to bother specifying Character Family and Decade (which are optional, not required when listing) will get filtered out of your search above.     

Under each of these three category options, you can select "not specified" to include those auctions. However you're going to get hundreds of auctions you don't need across all toy lines and decades and companies.   

Some sellers are more specific in their listing titles so you can add things like "Vintage" or "old" to your searches, but as we all know, not every seller gets this detailed or uses the same terminology. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:56:52 AM by ashlyne »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Ebay search question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:40:29 AM »
Spoiler
Oh dear, this is going to make it very annoying.
Littlest Pet Shop still has a separate section, which is odd if MLP is missing theirs.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay search question
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:07:19 AM »
I couldn’t find it either, but they must have changed it recently. I just did a search two days ago :huh:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Ebay search question - no more "Pre-1990" MLP category?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Left them some feedback. At best, they'd include categories for each individual gen, but I'm okay with restoring it the way it was.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »
Left them some feedback. At best, they'd include categories for each individual gen, but I'm okay with restoring it the way it was.

Ya, it never was really accurate, was it :P   But it was better than it is currently. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »
I've been dreading this day, but I knew it would happen eventually.  They used to have a bunch of different categories for Transformers (G1, G2, Beast Era, Japanese) but years ago they mashed them into one category.

I guess, from eBay's perspective, it's easier to have one 'catch-all' category that they never have to update as opposed to keeping up with the various generations of toys / items.  But from a collector's perspective, it sucks.

Edit:  YIKES, I didn't realize the MLP category was gone altogether!  Even worse than I thought!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:56:36 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »

Edit:  YIKES, I didn't realize the MLP category was gone altogether!  Even worse than I thought!

Off to the left, you can narrow down the TV Movie Characters category by "Character Family" and find My Little Pony in there.  There are other options to narrow it down, such as Brand (Hasbro) and Type (which doesn't help much).   But I checked to see if the Character Family was an optional or mandatory specification when you set up an auction, and it's optional. It's sort of buried in the options you're given. So I would guess there will be a lot of sellers that are going to overlook this and many auctions won't get sorted into that category.   You do have to specify brand when listing, so selecting Hasbro would at least filter out Funko brands.

Searching for "My Little Pony Lot" within the Hasbro brand brings up 2,714 auctions which include all generations.   2,698 are under the My Little Pony Character Family, 1 Care Bears Character Family, and 9 "not specified" Character Family.   So that's still 6 unaccounted for auctions?   

I was hoping this would be a temporary thing, but Transformers went through this, we're probably looking at a permanent thing here. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »
Hmm . . . I feel like an unintended (or intended?) consequence of this will be that a lot of MLP merchandise (books, canteens, party hats, all the random stuff) are going to get put into other categories by sellers.   Like maybe a seller of G1 party hats will put them under "Party Supplies."

I also think a lot of sellers are going to stick MLP toys under "Pretend Play" or even "Dolls and Bears."  I think it will behoove buyers to search the entire toy category from now on . . .
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 12:14:34 PM »
 :mad:

WHAT is Ebay DOING!?!?

It was bad enough I had to slog through 10bazillion g4 blind bag, at least I could click the pre-1990 and hope people listed stuff correctly by year.

Jez...now we're probably going to have to slog through anything listed with the word 'pony' in it.

Where do I complain...er...give my feedback on this?

So stupid, Ebay, I had no words for you. I feel like ebay just unfriended me.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 12:41:15 PM »
Ugh, it was bad enough that so much G4 stuff ended up incorrectly placed in the Pre-1990 section because sellers didn't bother to change it. -_-
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 12:52:34 PM »
I noticed this today, I thought it was me >_<

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
:mad:

WHAT is Ebay DOING!?!?

It was bad enough I had to slog through 10bazillion g4 blind bag, at least I could click the pre-1990 and hope people listed stuff correctly by year.

Jez...now we're probably going to have to slog through anything listed with the word 'pony' in it.

Where do I complain...er...give my feedback on this?

Right here, KarenTheUnicorn:   http://connect.ebay.com/srv/survey/a/search.srp.node?ctx=url%3D%2Fsch%2F2624%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3Dmy%2Blittle%2Bpony%2B%26LH_TitleDesc%3D0%26LH_TitleDesc%3D0

I'm guessing all of my saved search notifications are going to be screwy too.   *sigh*   I don't even want to think about what it's going to take to fix all those.....if I even can.

I have one set up for stickers in the Pre-1990 category.   I guess I'm going to have to set it up to exclude "FiM, G2,G3, G3.5, Friendship, Equestria … oh good grief, it STILL has a ton of non-G1 stickers I'll have to sort through.  I could add in the word "vintage" but so many sellers (even collectors) aren't used to using that term because it was already in a category that indicated it was vintage.     And so many people think G3s are vintage  :sleepy:

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »

Yes! This is my exact feeling too- despite the frustrating topic this made me laugh a little :lookround:

eBay obviously hasn’t fully understood the term “information overload”  :blink:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 02:24:36 PM »
I think it has to do with this:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Grouped-Listings-Gives-Buyers-an-Improved-Search-Experience/ba-p/27592154

I think they are trying to dumb things down passed the Joe Shmoe level and creating a "catalog", but I can't figure out how this is supposed to be better considering eBay is a gigantic eFlea-market with all sorts of sellers and all sorts of buyers.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
I think it has to do with this:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Grouped-Listings-Gives-Buyers-an-Improved-Search-Experience/ba-p/27592154

I think they are trying to dumb things down passed the Joe Shmoe level and creating a "catalog", but I can't figure out how this is supposed to be better considering eBay is a gigantic eFlea-market with all sorts of sellers and all sorts of buyers.

I see how this could be useful when searching for some new items but it's going to be a disaster for pony stuff.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal