collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair rot in my G1 Goldilocks (pic heavy)  (Read 1227 times)

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Hair rot in my G1 Goldilocks (pic heavy)
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:35:27 PM »
Hi all!
I have a story to tell.. Some of you know i recently bought my first Goldilocks off ebay. I live in the UK So was thrilled to see her for sale over here, and i was even more thrilled to get her for £2.99 (Excl. Postage). I was aware when buying she was missing two chunks of her mane (The orange parts) but im not a fussy collector and knew because of the nature of her hair it may not be obvious that she was missing these bits. She arrives and i am beyond thrilled with her, Overall she had frizzy hair and was clean. I took photos the day she arrived  :art:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I planned to recurl her hair, using my normal de frizzing methods. Boil wash with fabric softener, de tangle, straighten any frizz with low heat flat iron and then curl. This is where the issues begun... I had been having a spa day for my ponies (re styling hair and cleaning my new ponies) and left Goldilocks by my laptop. While having a break I was mindlessly watching Netflix while messing with her hair. I ran my finger up one of her cut sections and hair fibres flew everywhere, confused I did it again, with the same result. at first I thought it may have been left on her from when her hair was cut but then I remembered about the phenomena of 'Hair rot' In which ponies loose their hair from age, generally this is documented with Cheap G3 ponies. I reached out for help on the Arenas shoutbox where I was told that this can happen to G1 ponies from use of product in their hair. I imagined someones mum, or perhaps a collector many years ago used hair spray to preserve her ringlets (It didn't work lol).

Here are the broken parts, the other section at the bottom was like this but is now stubble

So i had a dilemma, was i too leave her with the hair frizz or attempt to re curl... I chose to recurl...

I boil washed her tail tentatively, then very carefully combed with through her curls. it was at this point i lost a lot of the orange parts of her tail.

I decided against the flat iron treatment incase i caused more damage to the delicate hair, so i went right in and re curled her hair

Yes this looks weird (I didnt have bobby pins lol)

I then did the same with her mane.

And here is the final result...

I didnt loose her tail thank goodness, if im honest the hair loss that did occur was benificial as its not as frizzy as the yellow sections. Im not happy if im honest as the frizz really bothers me  :cloud:

So what can we learn from this? and why bother sharing? Well i find it curious that the orange sections broke off in her mane and not the yellow, is it weaker by nature? Perhaps check your Goldilocks ponies incase this breakage was caused by age and not product  :whoa:

PS. Wow you read this far?! Heres a challenge, identify the 2 ponies hiding in my photos for a cookie  :awake:

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hair rot in my G1 Goldilocks (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »

I have never seen this happen before, and every Goldilocks I have ever put my hands on has been trashed beyond even my non-picky standards.

PS. Wow you read this far?! Heres a challenge, identify the 2 ponies hiding in my photos for a cookie

Daddy Bright Bouquet and Water Lily

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »

I have never seen this happen before, and every Goldilocks I have ever put my hands on has been trashed beyond even my non-picky standards.

PS. Wow you read this far?! Heres a challenge, identify the 2 ponies hiding in my photos for a cookie

Daddy Bright Bouquet and Water Lily

In all honesty yes her hair was messed up but it could have been worse, there was factory curl there but it was beyond saving...

And DING DING DING We have a winner already! Daddy bright bouquet and water lily were there for moral support  :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »
Oh no! Poor Goldi. Poor Emily. :(
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 01:05:23 PM »
You can fax me my cookie at 1-877-kars-4-kids!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:19:18 PM »
Daddy Sweet Celebrations and Water Lily <3

Seriously though, Poor Goldilocks. I have her, and mines hair is just split and worn. It curls and hasn't fallen out but it's truly not looking all that great.

Yours is lucky to have someone to appreciate her for what she is :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
Just pulled out my Goldi to check - all her hair seems fine and even in texture.  Gave it a good tug and no breakage or hair loss, save for a single short tail hair.  I'm baffled what's happened to yours because normally if it was caused by chemical exposure, you'd expect all her hair to be equally damaged.  It's possible the orange sections of nylon were more susceptible to whatever happened, either because of something intrinsic to the hair itself or just the formula that was used to make it.

Is the yellow part of her hair also brittle?
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 01:32:42 PM »
Just pulled out my Goldi to check - all her hair seems fine and even in texture.  Gave it a good tug and no breakage or hair loss, save for a single short tail hair.  I'm baffled what's happened to yours because normally if it was caused by chemical exposure, you'd expect all her hair to be equally damaged.  It's possible the orange sections of nylon were more susceptible to whatever happened, either because of something intrinsic to the hair itself or just the formula that was used to make it.

Is the yellow part of her hair also brittle?

This is what puzzles me, I am no expert in hair types but my Daddy Apple delight, Applejack and starhopper all seem to have similar yellow hair. All of them have soft hair but Goldi has Dry feeling hair, more towards the bottom. This being said all of them except daddy AD have straight hair and Daddy AD has his factory curl so it could be due to that. I have several ponies who had curly hair and it is now very very dry. I don't have a hair dupe for her orange sections. I did have hair fallout from her yellow sections too but not as bad as the orange btw

Post Merge: July 30, 2018, 01:33:46 PM

Daddy Sweet Celebrations and Water Lily <3

Seriously though, Poor Goldilocks. I have her, and mines hair is just split and worn. It curls and hasn't fallen out but it's truly not looking all that great.

Yours is lucky to have someone to appreciate her for what she is :)
Thank you! a lot of goldilocks I see have quite sad looking hair

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:42:06 PM »
Her orange is a match to Crumpet and Baby Lucky Leaf, the yellow does indeed look like Applejack / golden delicious.  Curling was done via heat setting at the factory as far as I know.  They wouldn't have time to apply hair product and wait for it to set/dry on the production line.   Heat is faster and cheaper, once you pay for the initial machine. 

Poor Goldi - well if worst comes to worst, at least there's always the option of a rehair.  She's still pretty now though.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 01:49:38 PM »
You've done a really good job with her considering the traumatic experience of losing some of her hair! I know we discussed product as possible cause...I also wonder whether frizz in general is a step on the route towards hair damage. My Goldilocks' hair seems fine, it's not frizzy...and my sister has never tried to brush hers with the wotsit hair...so I can't report any findings here :/ A bit distressing though to have it happen like that.

Also, isn't it Daddy Bright Bouquet?? ;)

And it's a UK Water Lily :D with very pretty original curl by the looks!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 02:03:51 PM »
Her orange is a match to Crumpet and Baby Lucky Leaf, the yellow does indeed look like Applejack / golden delicious.  Curling was done via heat setting at the factory as far as I know.  They wouldn't have time to apply hair product and wait for it to set/dry on the production line.   Heat is faster and cheaper, once you pay for the initial machine. 

Poor Goldi - well if worst comes to worst, at least there's always the option of a rehair.  She's still pretty now though.

Imagine if crumpets across the globe started loosing hair D: I wonder if the heat affected hair quality on some level? With Human hair it damages and with nylon hair like the ponies high heat burns... I wonder if applying slight heat somehow damages them in a way that makes them prone to irreverable frizz and possible breakage. I have two ponies with a ball of frizz I cant fix at the end of their tail. And rehair is an option you are right!

Post Merge: July 30, 2018, 02:06:35 PM

You've done a really good job with her considering the traumatic experience of losing some of her hair! I know we discussed product as possible cause...I also wonder whether frizz in general is a step on the route towards hair damage. My Goldilocks' hair seems fine, it's not frizzy...and my sister has never tried to brush hers with the wotsit hair...so I can't report any findings here :/ A bit distressing though to have it happen like that.

Also, isn't it Daddy Bright Bouquet?? ;)

And it's a UK Water Lily :D with very pretty original curl by the looks!
Odd, either my girl is a one off from some predisposed weakness in her hair, product was only applied to her orange (Which would be strange for a person to do) or orange combined with product is not a good combo  :blush: :blush: And yes! My water lily has very curly hair  :P Factory curl too, i just cant get it to sit flat on her head  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:06:35 PM by emily_katie »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »
She is lovely! Congrats on her :) I think she is such an underrated girl.

It could honestly be all manner of things even the fact that different coloured hair could react differently over time. Hair which has been so heavily treated in order to get the original curl is always a teeny tiny but more prone to suffering (mainly no doubt due to all the brushing/tugging over the years). The orange streak could have had something on it years ago which contributed to the breakage or the original hair used could just have a lower resistance to the chemicals originally used to hold it in place.

We do see different hair colours react differently over time but, as mostly we don't know what the ponies we have in our collection have been through over the years, its always a little hard to be completely accurate. But I would expect it to come down to just being a different hair (colour or quality) originally :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »
My Goldilocks has awful hair, but in her case it's obvious that it was just given a really awful haircut from a child.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »
Lots of pony hugs ,  I am sorry this is so distressing.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 11:01:33 PM »
Imagine if crumpets across the globe started loosing hair D: I wonder if the heat affected hair quality on some level? With Human hair it damages and with nylon hair like the ponies high heat burns... I wonder if applying slight heat somehow damages them in a way that makes them prone to irreverable frizz and possible breakage. I have two ponies with a ball of frizz I cant fix at the end of their tail. And rehair is an option you are right!

So far, thankfully, cases of G1 with hair breakage / 'rot' seem to be near non-existent.  I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility completely, but so far your poor darling seems to be an outlier.   The temporary heat used to set curves and curls is probably not the root cause, as so many ponies were treated thusly and don't seem any worse for it.  It's more likely that curly hair turns up more damaged because it's hard to brush without making a mess, and tangles leads to even more brushing, pulling, and damage to the individual strands of hair. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal