collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Set completion- do you collect them all?  (Read 6057 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Set completion- do you collect them all?
« on: July 31, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
Set completion isn’t really my thing. I’ve never collected with that in mind. So imagine my surprise when I actually felt ecstatic when realizing I had not one, but two complete sets in front of me :party:

I suddenly understood the fun in completing sets!

So, what do you do? Collect to complete sets or not? Why/why not? And regardless of collecting- what is your favorite set? The one you really like the most? And please, spread the pony love - post your pictures!!

(Truth be told, not ALL these ponies are mine. I might have kidnapped some from my sisters collection*shameful*. But it is almost the same as my own:P)

First set PnC babies incl unicorns and pegasi (not AJ)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aaaaand 2nd set PnC babies (yeah, I adore baby ponies)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:12:37 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Set completion- do you collect them all?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
I'm not a set completionist *in general*, but there are some sets I wouldn't mind completing :) Off-hand I think the only complete sets I have are the Big Brothers and Mountain Boys:

Still working on getting all the baby boys, family ponies and G3 winter ponies :) I think they're the only sets I'm actively trying to complete.

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 10:28:51 AM »
I don't really tend to be attracted to sets, unless my favorite pony is in it (which is dirty trick, Hasbro). Even then, I don't really buy them (just agonize and pine over them indefinitely). I happened to find half of the g4 Wonderbolts collection at a thrift store, and the other half a a completely different store a few days later, but was only momentarily considering getting the other half to compete the set.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
I don't have any complete sets (Unless you count having G1 bubbles and seashell lol) But I do want to complete some, Sparkle ponies being one, glow and shows being the other. I don't have any Glow and shows yet though  :blush:

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
There are certain sets that I feel the need to complete, the year 2 and 3 unicorn/pegasus ponies, for example.  It's usually based on how long I stared at the backcard as a child, honestly.

I usually go after thematic sets.  All the ponies with celestial symbols (still working on that one) is the big one for me. And still not done.

But I am thinking of branching out to ponies with clouds in their symbols, I did a breakdown last night.

That being said though, I'm suddenly really interested in the first round of Sweetheart Sisters for some reason.  And I have a renewed interest in the German Flower ponies.  For the longest time I only wanted Snowdrop.

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »
I'm not a set completionist *in general*, but there are some sets I wouldn't mind completing :)

Yes, agreed! I’m like that too- which is why I was surprised by the happy-dance I was inclined to do when I saw the whole set of baby ponies together :lol:

I think the only set I want to complete (with all ponies actually being mine :P ) is the early Baby Pony set from Germany w/baby Buttons etc. I do spot some of them in your picture as well, they are really adorable - all of them :inlove: I love your collection by the way- so many of those ponies I love as well!

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
I love having complete sets. Not so much with G1 but it's a must with G2 and G4 (although to be fair I really just need anything and everything G2).

For G1 the sets I want to complete are mostly cases of I want every pony in the set individually. Although I think I still have a few on my list where there was only one pony in the set I didn't want, and I just couldn't have them be left out  :lol:

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 10:47:41 AM »
There are certain sets that I feel the need to complete, the year 2 and 3 unicorn/pegasus ponies, for example.  It's usually based on how long I stared at the backcard as a child, honestly.

This is so very true for me too! I feel so much more attached to the ponies on my childhood backcards! Probably why I love the baby ponies so much :P

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »
I haven't really thought of having sets but I am missing Baby Ruby now and that would atleast be my first set haha.
Icon by Minty_Magic

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
I'm moderately into set completion if I feel it is a necessary part of my collection. I recently completed the original 6 CP poses (a mix of FF and CF, but I feel it is completed nontheless), although this was motivated by me characterizing each of the characters in my college doodles.
I do have a complete set of the year 2 rainbow ponies, but this was due to a Christmas gift request for "any pony lot" and the tendency of eBay people to pack similar ponies together.
I do intend to complete the year 2+3 unicorn/pegasi/earth ponies because I feel they are important ponies, but aside from that, I'll just pick up what I see.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »
I'm a completionist so all sets must be complete, eventually. 

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »
I do consider myself a set collector, but I won't buy specific ponies to complete a set (not that I ever seek out specific ponies, I really only buy locally so I don't have much choice ;)) I just like complete sets in my collection. It's not my main goal though, more of a side quest.

For me sets are aesthetically pleasing, since a lot of sets have ponies designed to go together in a theme whether it be colors or TAF. For example, I think the sparkle ponies and tropical ponies look really good all together. If you have the same gimmicks together no pony looks out of place. They have a common theme and it's just nice.

I also like completing sets because ponies can have their friends with them :P It's cute! I wouldn't want anyone to be lonely. I also feel that displaying by set is the most organized.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »
For me it depends on the set,  I would like to complete most of them, but some are a pass, I dont need multiples of the same pony.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
I haven't bought a set completer for awhile... My goal when I got back into collecting earlier this century was that I wanted all US releases. I've come to realize that this will probably never happen due to the expense of mail orders, but I'll keep trying.
My strategy was that I'd attempt to finish a set all at once. About 80% of my collection is local finds. I should really update images of the 'back room' but for now here's one shelf...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 12:09:41 PM »
Congrats on completing your sets! They're so pretty! :frolic:

I can think of maybe 4 sets I'd wanna complete. Unfortunately, 2 of those 4 have alot of issues: the Secret Surprise and Precious Pockets.

As for the Tropicals, I like Tootie Tails, but I don't like her as much as the other 3 and wouldn't go outta my way for her.

The first Sea Pony set is the only one I've decided to complete. They're small in terms of how many ponies I'd need to grab, not too expensive and I love them all.

Otherwise no. There's always at least 1 pony I don't like or don't care for. And I'm not the type to grab something I don't like just for completion's sake.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:13:48 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal