collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: UK Snowflake color? Can you post a pic if you have both her and Hollywood?  (Read 297 times)

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Would someone be so kind as to post a picture of Snowflake and Hollywood in the same photo so I can compare their colors?  Preferably daylight if you would. Are they the same color? Monitors and lighting and gamma and all.

I had a Snowflake maybe 18 years ago, and I got rid of her because I disliked her color combination a lot, and I didn't get Hollywood for this reason until extremely recently, assuming they were the same color. I'm super into Hollywood, she's great!

Maybe my brain or tastes changed? Maybe they're not the same color?  Maybe my Snowflake was discolored and weird?

I did also recently buy BerryMouse's Spanish Snowflake, and while she is definitely discolored, I'm into her too.  So I'm puzzled by a years-ago visceral reaction.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I don't have mine to hand being back in London at the mo, but I am pretty sure they're not the same colour. My eyes being really stupidly sensitive to colour shades, I may be overthinking it - but I am pretty sure from memory that Hollywood is a little darker...

If nobody has posted a picture for you by the time I go home at the weekend I'll dig out my ponies but I think they're different.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I don't have mine to hand being back in London at the mo, but I am pretty sure they're not the same colour. My eyes being really stupidly sensitive to colour shades, I may be overthinking it - but I am pretty sure from memory that Hollywood is a little darker...

If nobody has posted a picture for you by the time I go home at the weekend I'll dig out my ponies but I think they're different.

Yeah the last time I compared them in anything reasonably approximating even close to the same lighting was when Dream Valley was still around...And we all know what digital photos were like back in 2003.  It's just so hard when a lot of these identification pages pull images from everywhere and everyone in various stages of perfection instead of having a consistent dedicated camera setup (which I get because most of this is volunteer work, but still it would be helpful to have one where folks use a greycard and natural toned studio lighting and did not edit the resulting photos, and presented a range of possibilities.  Maybe if I ever find myself with endless time and money...hahah).

From my recollection, and the Hollywood I have though, I think my Snowflake was darker than my Hollywood. I suppose I should drag some out for comparison.  Hell, my Hollywood could be discolored (I know my Galaxy I will be posting her with definitely is).

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I don't have studio conditions, but I also wonder how much impact monitors and even eyes have on this as well. I mean, for all the image may be perfect in terms of lighting, if your monitor displays it one way and someone else's another way, then they will look different too. And I know from experience that people see colour in different ways anyway.

It's one reason I find it so hard to ID brushes and combs. :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I don't have studio conditions, but I also wonder how much impact monitors and even eyes have on this as well. I mean, for all the image may be perfect in terms of lighting, if your monitor displays it one way and someone else's another way, then they will look different too. And I know from experience that people see colour in different ways anyway.

It's one reason I find it so hard to ID brushes and combs. :/

Considering I'm on a Mac and have been since the early 2000s...and I was a graphic designer...it displays a LOT differently. Especially in terms of gamma.  I had to have settings on my computer specially set up when working with my old art director...who could not get through his head that monitors were different and that there's no way in the world that monitor colors were going to match printed Pantone swatch books...for when he was viewing over my shoulder.

Here's an assortment of what I am working with.  Spanish Snowflake (while the might be the orange-r variant is still ridiculously miscolored) And Galaxy (who somehow manages to have full body regrind, or so I am told, you can see the usual lighter-centered regrind spots under her mane) are definitely out there in terms of what's wrong with them.  But Hollywood is really uniform and lovely.

As it came off my iphone camera (so of course neons are blown right out):

A simple auto-tone in Photoshop:

The photo has her looking more similar to Up Up and Away than she actually is IRL. Her mech is closer, and she is less raspberry.

And finally an illustration of the struggles of trying to match a real-world pony to an RGB image, for laughs. From Ponyland Express:http://www.ponylandpress.com/specialoffer/otherponies.shtml  So you can see just how different two layers of digital processing might be on your end!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:20:13 AM by flutterscotch »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal