collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Theory: Someone got the names mixed up regarding the Glittery Sweetheat Sisters  (Read 978 times)

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Everyone complains about the lack of naming sense of G4 ponies...but... can we talk about the obvious name mixup somewhere that happened with the Glittery Sweetheart Sisters ponies?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Literally any of the other 3 names would have suited Sunblossom better than "Sunblossom". And naming a pony with hearts on it "Starflash" is pretty nonsense, when the one with stars in the grouping already has a name that doesn't make a lick of sense.  Not Pursey Pink level, of course, because we all know that's the new bar for nonsense.

Bright Night is the only one that makes any sense if you reach extremely hard and just assume they were talking about the 1989 prom in any given high school. Which was rather filled with sequins or bows.

So what do you think?  Do you think someone mixed up the names somewhere and they just didn't care? Or do you think there was some actual logical reason the names are the way they are?  Or did they just use a dart board?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:21:21 PM by flutterscotch »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
The names of this set are certainly odd, Sunblossom definitely should have been Starflash since her symbols are stars. I feel like Twinkler should probably have been Sunblossom? Her symbols look like suns.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Everyone complains about the lack of naming sense of G4 ponies...but... can we talk about the obvious name mixup somewhere that happened with the Glittery Sweetheart Sisters ponies?

Literally any of the other 3 names would have suited Sunblossom better than "Sunblossom". And naming a pony with hearts on it "Starflash" is pretty nonsense, when the one with stars in the grouping already has a name that doesn't make a lick of sense.  Not Pursey Pink level, of course, because we all know that's the new bar for nonsense.

Bright Night is the only one that makes any sense if you reach extremely hard and just assume they were talking about the 1989 prom in any given high school. Which was rather filled with sequins or bows.

So what do you think?  Do you think someone mixed up the names somewhere and they just didn't care? Or do you think there was some actual logical reason the names are the way they are?  Or did they just use a dart board?

I always thought it was mixed up and the higher ups either didn't care because it wasn't horrendously mixed up, or it was too late to correct it before they were sold. But maybe there is some secret real reason for their names. *X-files theme starts playing*

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I've mentioned this before but the UK name for Twinkler is Moonshimmer. So in the UK it's even worse. Moonshimmer has suns, Sunblossom has stars, Starflash has hearts and Bright Night has bows.

Switching the names around doesn't totally work though. If you switched Sunblossom to Starflash and Moonshimmer/Twinkler to Sunblossom, that works - but hearts and bows do not really go with Bright Night, and even if Twinkler is generic enough to apply to any of them, Moonshimmer definitely needs moons for the switch to work.

So I think there's a bigger breakdown in the creative process here between name and pony than just getting the wrong pony. It seriously sounds as though one of them ought to have had moons at least, because even though the US didn't use the name Moonshimmer, Bright Night does kind of suggest moonlight...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
We had some fun discussing these in the chat box a while back. I also think Hasbro mixed up the names.  Sometimes I wonder how many names Hasbro came up with at the company cocktail parties. :lol: Maybe one of the party games was throwing darts at dartboard of possible pony names or they put potential pony names in a bag, shook it up and then dumped all the names on the floor.

I think Twinkler should of have been Sun Blossom. Sun Blossom should have been Twinkler or even Bright Night.  Starflahsh doesn't make snese either but none of the other names seem sutiable for her or Bright Night.
Starflash's  UK backcard story does mention her having hearts.

From My Little Wiki

I love starry nights in Pony Land!" laughed the Pony. "I love your pretty lovehearts!" said a glittery star, flashing down from the sky. I'd like to count them!"

And guess what? The glittery star spent so long counting the pretty lovehearts... it forgot to go back to the sky. "I'd love you to stay with me!" said the Pony. "I'd have my very own glittery Starflash then." And she has, hasn't she? Now she's a Glittering Pony!

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I have Starflash in her UK box, I even have the story on my site and I hadn't even thought to check (stupid Taffeta >.>).
THat sounds like Hasbro UK trying to cover for naming idiocy to me...
I don't have a US card for this set. Do they all have the same story over there?

Should probably check what the comics say as well because they did have a flurry of appearances. Starflash was usually drawn in white and pink so I remember it. She was also a Pony of the Month in one of the comics as well.

I can't get at my comics - maybe LM will have some input?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:02:21 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
I have Starflash in her UK box, I even have the story on my site and I hadn't even thought to check (stupid Taffeta >.>).
THat sounds like Hasbro UK trying to cover for naming idiocy to me...
I don't have a US card for this set. Do they all have the same story over there?

Should probably check what the comics say as well because they did have a flurry of appearances. Starflash was usually drawn in white and pink so I remember it. She was also a Pony of the Month in one of the comics as well.

I can't get at my comics - maybe LM will have some input?

I agree about Starflash's UK story. It still doesn't make sense and does sound like Hasbro was trying to come with a reason for her to have glittery hearts.

Here's the US backcard story also from the Wiki. It's the same for all of the ponies.

Glittery Sweetheart Sister Ponies
One day, the Glittery Sweetheart Sister Ponies strolled in a magical garden that grew under the rainbow. The four friends gathered flowers shaped like hearts, stars, and bows, and wove them into their beautiful hair. While they sniffed the sweet blossoms, Mr. Moon awoke from his daytime nap and smiled at his pony friends. Puffing his round cheeks, he blew shiny moondust into the garden. The glitter drifted onto the ponies, who danced with delight at Mr. Moon's sparkling gift. And that is how the Glittery Sweetheart Sister Ponies got their glitter!

I didn't realize Starflash was white with pink hearts in the comics. That's very interesting.  :)

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
The US story is even more generic and totally unhelpful xD.

Thanks for sharing it.

I think the assumption with Starflash in the comic was a mistake by the illustrators based on a prototype photo. She's a pale blue so in the lighting maybe she looked white, and purple hair often comes up as pink in pictures. So that's why she was drawn that way.

Unfortunately on this PC I don't have the full image that was cropped from, with the text as well...but I am guessing it's on the same lines as her very convenient UK story.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Its certainly a set where you feel as though the people naming the ponies were clearly working in a different office/country than the people designing the ponies :P

Even after all this time, I sometimes struggle to get the right name to the right pony - especially Sunblossom - I normally call her Starflash :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
You know, I didn't know Twinkler's symbols were supposed to be suns. They look more like they are supposed to be 6-8 point stars or even flowers >.>; because the shape looks close to the flower chunky glitter I have. It's the face the points are rounded XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
*nods vigorously*  I think the names must have been mixed up.  The gold pony should be named Sunblossom.  The pony with stars could be any of the other three names.

None of the names are really great for the hearts pony or bows pony, but I guess "Twinkler" is generic enough that any of them could have had that name.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
I've got Twinkler and never questioned it, but it did take me a few months to continuously get her name right.
I feel like Bright Night has no fitting name out of this set.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Yeah, I was saying this just the other day XD I definitely think something got mixed up somewhere down the line. I mean, yeah, pony names don't always match their symbols perfectly (if at all), but these.. nah. Someone definitely screwed up, IMO.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
That's my theory too. As well as the Tropical Ponies. Its my personal theory they gave them their names during a drunken company party.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:24:37 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
I thought of another way that Hasbro might have come up with the names for these ponies I'm not sure what it's called outside of the United States but there used to be a word game called Mad Libs where you put different words in to the blanks to make a silly story.

I can see Hasbro using them with this set.  :lol:

Something like

"Wow!" the (color) yellow pony cried as she looked up at the beautiful (plural nouns) hearts in the sky...

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal