collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: North American Exlusives?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
North American Exlusives?
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:28:50 AM »
Does anyone have a list of G1 ponies sold in the us/north america that were not sold in Europe or the uk? I'd like to eventually trade some of my G1s for european G2s, since G2s are so hard to find in the us, so I'd like to know which us ponies are rarer in europe.
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
Re: North American Exlusives?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 05:36:04 AM »
I have a checklist which has some notes for Exclusive ponies. Although I hadn't noted things like the Mail order ponies being North American exclusive. I might edit the main page actually so check it again in a couple of hours.
https://mylittleponyaccessories.weebly.com/ponies.html

There's also Taffeta's Scrapbook for full information of what was sold in the UK.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1987.html

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 06:05:00 AM »
I've tried to lay out my site so that all ponies are integrated together but I do mention on each page what was and wasn't sold in the UK. I say UK because there isn't a blanket rule between what we had and what Europe had and different parts of Europe had different things. For example, Italy had Mimic, but I don't think anywhere else in Europe did. I know the 2nd set TAF ponies were sold in Holland, but they weren't sold in the UK and I am not sure where else they were sold, maybe Belgium. Also the 2nd set Princesses. And I think there are some ponies that the US had and the UK had which some parts of Europe maybe didn't get as well.

So it isn't really black and white and because of that I've never got around to making a checklist because it's just so complicated.

Mail Order ponies are mostly US or Canada exclusives but there are some exceptions...we had some here as end of line through markets and we had Lucky and Ember, for example.

Sorry to give such a blurry response. Your plan is a good one...but it will probably depend a bit on where the person you're trading to lives.

Jorgito said the other day that HK ponies from the early years are hard to find in France. I mention this only because I think France had the longest G2 run so looking at what was sold there may be helpful.

My site can pretty definitely answer questions about UK release but I am not sure G2 were available here as plentifully as on the continent. I've found a few later ones here and so I know we had them up to a point but I see them come up more from the continent, and I can only be certain about a few releases there...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 06:39:00 AM »
For example, Italy had Mimic, but I don't think anywhere else in Europe did.

Wait! Italy had Mimic?! That's weird! Also didn't know about the TAF and knew about but forgot about the princess pony second set. I'm going to have to add a note on my page :P

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:40:45 AM »
I've considered trading US G1s for Euro G2s but I'd be lucky if my small stash of common US ponies would trade for a single G2 that I want *cough*Waterlily*cough*
I'll still browse a list or whatever, though. Might be easier if I look up my own collection on a site that says who was sold where.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 11:01:11 PM »
For example, Italy had Mimic, but I don't think anywhere else in Europe did.

Wait! Italy had Mimic?! That's weird! Also didn't know about the TAF and knew about but forgot about the princess pony second set. I'm going to have to add a note on my page :P

Yeah. I have an insert from Italy from 1987 and she's there. So are the rest of her set. I've also heard it mentioned before in discussions. Of course, there's never been a MOC Mimic on Italian card yet. I live in hope one will one day appear :) Of course, that also means I will need a Tic Tac Toe from that set on Italian cards if I am really bent on collecting all the carded variations of Tic Tac Toe...so maybe it's better if they never surface at all.

(I know I still owe you images of cards and stuff, I will get to them, I promise. It's been a really insane summer and it's not ended yet as I'm still sorting my accommodation for next year.)

@Khoufu - if it's a consolation, Water Lily seems to have been sold in the UK as well as on the continent so there's a wider possibility of finding her. (Also try checking French, German ebays. They show up more often there, esp on French ebay).
And that's one way of doing it. Though mine - aside Chrissytree's list when she's done -  may be the only site that even tries to do that...I think the Wiki sometimes does but mostly doesn't for ponies sold in the US line.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:03:47 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 07:26:41 AM »
i think they My Little Wiki does have a list

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/G1_Ponies

If you scroll down, the exclusives are highlighted in other color.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 08:04:34 AM »

This is a good starting point, but it has some major holes as to European releases. It doesn’t seem to mention which US Mail orders for instance that were also sold in Europe, and which countries in Europe. Also, ponies that are described as Euro exclusives were rarely (if ever?) actually sold in all of Europe. This isn’t differentiated at all.

It also lacks several pony sets that was not released in the US, such as the 2nd Play and Care babies or the set including baby Hopscotch/Honeycomb/CJ/Buttons or the set with Katie, Billie etc.
It might therefore be difficult to use it as a cross-reference list between US releases and the releases in different European countries.

But as a general rule I would say that several of the sought-after US exclusives are sought-after in Europe as well ;).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:12:00 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 09:43:54 AM »

The Wiki's list is just plain wrong in too many places. It is too US based and it tries to force ponies from outside the US into the US list...where they don't go naturally.
(edited post because this isn't the list that makes me really angry, that's the navigation list. This one is not as bad. But still not very helpful as it inserts European releases in the wrong place at several points, eg CP AJ, Bow Tie, Nightlight, Raindrop, etc etc)

Besides, Wiki doesn't point out many US exclusives. Because it considers all ponies sold in the US to be US ponies, even if they were sold elsewhere, which many of them were...

And some of those it lists as US excl I think were sold in Australia and NZ anyway, so actually aren't..?

I also didn't see Gypsy's set. Possibly because Gypsy's set is a pandora's box as it is not consistent across countries :) and mostly doesn't include Gypsy except here.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 09:50:44 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
If it makes you angry, why don't you edit it? 
I mean that's the whole point of a community Wiki, everyone can help make it better.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
If it makes you angry, why don't you edit it? 
I mean that's the whole point of a community Wiki, everyone can help make it better.

I did actually intend to help fix the navigation links this summer but I had a disability tribunal, a move and a thesis draft to deal with and amazingly, they come first.

That aside, it's not my job to run around correcting the Wiki.

My job is to update my ID site. The info was there on my site years before Wiki was created and it would've been absolutely fine for the Wiki to use it if they had wanted to. The bottom line is, if other people don't use my site, that's up to them - but I am not obligated to increase my workload correcting other websites.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:13:27 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 07:05:33 PM »
I did actually intend to help fix the navigation links this summer but I had a disability tribunal, a move and a thesis draft to deal with and amazingly, they come first.

My job is to update my ID site. The info was there on my site years before Wiki was created and it would've been absolutely fine for the Wiki to use it if they had wanted to. The bottom line is, if other people don't use my site, that's up to them - but I am not obligated to increase my workload correcting other websites.

I never said it was anyone's job, just that if it bothers you that much, it's editable.  It can't be enjoyable being angry at something all the time after all, that has to be exhausting. I'd fix it but I wouldn't know what to change.  All my personal knowledge is grounded in the North American releases and not UK/Europe/other parts of the world.   
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 12:28:33 AM »

I never said it was anyone's job, just that if it bothers you that much, it's editable.  It can't be enjoyable being angry at something all the time after all, that has to be exhausting. I'd fix it but I wouldn't know what to change.  All my personal knowledge is grounded in the North American releases and not UK/Europe/other parts of the world.   

What annoys me is that, although the information has been around and known for a long time before both the WIki and Strawberry Reef were established, both sites went to the broken DV model to construct the site rather than gathering all information first and getting the international stuff right. The Wiki at least does correct and edit, but it doesn't change the fact.

I've spent a lot of time and energy over the past 2 decades trying to help sort out international pony information. And it doesn't require these days to have a good knowledge of the UK or Europe to transmit that knowledge. It only really needs the ability to use Google or click a link to check.

The reason there are so many mistakes is that everyone expects someone else to do the work. And I take what you say that I could edit it, but that's the thing that frustrates me the most. I feel as though I already did this work a long time ago.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 12:37:34 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 01:17:59 AM »
What annoys me is that, although the information has been around and known for a long time before both the WIki and Strawberry Reef were established, both sites went to the broken DV model to construct the site rather than gathering all information first and getting the international stuff right. The Wiki at least does correct and edit, but it doesn't change the fact.

I've spent a lot of time and energy over the past 2 decades trying to help sort out international pony information. And it doesn't require these days to have a good knowledge of the UK or Europe to transmit that knowledge. It only really needs the ability to use Google or click a link to check.

The reason there are so many mistakes is that everyone expects someone else to do the work. And I take what you say that I could edit it, but that's the thing that frustrates me the most. I feel as though I already did this work a long time ago.

It doesn't really surprise me that the Wiki follows the DV model, as it's pretty much the successor.  And fixing the Wiki requires one to first see there's a problem.  It would be lovely if more folks would help out, but I don't blame people for not correcting stuff if they don't even know there's something that needs alteration.  *shrugs*  No one's information is perfect and we all contribute what we can.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 01:38:14 AM »

It doesn't really surprise me that the Wiki follows the DV model, as it's pretty much the successor.  And fixing the Wiki requires one to first see there's a problem.  It would be lovely if more folks would help out, but I don't blame people for not correcting stuff if they don't even know there's something that needs alteration.  *shrugs*  No one's information is perfect and we all contribute what we can.

That sounds like passing the buck to me.

To go back on topic, however - there isn't really a resource denoting what stuff was either predominately available in the US and what wasn't. Though on reflection I am not sure that is the real question here - what is more important is what ponies were not sold in the places G2 ponies are commonly found - ie Western Europe, perhaps the Uk. But since those markets all differ a little between countries, it's probably going to be hard to make a definitive list.

If you have a list of trade ponies, I suggest just offering them for trade for G2 and seeing if people bite. The thing is, aside some of the MO ponies, a lot of ponies that might be US exclusive or sold only in a few of the European target countries are really easy to obtain. Because the US market is so big, and then most of them are also sold in Canada, that means there are a lot more of them floating around than there are people here wanting to buy them. And I suspect that those ponies which are not common are also expensive within the US as well.

Also, because there's long since been this misconception that everything the US had was sold everywhere else, the value of a lot of these ponies is lower than their equivalents in rarity in other places (for example, peekaboo babies vs playschool babies. I don't know of any country outside the US and Canada which had peekaboo babies off hand, maybe Netherlands - but the girls are cheaper to buy than the playschool babies, and the two boys are more expensive but are more expensive for US buyers as well, so it has nothing to do with their release area.)

Because Germany had some things we didn't (like Pretty pal sets) and because the Netherlands had some things we didn't (like the 2nd set TAF and princesses)...it's really hard now to say "these ponies are US (or more accurately, North American) exclusives".

So I think you just have to find a person with G2 to trade and a cited wantlist and work from that...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal