collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Selling Customs that aren't yours  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Vixenfur

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Smoozed Pony
  • Take a Step and Fall into the Glitter
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Selling Customs that aren't yours
« on: July 31, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »
Hello MLP Arena!

Long time no see! I went to the Pony Fairs of '07, '08, and '09 as a little girl, and now I'm over halfway through college with a massive collection of all sorts of ponies. I know how to deal with the G1's, G2's, and G3's that I've collected... but at those Fairs I accumulated lots of customs.

I see that people sell customs but they are usually customs that they've made themselves. All of the customs I'm looking to get rid of are ones I haven't made myself. Some of the people who made the customs wrote their names and the year made on the hooves, but others simply left initials or nothing at all  :(

I'm having a garage sale soon and I'd hate to include the customs, since many of them have delicate horns and additions... they'd break easily if handled by kids (and could even hurt them if handled carelessly). I know pony collectors are out there so I thought this was the best place to ask what to do.

Is it okay to resell customs, ones that you haven't made yourself?

If so, how much are they usually worth?

If it's not okay, then what do you think I should do? Should I see if any local pony collectors are willing to take them off my hands for no price? I'm not as concerned about the money as I am about getting these gorgeous customs to a good home.

I attached a pic of some of them to give you all an idea.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Customs that aren't yours
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »
Welcome Back! 

We were at the same 2008 Pony Fair :) That silver unicorn looks kind of familiar, was the seller at one of them?

I think as long as you can identify the seller, just try to sell it for what you paid for it, or just auction on ebay with a reserve and let the market decide.  But I am sure someone here would want them, for sure.

Offline Vixenfur

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »
Welcome Back! 

We were at the same 2008 Pony Fair :) That silver unicorn looks kind of familiar, was the seller at one of them?

I think as long as you can identify the seller, just try to sell it for what you paid for it, or just auction on ebay with a reserve and let the market decide.  But I am sure someone here would want them, for sure.

Wow hello! :D Haha indeed she was. Her hoof says '08 so you might have seen her before little me wanted her for my unicorn kingdom ;)
I have a 6 year old niece and a 7 month old niece, so they're having a blast with the ponies I loved as a kid (especially the more loved ones, if you know what I mean  :biggrin: ), but I know these are just too delicate for them.

Thanks for the thoughts, that helps! Most are in pristine condition, only a few have some sort of blemish/stain, so I think for the top-notch ones, I could probably sell them at about the same price as when I got them.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 09:06:29 PM »
I'd second the 'attempt to sell within the collector community or at least eBay' for customs, since the general public may not realize that they're OOAK and fragile, not something to give to their kid to horse around with!

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
I might want the blue g3 on the right...can I see more pics of her?

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Vixenfur

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »
I might want the blue g3 on the right...can I see more pics of her?

Sure thing!

She's in lovely condition, I've named her Sapphire over the years, but feel free to change it~ haha. I'd be willing to let her go for $20. From what I remember she didn't cost as much as some of the others. She's in perfect condition.

Also, I can move to "customs for sale" if necessary now that I've decided to sell them :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »
Probably depends on who has done it, how well known they are, how well done it is, etc. I have two g3 customs with with a lot of sculpting done by the extremely talented Songbird21. They cost me a pretty penny.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 09:27:21 AM »
Its widely thought that customs are OK to resell. Many people consider it rude to resell them for a higher price that commissioned or purchased for, and many think it's kind to ask the original artist if they prefer to buy it back or have it resold. However, most would say they belong to you and you should be able to do with them as you like.

As far as value, that can be subjective. Since they are yours, you should price them for what you feel they are worth. Certain artists or quality of work may go for more. Often I see resold customs for around $20-30, but it varies widely.

I would say this post is OK to not be in the Custom Sales quite yet, but you may want to start a separate thread once you start talking more solid prices/offers.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
Totally okay to sell other customs that you've purchased or traded with others.

I think the price of customs has been down in the last few years, so you might not get back what you originally paid.

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »
would you be able to take a few more pictures of the Christmas themed one? shes super pretty and I might have to buy her if you sell
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline Vixenfur

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 08:19:05 PM »
would you be able to take a few more pictures of the Christmas themed one? shes super pretty and I might have to buy her if you sell

Hello! Sorry, she already was sold! I have a thread in the "Custom Sales" topic if you're interested in any of the others!! ^_^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal