collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thoughts on Minimalism  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
Thoughts on Minimalism
« on: July 22, 2018, 08:41:44 AM »
Hello guys !

Not sure how to say this, it's quite strange still.

I no longer have a lot of joy in collecting anything at all. I have fun taking pics of the things I own and posting on Instagram, specially new things I buy. However, I don't really feel THAT much joy in it anymore.

Strangely enough, I had been thinking of somehow reducing the things I own, but I wasn't sure how to tackle it. And yesterday I bought a book on Minimalism and... what the author writes actually hit home. It resonated with me so much I... am not sure how to react still.

So, I am not sure how things will go from here. I don't know how deeply I will "purge" my things or how quickly. I know I want to reduce them, but there is so much I am overwhelmed.

As a start, I have stuff for sale on my Ebay (link on sig) and I am willing to post anywhere and do bulk discounts if people buy several things (I always combine shipping). But I think I will seriously need to take some time to go through my things and think what I want to keep or not...

Anyone gone through the same here? Anyone changed their lives completely like this? Any advice or thoughts? I value any opinion.

Also, sorry if this in the wrong place xD feel free to move it if that's the case !

And thank you for taking the time to read this.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Minimalism
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
I think there is a balance. I love the thought of minimalism, but I do like "stuff" too. All of my silly things now fit in my closet, WITH my clothes. They are displayed nicely -- not jammed in.

I'm in the process of deciding what kind of display system will work in my home-- so that's why they are in the closet. I want something that looks sleek and is multi functional.

My tip to reducing is to take your time. (It's overwhelming HOWEVER, you didn't just buy all those things overnight). Look at everything as a whole -- and choose 2-5 items you like the least. Start there. When those sell, look for the next 2-5 items you like the least -- and repeat. It's not as shocking and emotionally easier process.

I personally still like buying things too. I /really/ think about what I want beforehand now-- and try to not make purchases on a whim. And if I do buy something -- I also get rid of something too. :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:20:28 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
I think there is a balance. I love the thought of minimalism, but I do like "stuff" too. All of my silly things now fit in my closet, WITH my clothes. They are displayed nicely -- not jammed in.

I'm in the process of deciding what kind of display system will work in my home-- so that's why they are in the closet. I want something that looks sleek and is multi functional.

My tip to reducing is to take your time. (It's overwhelming HOWEVER, you didn't just buy all those things overnight). Look at everything as a whole -- and choose 2-5 items you like the least. Start there. When those sell, look for the next 2-5 items you like the least -- and repeat. It's not as shocking and emotionally easier process.

I personally still like buying things too. I /really/ think about what I want beforehand now-- and try to not make purchases on a whim. And if I do buy something -- I also get rid of something too. :)

Yes, I think I will start slow and get rid of things slowly. I like "stuff" too, but I have been trying to not buy things on a whim and really think it through beforehand. I like the idea of getting rid of something when you buy something new - I might just do that ! I will have to start with my clothes - the more I think about it, the more I realise there are things I own that I haven't worn in 6-7 years or so. No point keeping those lol.

And then... I really enjoy selling things to others, specially to collectors. The fact that what I don't necessarily need will bring joy to someone else makes me very happy.

I also enjoy taking pictures of what I own, so I think even if I get rid if it, the fact that I can still see it in a picture makes it less of a "loss". I found this out the other day when I was thinking of what ponies I would like to have. And you know what? There really isn't a lot that I would actually like to physically have. I am quite happy just having either the stock pictures or someone else's picture on my pc, so I can look whenever I want. It gives me a sense of ownership somehow, if that makes sense?

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
I agree. I believe that one should and can be content with the necessities of life- food clothing, shelter- and have earnestly tried to live a minimalist life, starting with cleaning out my closet of clothes that I don't need/ wear and trying to put my ponies out of sight into storage, but it's REALLY difficult. ): I just like stuff, also, I like spending hours in thrift stores, tying on (and buying) clothes I don't need, pony merch that I said I wouldn't collect anymore. it's tough....
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 10:59:13 AM »
I agree. I believe that one should and can be content with the necessities of life- food clothing, shelter- and have earnestly tried to live a minimalist life, starting with cleaning out my closet of clothes that I don't need/ wear and trying to put my ponies out of sight into storage, but it's REALLY difficult. ):

Yes !! It will be quite a challenge xD I have a few plushies in storage right now that I bet I will sell about half of when I look at them again. I don't think most of them actually mean much to me in the end, but I am quite curious as to how it will go.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
I agree. I believe that one should and can be content with the necessities of life- food clothing, shelter- and have earnestly tried to live a minimalist life, starting with cleaning out my closet of clothes that I don't need/ wear and trying to put my ponies out of sight into storage, but it's REALLY difficult. ): I just like stuff, also, I like spending hours in thrift stores, tying on (and buying) clothes I don't need, pony merch that I said I wouldn't collect anymore. it's tough....
:heart: A lot of minimalism theories say you can keep items that truly make you happy. You'll find your happy medium. It's tough, but take your time.

The whole putting stuff away doesn't help me one bit. I open it back up and get all emotional.

That's why it's easier for me to just take my time -- evaluate -- and get rid of things in small chunks. Even if I got rid of 1 thing every 2 weeks.. it's /still/ something. And at that pace, I just don't regret it. 1 piece doesn't make me feel like I'm missing something.

I love going to the thrift store too. Going there has gotten me some fantastic mid century pieces... and some awesome ponies for cheap. :) Just because I go, doesn't mean I buy, and I LOOOVE to look.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:27:59 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »
I think it's a balance of moderation and what keeps you happy and healthy.

No you shouldn't be spending bill money on ponies but yes if they actually make you feel good then it is okay to have a large collection.
If you are getting stressed about dusting and brushing them all, then maybe you should scale back a bit. 

It's all about how YOU feel.  Some people here could be happy with 2 ponies, some couldn't be happy until they had a complete US collection.

Personally I have kept my childhood herd, my absolute favorites and any ponies that were special gifts.  The ponies I find secondhand, I clean them and appreciate them, but after a few months they always end up in my sales/trade bin.  The massive G1 collection I had... I sold it or donated it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:41:00 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline cookifaa

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »
I love the idea of minimalism, but I'm too much of a clutter lover! (And I buy way too much stuff)

I'm also not too good at getting rid of things, I always end up feeling bad because someone bought me the thing I want to sell on, but that's just my anxiety... >_<

I agree with banditpony though, start small, with the things you really don't like and then work your way from there. If you really regret selling something, there's nothing to say you couldn't buy another!

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 06:30:16 PM »
I think about minimalism often, especially as an apartment dweller I know how much space matters. This is certainly at odds with my collection goals  :blush: but I've put myself through a few mental exercises - If I could only have TEN ponies, which ones would I want? If I could only have 25 ponies, what would I add to the list? When I got to about my top 75, I could see my own preferences and priorities much more clearly. That clarity of vision has made it easier for me to focus on collecting only the items that are truly important to me instead of indulging idle curiosity or a good deal on eBay. Also made it easy to part with some ponies I didn't need to keep.
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »
Oh yes I LOVE this topic!!!! I am a minimalist but I also collect. Being a minimalist does not mean that you live with nothing in your life. You live with what you think is beautiful, makes you happy and that you use!

When my collection gets over whelming then I got threw them and list five or more ponies for sale. I seem to go threw phases of buying like crazy and then selling like crazy. I wish I could find a happy medium. I have slowed down on my pony collection right now. And have gotten back into Breyer Horses.  I was bad a bought 9 NIB ones for $80! Yes that is a pretty good deal but at the same time I feel bad that I spent that money and bought that many! I told myself that I want a collection that I only love the ones that I have. But I have a few that I can live without that I just bought. So I am not sure what I want to do.

I have my collection all out right now, ponies and Breyers. I have been thinking about putting away my ponies for a while and only having the Breyers out right now. With them all out I get over whelmed again! :(

Other then my collections the rest of the house is very minimal! We went on vacation and when we came home the house felt very big open and empty! What is funny is the house is only 685 square feet.  Most people say that motel rooms feel clean and simple. But they feel full and cluttered to how our house is! I live a open clean and simple home!

Like others have said take it slow! Don't goes threw it fast!

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »
I started in my laundry room where I keep cleaning supplies.  I had like 25 rags that I cut up from old shirts.  25!  How much cleaning must one do to need 25 rags?!  Ridiculous!  I have 5 rags, now!  That got the ball rolling!

I think you can get so used to something that you don’t “see” it, anymore.  I’ve really been trying to see my space.  I’ve gone through my entire house twice in the last 3 years with the goal of reducing by 25% each time.  Plan on doing it again this winter.  I’m much more aware of what I use and what I don’t.  I don’t just leave it because it’s always been there!

I dislike things under the beds and all the drawers completely stuffed.  It bugs me even though you can’t see it.  I would LOVE to simplify my wardrobe down.

Ponies are about the only thing that keeps coming in.  Incidentally, I have lots of MIB G3 play sets if anyone is interested! 😉

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 11:50:12 PM »
Oh, I love the idea of minimalism, and we're just starting the process of scaling things down a bit. I hate clutter, so much, and right now everything is a mess.
I agree with the philosophy of having things you use & make you happy. With that in mind it's a lot easier to know where to start decluttering. I've queued up for getting Marie Kondo's book from the library, too, I think that'll be a good read on the subject ^^ (then again, our current house is small and the layout is weird, so it's hard to store things in a smart way. Art supplies and sewing projects tend to end up everywhere because they're used so much by both of us, and have no proper storage... I want a studio so I can get it out of out living space >-<)

But that doesn't include my collection, or our collection of nendoroids and figurines, or our house plants, because they truly bring me joy. What I want for that though is matching shelves, and to keep them very neatly organized. That way, for me, it's more like looking at a painting than a collection of clutter. I'm trying to not get more 'stuff' coming in, but collection items are an exception :)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 02:58:21 PM »
I am quite happy that a lot of you understand me xD Thank you ! Yes, I have plans to start with my closet and have a good hard look at my clothes and other home items that I don't use or need. And I have a good sleep on the subject and the more I think about what I have, the more I realise it all makes me happy and makes my home... well, my home. I know I will reduce a bit, but I am quite satisfied with most. Sometimes, all you need is sleep on it and you will then have a clearer view :)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 01:09:30 AM »
Hi Sonata,

Yes, I do understand where you are coming from. I have been slowly going through this process for about a year now: we have too much clutter in our house and I hate it. What doesn't help is my Step-Dad stopping by to drop off the puzzles that used to belong to my mom. This is something we did together and that we both loved. So getting rid of that type of sentimental thing is hard for me. Also my mom-in-law who brings along a treasured tea set that she wanted us to have. That IS lovely, however I already have two very large and excellent quality tea sets that used to belong to my Grandmothers. Now what?

Regarding the ponies: when I first started collecting I would buy almost any pony as long as it was MLP. Now I find that I prefer sticking to my wish list and really considering whether I do want that pony before purchasing. I have a problem letting ponies go out of my house, even if they are not my favourite, but I have managed to give several away including one to someone who always wanted a MLP as a child but never got one.

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 04:02:09 AM »
Hi Sonata,

Yes, I do understand where you are coming from. I have been slowly going through this process for about a year now: we have too much clutter in our house and I hate it. What doesn't help is my Step-Dad stopping by to drop off the puzzles that used to belong to my mom. This is something we did together and that we both loved. So getting rid of that type of sentimental thing is hard for me. Also my mom-in-law who brings along a treasured tea set that she wanted us to have. That IS lovely, however I already have two very large and excellent quality tea sets that used to belong to my Grandmothers. Now what?

Oh lawks! The family tea-sets! - you are not alone - we have the same dilemma here.
It's taken us years to get to the decision, and this may be so so wrong for other individuals/families - we have now decided to donate the spare sets to a charity close to all our hearts. They have a couple of volunteers who have the skills to sell the porcelain into a collectors market. Everyone is pretty happy with the outcome, but it was very hard to make.

Sonata
I think you are wise to take your time - and to start with clothes, especially those that have little sentimental value - the decision is clearer; 'does this fit/suit my lifestyle/etc etc'.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal