collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restoration help/advice needed  (Read 313 times)

Offline Kiwichi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Restoration help/advice needed
« on: July 22, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »
Hello

I'd like to attempt a hydrogen peroxide bath for my a few of my g1 ponies.  I've read the mlpreservationproject site, but had a few questions and some other issues I'd like to attack. 

Make the HP solution and soak the pony and put in the sun.  Im trying to remove what looks like age spot(small brown spots).  Do I need to detach the head from the body?  Or can I dunk the whole pony in the HP solution?  (I think if I need to detach the head, I should just do a full pony boil first, than the HP soak...)

When sunfading u need to cover the eyes/hair/symbols, but inn the HP soak will the eyes /hair/symbols be OK non-covered sitting in the sun?

How do I get rid of musty smell?  I've srcubed the pony w/ Dawn, wash/condition hair & used magic eraser.... but the pony doesnt look much different and still smells....

Some of the hair is still a bit frizzy at the ends, I plan on boiling some water and dunking the ends where the hair is frizzy into the boiling water, will this work?  I've tried conditioning the hair overnight but still frizzy.

Thanks!  Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated :rainbow: :heart:

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration help/advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 01:24:25 PM »
I'm just gonna number these ^.^

1. I'm not too sure.
2. Again, I'm not too sure, but I would imagine you would have to cover them?
3. Hmm... I would think this would be the same as getting rid of a smoke smell. Putting the pony in baking soda or kitty litter for a while and regularly changing the stuff out should work.
4. Boiling water might work, but if it doesn't you can try flat ironing it. I'm not too sure what to use and what precautions to take, I know you have to use lots of conditioner on a low setting. Others have more experience than me though.
I hope I helped, good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Kiwichi

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 01:46:08 PM »
Ty Safflower

How long do u suggest the ponies bathing in baking soda/cat litter?  Im completely bury themn correct?

I watched the utube videos and saw some flat ironing options too.  The sizzling and smoke kinda scares me... but I guess after doing a few shouldn't be too scary :lookround:

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
You should probably leave her completely buried for however long is needed :) You can check in on her every week or so.

I don't think there should be sizzling or smoke :blink: (I haven't had exerience tho? Is that actually normal experienced people?)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
Definitely take a pony's head off before dunking them in any liquid! Otherwise the liquid would get inside and would be unable to dry properly, which could result in rust and mold. Remove the head and probably the tail and its washer as well, and don't put the tail back in or the head back on until it's 100% dried off.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 07:18:22 PM »
All I can say is don't use oxyclean with a princess pony.  It takes the metallic paint off the symbol.  I learned that the hard way   :pout:

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 02:50:49 AM »
Oxyclean can also take off symbols from certain ponies and faster than one imagines: I have read a few accounts about that.

You will definitely need to take the head off the pony and the tail out for the reasons stated by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42, plus the air inside your pony will make her float and not stay in the liquid properly. As it is you will probably need to either weight the pony down or keep on turning as some of them are determined to float anyway. I personally do not use Oxyclean on my ponies; you never know what a strong chemical will do over time.

Re: the symbols in the sun while in the soak, I believe one can paint over them with acrylic and later remove it, but this is something I have not personally tried. I have only sunfaded a dry pony, never in solution.

You can remove the smell as others have stated, but if it is the same pony as the one that is going to be sunfaded then I think the bath should do it. However I have had a few yucky ponies and all I did with them was give them a proper bath and let them sit on a shelf in a very well aired room. The smell disappeared.

I have never tried using boiling water on frizzy hair. I have used a straightener successfully though. It does sizzle (the hair is wet) and perhaps there is a very small amount of steam, but no smoke when I have done it. There are some good tutorials on youtube. All I can say is be careful not to set your straightener too high and make sure you keep the hair wet in whichever way you prefer. Comb it out between runs as well to make sure the strands remain straight. I use a solution of warm water and conditioner which I dunk the hair into and then I spray with a heat-protective spray and then comb. Keep repeating: spray, comb, straightener as many times as you need to and work on very small portions of the hair. Be extra careful with the colour changing hair: it melts as a much lower heat than normal hair and many people do not recommend trying to straighten it. Be sure and wash the hair again afterwards and style as normal.

Good luck, and please post your before and after photo's.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal