collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are plastic bins good for pony storage?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Are plastic bins good for pony storage?
« on: July 28, 2018, 07:02:06 AM »
I have been in the process of packing up my ponies for months, and I grab these pretty big and sturdy plastic containers from the dollar store.  They hold a good amount of my collection. But is the plastic safe for them for idefininite amounts of time?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

formerly nightmare muffin

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Are plastic bins good for pony storage?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 07:54:23 AM »
Many people with G3s are reporting stickiness on them that may be caused due to the offgassing of the plastic containers. If you are worried about that, you may want to try another method. However, I know many people use plastic containers and do fine with those.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 08:00:05 AM »
I have stored mine in plastic containters and I have always wrapped paper around them so nothing gets more damaged and I have never felt any sticky ponies yet.
Icon by Minty_Magic

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 08:22:04 AM »
Yep, throw some silica packets in there just in case, make sure the ponies aren't stacked on top of each other and that the lid doesn't crush any ears. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 09:44:49 AM »
I personally don't believe it's good for long term storage because the box can't breathe.  (I'm probably in the minority for this, but I think it's an incubator for deterioration).

You also should be wrapping them in some archival tissue so they don't rub colors against each other.

And as @lovesbabysquirmy said, you need to toss silica packets in there for humidity.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Shadoweon

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 12:04:14 PM »
I would recommend wrapping them in paper or a similar packing material to reduce the risk of scuffs/paint rubs.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 12:32:05 PM »
99.9% of plastics are not considered safe long term storage.
Plexiglass and mylar are archival / museum conservationist approved.  Everything else? Nope.
That said, the ponies themselves are probably more volatile than most plastic bins and are more likely to harm each other via colour transfer, rubs, crushing, etc.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 02:58:07 PM »
I store mine in the same brand of containers, but what I do is use old, well-washed pale colored cotton sheets.  Just find some at the thrift store and cut it big enough to keep ponies touching the sides and each other (just weaving a strip where they mainly touch is sufficient).  I also store them standing upright to prevent crushing.

I also rotate out my collection every 3 months, so no ponies are in the box for more than 9 months at a time.

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 08:39:11 PM »
I wouldn't put them in there for 9 months+. I kept my Twilight and Applejack (g1) in a plastic container together for around that period of time when we were getting ready to move. After I finally got my ponies back, Twilight had this red mark on her cheek from where something, I'm guessing Applejack's apples, rubbed against her.

It also happened with some MH dolls too.

But I think it's good for short term, idk how it affects g4 ponies though...

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 08:53:39 PM »
Yes, short term storage only.  But it's definitely better than throwing them into a cardboard box and throwing them into the garage... :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:20 PM »
Yes, short term storage only.  But it's definitely better than throwing them into a cardboard box and throwing them into the garage... :D
trailers don't have garages...

Post Merge: July 28, 2018, 09:59:27 PM

I have stored mine in plastic containters and I have always wrapped paper around them so nothing gets more damaged and I have never felt any sticky ponies yet.
what kind of paper would you suggest?

Post Merge: July 28, 2018, 10:04:56 PM

Yep, throw some silica packets in there just in case, make sure the ponies aren't stacked on top of each other and that the lid doesn't crush any ears.
I had no idea such precision went into storing ponies. I threw them all of top of each other, trying to save space
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:04:56 PM by nightmare muffin »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 10:08:49 PM »
no! I have stored ponies before for years in cardboard boxes and never had a problem, I have had them stored in all types of environmental conditions. 2 years ago when we moved again I thought I would use plastic tubs cause my husband was moving stuff around alot and I didn't want him to crush my ponies (so I didn't want him to put heavy stuff on a box that would crush). When I went thought the ponies about a year later I found many have gone sticky, I am devastated about this. All my ponies that are stored are back in cardboard boxes. I wouldn't recommend plastic tubs to anyone due to my experience. To many ponies went sticky for me to but it down to chance, I think it was the plastic tubs, it doesn't let air flow properly

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 04:53:12 AM »
I've got my ponies in plastic boxes with holes for ventilation. They are pilled on each other, been a year and nothin' happened :blush:

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 05:31:28 AM »
Maybe it depends on how perfect you want them to come back out?

It doesn't matter what you store - if you want something to come back out in the same packed away condition you have to take some measures to ensure that is the case.

Plastic is not the best option - unless you ventilate the box and store the ponies in acid free tissue paper. But then again, if its all you have, then you just have to make it as ideal as possible for your situation. The amount of time they will be stored, the atmosphere conditions of where you live are also large part of what you actually have to put in place.

As Baby Sugarberry says, you may encounter more issues with ponies causing issues with others stored in the same place than the plastic box itself.

If you want them to come back out as perfect as possible - wrap them in acid free tissue paper, ensure to wrap hair around legs and protect each by having tissue paper between hair/body. Ventilate the box and line it. Store the box in a place which is not subject to great differences in humidity/temperature and ensure to check on them (rotate them) regularly.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 08:16:48 AM »
There is no "saving space" when you want to properly archive a collection.  It's a LOT of careful packing and consideration.
The Bad Trader List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal