collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: EDIT: Baby Firefly’s forelock- added pictures and more info!  (Read 2301 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
To all you knowledgeable pony peeps! :biggrin:

I’ve been searching the forum for what seems like forever, but I’m obviously doing something wrong because I can’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for. Can anyone please help me out with the difference between Baby Firefly with forelock and Baby Firefly without forelock. I have them both, but can’t for the life of me remember what it was with the one without forelock.

I remember reading something about it years ago, but can’t seem to find back to that information.... >_<

Edit: So, I’ve been searching a little, and I’ve found enough pictures of baby Firefly without forelock to think that she isn’t that uncommon. However, after studying them closely I’m also convinced that they are two different releases. The one without forelock also has a fraction bigger symbol(both longer and wider), and her pink is a little more muted somehow. It isn’t quite the same color (although it is not very noticeable).

The baby with forelock is identical to the one I had as a kid, which came in a box (I think! I have no real memories of getting her, but I did have some of the accessories that came with baby Firefly). Since baby Firefly also was sold on card in Norway, I am inclined to think that the one without forelock actually is the card version (Both these girls were found at flea markets in Norway).

But all this is just speculation from my side- I would appreciate ANY additional information or someone else’s speculations to be added to my own :P

I also added pictures for you all, because who can resist finding out something interesting about these two cuties ;)

Baby Firefly w/forelock
http://visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Baby Firefly without forelock
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Her symbol is also a little bigger and she is a tiny bit different shade of pink.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:19:43 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
Re: EDIT: Baby Firefly’s forelock- added pictures and more info!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 02:06:42 AM »
scooping over from the other post :)
Will try to dig my Firefly up when home to see what she look like.
Although, I'm not 100% sure she came on card,I very much suspect that is the case.

I also have baby Firefly both MOC and MIB, so will try to find them as well :) However I dont think my MOC is Sweden sold, but from the Netherlands, but I'm not sure. I dont know if that makes any different though.

However, these where recently sold, and the card has swedish stickers on it, so I assume this is trylu a Sweden sold baby Firefly. Maybe that will help you on the way :) She seem to have a forelock though.
https://www.tradera.com/item/290913/316986272/my-little-pony-baby-pony-firefly#view-item-main
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 03:41:06 AM »
Thank you Leikin! I appreciate it very much!

I thought this would be an easy and quick question, but from the lack of responses in this thread -she might be a bigger mystery than I suspected...

I love mysteries though! :P

I remember that auction! I followed her sales, but unfortunately for me they were all sold only within Sweden :(

Do you think it is likely that this pony was the one on card? She looks exactly like my childhood one, so if that is the case my theory doesn’t hold up. I would so love to know more about this girl! It is clear to me by looking at the two that she is a separate release. They are not from the same batch- but I only know of those two releases of the baby Firefly in Norway. The boxed version and the one on card... :huh:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:47:08 AM by katrine2309 »

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 04:12:36 AM »
Yeah, I like mysteries too, but its hard with these small variations :P

I think its likely its the pony from the card. I belive the seller is selling of her childhood stuff, as she has all cards still with them. I managed to grab one of the pony wears at least, but there where several others I had wanted as well. :(

I thought so too. Also, if I remember correct, mine looks more like the other one you had, with bigger symbol, that I belive was on card. Dont remember if she had forelock though.

Now I want to go home fast so I can do some ponyhunting in my boxes! *lol*
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 05:29:28 AM »
I can confirm that the carded version of Firefly that I own has a forelock with beautiful tight curls and smaller symbols. Meanwhile the boxed US release does not appear to have a forelock with straighter looking hair which is nowhere near as styled as the carded version.

I have seen similar variations with others such as the Rainbow ponies, Newborn Twins, Sweetberry Ponies, etc.. and almost certain it depends on different batches produced by different manufacturers as side by side some of them don't appear to have the same hair/body shades, print, and other details despite sharing the same foot stamp.

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 06:39:30 AM »
@Leikin: Thank you! I really do appreciate your efforts in this. I’m super grateful!

I can confirm that the carded version of Firefly that I own has a forelock with beautiful tight curls and smaller symbols. Meanwhile the boxed US release does not appear to have a forelock with straighter looking hair which is nowhere near as styled as the carded version.

I have seen similar variations with others such as the Rainbow ponies, Newborn Twins, Sweetberry Ponies, etc.. and almost certain it depends on different batches produced by different manufacturers as side by side some of them don't appear to have the same hair/body shades, print, and other details despite sharing the same foot stamp.

Oh, that is interesting! Thank you so much for replying :biggrin: None of the girls with me seems like they ever had curls. I might be wrong about that though and they are just really washed out. However, my own childhood baby Firefly never had curls. Do you know where your carded girl are from? Or if she has the glittery or matted symbol?

I think you are probably right though- these minor variations are most likely due to different manufacturers and different batches. But Norway is a super small market compared to most others, and the two different types of baby Firefly (boxed vs carded) were not sold at the same time. It would have made sense to find a distinction between the boxed vs carded versions sold here (or inScandinavia for that matter). But knowing Hasbro, it is absolutely possible that these variations came all over and that both boxed and carded versions were a mix of forelocks and not forelocks.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:11:03 PM by katrine2309 »

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:56:47 PM »
It's cool that you're interested in these details, I'm fascinated by those variants too.

The carded Baby Firefly was from Sweden and has glittery symbols, I have seen the same version sold in the Netherlands. With Baby Firefly I also got an adult Surprise with the original card from the same owner and according to the seller both were bought together with some Rainbow ponies from the same shop at the same time.

Surprise was from the Scandinavian Unicorns and Pegasus set which included Powder, Skyflier, Gusty (green eyes), Sparkler, Firefly (curly), Medley (curly), Heartthrob, Glory, Moondancer (yellow). Interestingly Moondancer, Powder, Glory, and Medley were not shown nor mentioned on their backcards. The Rainbow ponies had similar European art and were the second set (Confetti, Trickles, etc...).

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 11:02:17 PM »
@Gizmo: Yes, I’m very interested! I’m trying to understand more of the Norwegian releases compared to Sweden and Denmark. They were sometimes the same and sometimes different. It is a little messy, but super interesting! :biggrin:

Do you have any pictures of your Surprise by the way? I have seen a Powder on that backcard- but never seen the back of the backcard. The Fable ponies are also one of the more interesting releases in my opinion. It seems like many of these ponies did have some small or big variation to differentiate them from other releases of them. Yellow Moondancer, green-eyed Gusty with glittery symbol, pale Powder. No wonder they got the nickname Fable ponies ;)

I am guessing the language on the backcards are English? Do you know if it says anywhere that they are UK (on the backcard?) A lot of ponies sold here (almost all I believe) did have UK backcards (even though they were never sold in the UK). I think I remember correctly that the Fable ponies were one of these sets.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:09:26 PM by katrine2309 »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 01:30:45 PM »
*cries over lack of fable ponies in the UK*

So unfair :(

<---completely useless post.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 02:38:03 PM »

:(

If I only could find any of them though- but they are elusive and Fable-like even in Scandinavia :pout:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »

If I only could find any of them though- but they are elusive and Fable-like even in Scandinavia :pout:

The cards are so pretty though :/ One day I will add a fable card to my card collection, I swear it O.O.

Interesting that they're even difficult to find over there though.

Going back on topic of the thread, I don't have any MIP Baby Fireflies so can't be really helpful but I can report on my 2 loose ones - glittery symbol (from US) has fairly straightish hair which curls under and a forelock. Painted symbol (from either Austria or Germany, probably Austria but I cannot remember 100%) has curlier hair and also has a forelock.

I don't know if any of that helps but I'll add it to the pile as I'm here with my ponies atm.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »

The cards are so pretty though :/ One day I will add a fable card to my card collection, I swear it O.O.

Interesting that they're even difficult to find over there though.

Going back on topic of the thread, I don't have any MIP Baby Fireflies so can't be really helpful but I can report on my 2 loose ones - glittery symbol (from US) has fairly straightish hair which curls under and a forelock. Painted symbol (from either Austria or Germany, probably Austria but I cannot remember 100%) has curlier hair and also has a forelock.

I don't know if any of that helps but I'll add it to the pile as I'm here with my ponies atm.

Thanks, Taffeta! Hmm, and the plot thickens it seems. The Baby Firefly forelock mystery is nowhere near to be solved. Funny enough, I actually thought this would be a quick Q&A :lol:

I know I have seen pictures of her without forelock before, but it seems like she might not be as common as I thought. Or maybe it is a difference that is (too) easily overlooked *pondering*. The one without forelock do seem to have totally straight hair. Whereas the one with forelock has hair that curls more under her chin. Like your US release version.

I do think that it is most likely just a batch difference. Would have been fun to find any other fireflies without forelock though! She does have her charm  ^.^
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:38:13 PM by katrine2309 »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
It may be entirely unconnected, but Baby Half Note with lavender eyes also has completely straight hair, whereas aqua eyed has curly hair. It does at least demonstrate that such a variation in the same pony isn't unheard of...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 12:35:40 AM »
It may be entirely unconnected, but Baby Half Note with lavender eyes also has completely straight hair, whereas aqua eyed has curly hair. It does at least demonstrate that such a variation in the same pony isn't unheard of...

That is interesting! Where the lavender/aqua eyes two different releases? Or just differences within the same release? ( I don’t know that much about Baby Half Note :blush:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 04:14:52 AM »

That is interesting! Where the lavender/aqua eyes two different releases? Or just differences within the same release? ( I don’t know that much about Baby Half Note :blush:

Ugh. Welll. I don't think we've ever really nailed it down. Especially since it isn't clear if/how they differ from the US Mail Order baby Half Note. I don't know if the regular version was sold in your part of the world, but here in the UK the Dance School had a BBE release and a regular eyed release. And it was out quite a long time. I had the playset as a kid in around 87 with the aqua eyed regular version. My close friend had hers with the lavender eyed straight haired version (who now lives with me). I don't know exactly when Alex had hers but probably around the same time as me, given we were the same age and I don't remember her not having it. Her Dance School had different colour accessories to mine in some places (I had a pink ballet box, I think hers was yellow) so it seems like different batches but I don't have the boxes for either hers or mine to look for date stamps on the inside for clues :/

All I know is that the UK release had an aqua eyed curly haired version and a purple eyed straight haired version as well as the standard BBE version that's so common in the US.

The UK dance school also had white ballet shoes which the US release doesn't seem to have had, so goodness knows what they were doing, to be honest :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal