collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Set completion- do you collect them all?  (Read 6049 times)

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Set completion- do you collect them all?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
Definitely not a set-completer here, haha. I only buy individual ponies I like the look of- don't have enough room otherwise!

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2018, 09:48:07 PM »
I have some complete sets of the ones that i like, but mostly it is just ponies like the look of now for display reasons i do not have the room.

Once upon a time it was all ponies for me but i decided what was the point of having them if they were just kept in a box all the time.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2018, 11:01:56 PM »
     Collecting an entire set isn’t my main goal, more on just finding specific ponies. I’ve never complete a set, but if I do, it’s probably by sheer coincidence. I want to collect all the ponies with a star or other astronomy theme. Not exactly a formal set, but I’d love to have my own little collection of just space ponies.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 02:45:19 AM »
I'm a set completer when it comes to G1. I don't have the same impulse for any of the other generations though. I think it's because I grew up with G1, and as a kid I wanted a lot of ponies I never even saw in stores, so when I got to collecting, I wanted to grab everything I found. And when I started collecting, it was like 1995, so there were lots of cheap ponies on second hand sales that I could get...

Probably if it were now, I would have to be a lot more circumspect as ponies are harder to get and more expensive. So maybe that would change.

I do have sets that I remember prioritising - the y2 unicorns and pegasus ponies, y3 rainbows, early babies - ones I remmeber from the comics that were either not sold here or are hard to find here for one reason or another.

Although some sets my sister and I have completed between us, and I won't ever fill the gaps in my own personal collection because I don't feel like I need to have those ponies if she does. Just some of them I go after on my own as well.

With G2 and G3 I collect the ponies I like only. With G4 I focus on non-mane 6. I do have some mane 6, mostly from second hand sales or because I like the set style, eg water cuties. I have almost a complete set of those, I think, including the winged ones - just Cadence missing I believe...

But most G4 sets I don't even know the proper releases or names for xD. I just go after ones that aren't mane 6.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 03:57:39 AM »
I'm a set completer when it comes to G1. I don't have the same impulse for any of the other generations though. I think it's because I grew up with G1, and as a kid I wanted a lot of ponies I never even saw in stores, so when I got to collecting, I wanted to grab everything I found. And when I started collecting, it was like 1995, so there were lots of cheap ponies on second hand sales that I could get...

Ah! That had to have been fun! So many flea market finds for so little! I’m a little sad that it took me so long to get back to my ponies... but I guess I just needed the time to find my inner child again. She was buried deep :lol:

Although some sets my sister and I have completed between us, and I won't ever fill the gaps in my own personal collection because I don't feel like I need to have those ponies if she does. Just some of them I go after on my own as well.

Your sister collects too? I always thought it was nice to be able to share my hobby, and my stories and memories, with my sister. I don’ feel the need to collect ponies from her collection either. But if I ever do come across PnC baby Gusty- I will keep her regardless :lol: My sister doesn’t actively collect anymore though, but I do still share with her - it’s still nice:)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:59:10 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2018, 03:58:34 AM »
Yes, but not really *lol*
I usually like the concept of a set, so I like everyone, or none of them. And if I like 5 in the set, but not the 6th one, I will probably feel bad for leaving one out, and feel that I need to complete it anyway. ^^
And I dont really like having just one pony from one set, as I like to display them togheter, as they have the same kind of theme and look good togheter.

On the other hand, there are sets that I dont like at all, so those I dont feel I need to complete ^^
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2018, 04:10:47 AM »

Ah! That had to have been fun! So many flea market finds for so little! I’m a little sad that it took me so long to get back to my ponies... but I guess I just needed the time to find my inner child again. She was buried deep :lol:

Your sister collects too? I always thought it was nice to be able to share my hobby, and my stories and memories, with my sister. I don’ feel the need to collect ponies from her collection either. But if I ever do come across PnC baby Gusty- I will keep her regardless :lol: My sister doesn’t actively collect anymore though, but I do still share with her - it’s still nice:)

It was a lot of fun :) We brought home new ponies almost every week for a couple of years. And because there was always the surprise element of not knowing what you would find, it was even better :)

Yes, my sister collects as well. Her ponies are mostly packed away at the moment because of space, but she came to ponycon with me last year and she's been following the retros as well (she has four of them so far, 3 Collector Ponies and one rainbow). She has her childhood adult ponies still out of storage, plus a couple of others, and at Easter she was talking about extra shelving to get some of her others out of storage too. It's lovely having someone to share the interest with, back as children and now too :D

The only problem is she has a habit of kidnapping my ponies sometimes ;)

Back when we started trading, we kind of had a list between us of which ponies we would each have so that we didn't fight when we found them and it worked mostly quite well. But my sister somehow managed to end up with Crumpet, Munchy, Oakley and Chacha on her list. I can't afford to add any of them to my own collection so I don't have them - she does.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2018, 05:53:10 AM »
I think the only set I want to complete (with all ponies actually being mine :P ) is the early Baby Pony set from Germany w/baby Buttons etc. I do spot some of them in your picture as well, they are really adorable - all of them :inlove: I love your collection by the way- so many of those ponies I love as well!

Aww, thanks :frolic:

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2018, 06:50:24 AM »
I usually don't set out to complete sets, but once I see that I'm close I will make an effort to hunt down the last one or two. So far, I've only got one completed, the first 6 CP plus Lemondrop and Peachy. I happened to find them all in the wild/in person, too :)

Right now, I've got two sets I've almost completed: the first Sweetheart Sisters, and the Rainbow Curl girls. I found all my Rainbow girls in the wild as well, so Raincurl needs to come to me in person! Aurora happens to have both ponies I need (Raincurl and SHS Fancy Flower) so I'll be able to get them from her at the next Minnesota meet :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:21:00 AM by Jocelyn »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
I’m one pony away from completing the first set of Princesss Ponies. I’m pretty sure I’m missing Ruby/Primrose. I want to complete the G1 baby merponies (I have 2 out of the 3) and I have the 4 G3 Divine Shine ponies. Otherwise I just go after the ponies that I like and don’t worry too much about completing each sets :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2018, 06:18:08 PM »
I usually choose my favorite 2-4 from a given set that I like, that helps me cut down the numbers by only keeping my favorites. Aesthetically I've kind grouped them into sets anyway :biggrin: Just wish I had more space!
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline CactusBloom

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Formerly leafcascade
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Blog - rileyspones
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
I'm not a set completionist at all- if I were, I'd be broke! Since I buy whatever tickles my fancy and not limiting myself to one set, one gen, one type of toy, one company, etc. I collect lots of different types of (sometimes expensive) toys. So when I see a pony that I really like, I'll buy it, but I don't let myself focus on completing sets. I usually end up with one or two ponies from each line or set or wave that's released.

That being said, I love seeing peoples' complete sets! Your G1s are lovely!
Formerly known as leafcascade
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Offline Shy Violet

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 11:41:33 PM »
I'm not a completionist but I do like to have complete sets for a lot of them. Let me think of what I have complete, I have the Rainbow Ponies, the first set of adults, first set of babies, first set of Flutter Ponies, first set of Princesses, first set of Twice as Fancy, I have all the US releases of newborns including mail orders so all those are complete, Tropical Ponies, Rainbow Curl Ponies, Baby Sparkle Ponies, UK PnC baby ponies, German baby ponies, first set of UK adults, bedtime newborns, best friends baby ponies and I think that's it. Phew! I had to pull out the checklist to look those up. One day I'll get photos, I'm still working on organizing my pony room.

Some sets that I'm close to completing and are priorities are 2nd set Princesses, Twinkle Eyes, So Softs and Sparkle ponies. They're each 1 or 2 ponies away from completion. After that, I'm pretty much picking up what I find in thrift stores or looking for good deals. I have some other sets I'd like to eventually complete but I think I have all the most wanted ones already.  :)

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2018, 12:40:30 AM »
I'm not really a completionist, I think I only go after ponies I really like...........

but those sets sort of creep up on you :)....... especially that darn Apple Delight family :).
I wanted the Daddy as I love boy ponies. Got him, thought that was it. Then came across his delightful daughter in a lot. Resisted for a while before searching down Mum and Brother. They look so gorgeous all together.
Now the family have got 'relatives' in the form of most members of the other two families - how did that happen?!!! 

Offline katrine2309

• Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2018, 02:37:02 AM »
I'm not a completionist but I do like to have complete sets for a lot of them. Let me think of what I have complete, I have the Rainbow Ponies, the first set of adults, first set of babies, first set of Flutter Ponies, first set of Princesses, first set of Twice as Fancy, I have all the US releases of newborns including mail orders so all those are complete, Tropical Ponies, Rainbow Curl Ponies, Baby Sparkle Ponies, UK PnC baby ponies, German baby ponies, first set of UK adults, bedtime newborns, best friends baby ponies and I think that's it. Phew! I had to pull out the checklist to look those up. One day I'll get photos, I'm still working on organizing my pony room.

Some sets that I'm close to completing and are priorities are 2nd set Princesses, Twinkle Eyes, So Softs and Sparkle ponies. They're each 1 or 2 ponies away from completion. After that, I'm pretty much picking up what I find in thrift stores or looking for good deals. I have some other sets I'd like to eventually complete but I think I have all the most wanted ones already.  :)

So many nice sets! :inlove: I have a question about the UK PnC set (it was actually also sold at least in Sweden). Is there any way to differentiate between the UK baby Cotton Candy and Blossom and the ones sold in the US released versions? I always loved Baby Applejack, but it would have been so interesting if the other two from that set (baby CC and Blossom) had something different about them too. Like German baby Cotton Candy lacking the pat.pending mark on her hooves (like all baby ponies from that set), or UK Sundance as a NC pony.  I don’t know, they probably don’t though!
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal