collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Second attempt at a Fancy Swirl (WIP) and galaxy pony  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Second attempt at a Fancy Swirl (WIP) and galaxy pony
« on: July 21, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »
I wound up trying to customize my Kid Kore fakie into a Fancy Swirl (with some artistic interpretations) with what I had on hand- two colors of Acrylic paint and a some glittery nail polish and topcoat ;_;  (yeah, ghetto, i know). Her fancy swirl came out looking more like a tribal tattoo, but I like the way she looks now that that Pepto Bismol pink that she was before.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

edit- July 22, 2018
gonna slip my new custom OC, Fable Scape, in here, to prevent thread spam. Quite a few people here seemed to like him from http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,392364.0.html this thread, and I was annoyed that I didn't have my own custom of him, since its been a few years since his creation, so I made myself one out of a g4 Applejack blind bag figure! His tail and cutie mark aren't done yet, but he's already coming out quite adorable. <3

edit- August 1, 2018
I transformed my Kid Kore fakie into a galaxy pony, since I wasn't happy with the poor attempt at a Fancy Swirl design. And I'm in the process of customizing a double of g3 Wisteria that I had into a fancier Fancy Swirl instead.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:28:59 PM by nightmare muffin »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: My poor attempt at a Fancy Swirl Pony custom
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »
She's cute. What's her name?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »
Nail polish?  Oh dear... make sure you keep her far far far away from your other ponies!  :(
In a few months/years, she'll go all sticky and the nail polish will start to slide off her and discolour the plastic underneath.  NOT a recommended product for customizing!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MidnightRarity

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • G4 Collector!
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Rarity YT
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:43:10 PM »
It looks great!

Just a tip, try watering down your acrylic paint a bit for a smoother texture!  Other than that, it look so happy and cool!

^.^
Hello! :D

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 06:47:38 PM »
She's cute. What's her name?
it was supposed to be Mistyglow.....

Post Merge: July 21, 2018, 06:50:08 PM

Nail polish?  Oh dear... make sure you keep her far far far away from your other ponies!  :(
In a few months/years, she'll go all sticky and the nail polish will start to slide off her and discolour the plastic underneath.  NOT a recommended product for customizing!
I had no idea. It was my first custom. I'm glad I used it on a fakie, though. And don't worry- the fakies don't hang out by my Hasbro girls. They're off on their own.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:50:08 PM by nightmare muffin »

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
Yeah, nail polish is a no-no. She looks very nice right now though :D I love her colors!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 09:16:02 PM »
Yeah, nail polish is a no-no. She looks very nice right now though :D I love her colors!
I added around 3 base layers of acrylic before I put the polish on. Will it still seep through and touch her base plastic?

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 07:44:36 AM »
I added around 3 base layers of acrylic before I put the polish on. Will it still seep through and touch her base plastic?
Well, the nail polish is not going to do well even if it doesn't touch the plastic. It simply isn't meant for long term wear, so even if the acrylic protects the plastic it will still get goopy and gross. I don't know if it will still discolor the plastic though...

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 07:57:28 AM »
Nail polish is NOT a stable paint by any means, so it is rather unpredictable what it WILL do.   Though many examples exist from years of customizers discovering that the things it does are Very Bad in the long term.

remember it's a chemical that is supposed to be replaced every few weeks ;)  definitely NOT something you want to put in a piece of art! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »
Well, the nail polish is not going to do well even if it doesn't touch the plastic. It simply isn't meant for long term wear, so even if the acrylic protects the plastic it will still get goopy and gross. I don't know if it will still discolor the plastic though...
hm. Learn something new everyday. On the bright side, when it does, then I can clean her up and try to do a batter "fancy swirl " design

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Congratulations! Fakies are great for learning on and I like your design.

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
Aws, Pretty! Congrats on dipping your toes in!

Trial and error is the name of the game when it comes to customs. Don't feel bad if something doesn't work out! It's a learning experience every step of the way.

You still have the choice to keep her as-is (because it's your first! You can get doll keepsake domes or display cube for it), or strip the paint do a re-do. If you strip it just make sure you take a bunch of pics so you can document your own progress and remissness down the line. Practice and experience will shine through  :3

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Hey, your first custom looks good! While nail polish is not ideal, it may be a fun experiment to see how the pony keeps. Make it a part of the learning process. :)

Fable Scape is also coming along nicely! Blind bags are tiny and you did a great job on the details. 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Hey, your first custom looks good! While nail polish is not ideal, it may be a fun experiment to see how the pony keeps. Make it a part of the learning process. :)

Fable Scape is also coming along nicely! Blind bags are tiny and you did a great job on the details.
thanks for the tip!  It was a bad case scenario when I decided to use polish. A mix of boredom and desperation to alleviate it made me just go for whatever I had on hand. I recently got new acrylic paints, so not to worry. 

Thanks! Trying to figure out his dreads was the hardest part, along with his sweater.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal