Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Thoughts on Minimalism

(1/7) > >>

Sonata:
Hello guys !

Not sure how to say this, it's quite strange still.

I no longer have a lot of joy in collecting anything at all. I have fun taking pics of the things I own and posting on Instagram, specially new things I buy. However, I don't really feel THAT much joy in it anymore.

Strangely enough, I had been thinking of somehow reducing the things I own, but I wasn't sure how to tackle it. And yesterday I bought a book on Minimalism and... what the author writes actually hit home. It resonated with me so much I... am not sure how to react still.

So, I am not sure how things will go from here. I don't know how deeply I will "purge" my things or how quickly. I know I want to reduce them, but there is so much I am overwhelmed.

As a start, I have stuff for sale on my Ebay (link on sig) and I am willing to post anywhere and do bulk discounts if people buy several things (I always combine shipping). But I think I will seriously need to take some time to go through my things and think what I want to keep or not...

Anyone gone through the same here? Anyone changed their lives completely like this? Any advice or thoughts? I value any opinion.

Also, sorry if this in the wrong place xD feel free to move it if that's the case !

And thank you for taking the time to read this.

banditpony:
I think there is a balance. I love the thought of minimalism, but I do like "stuff" too. All of my silly things now fit in my closet, WITH my clothes. They are displayed nicely -- not jammed in.

I'm in the process of deciding what kind of display system will work in my home-- so that's why they are in the closet. I want something that looks sleek and is multi functional.

My tip to reducing is to take your time. (It's overwhelming HOWEVER, you didn't just buy all those things overnight). Look at everything as a whole -- and choose 2-5 items you like the least. Start there. When those sell, look for the next 2-5 items you like the least -- and repeat. It's not as shocking and emotionally easier process.

I personally still like buying things too. I /really/ think about what I want beforehand now-- and try to not make purchases on a whim. And if I do buy something -- I also get rid of something too. :)

Sonata:

--- Quote from: banditpony on July 22, 2018, 10:18:46 AM ---I think there is a balance. I love the thought of minimalism, but I do like "stuff" too. All of my silly things now fit in my closet, WITH my clothes. They are displayed nicely -- not jammed in.

I'm in the process of deciding what kind of display system will work in my home-- so that's why they are in the closet. I want something that looks sleek and is multi functional.

My tip to reducing is to take your time. (It's overwhelming HOWEVER, you didn't just buy all those things overnight). Look at everything as a whole -- and choose 2-5 items you like the least. Start there. When those sell, look for the next 2-5 items you like the least -- and repeat. It's not as shocking and emotionally easier process.

I personally still like buying things too. I /really/ think about what I want beforehand now-- and try to not make purchases on a whim. And if I do buy something -- I also get rid of something too. :)

--- End quote ---

Yes, I think I will start slow and get rid of things slowly. I like "stuff" too, but I have been trying to not buy things on a whim and really think it through beforehand. I like the idea of getting rid of something when you buy something new - I might just do that ! I will have to start with my clothes - the more I think about it, the more I realise there are things I own that I haven't worn in 6-7 years or so. No point keeping those lol.

And then... I really enjoy selling things to others, specially to collectors. The fact that what I don't necessarily need will bring joy to someone else makes me very happy.

I also enjoy taking pictures of what I own, so I think even if I get rid if it, the fact that I can still see it in a picture makes it less of a "loss". I found this out the other day when I was thinking of what ponies I would like to have. And you know what? There really isn't a lot that I would actually like to physically have. I am quite happy just having either the stock pictures or someone else's picture on my pc, so I can look whenever I want. It gives me a sense of ownership somehow, if that makes sense?

Mana Minori:
I agree. I believe that one should and can be content with the necessities of life- food clothing, shelter- and have earnestly tried to live a minimalist life, starting with cleaning out my closet of clothes that I don't need/ wear and trying to put my ponies out of sight into storage, but it's REALLY difficult. ): I just like stuff, also, I like spending hours in thrift stores, tying on (and buying) clothes I don't need, pony merch that I said I wouldn't collect anymore. it's tough....

Sonata:

--- Quote from: nightmare muffin on July 22, 2018, 10:56:57 AM ---I agree. I believe that one should and can be content with the necessities of life- food clothing, shelter- and have earnestly tried to live a minimalist life, starting with cleaning out my closet of clothes that I don't need/ wear and trying to put my ponies out of sight into storage, but it's REALLY difficult. ):

--- End quote ---

Yes !! It will be quite a challenge xD I have a few plushies in storage right now that I bet I will sell about half of when I look at them again. I don't think most of them actually mean much to me in the end, but I am quite curious as to how it will go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version