collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot!! I’m scared!!  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot!! I’m scared!!
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:27:32 PM »
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/buffy-vampire-slayer-reboot-inclusive-take-joss-whedon-works-1128888

Any Buffy fans here? How do we feel about this??

I’m scared. BtVS is my all time favourite show. You can’t improve on perfection. Joss is involved so I’ll give it a watch but still...I’m sceptical. I really hope they don’t ruin it  :drunk:

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot!! I’m scared!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 02:35:10 PM »
I read that on IMDb earlier today! Honestly, I'm gonna keep an open mind here, I've always loved Buffy (though not all seasons were good - the one with the Initiative wasn't my cup of tea), so I'm open to see a re'vamp'.

But is super early though, there is no script, only some vague ideas.

I kind of don't want Whedon on board; he may have created the first Buffy, but it would seem that he lost his magic over time when it comes to handling female characters. There have been a lot of minor scandals.

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »
I, too, loved Buffy and I hope they do good with it. With Joss involved there is hope but I think it depends on what they do with it.  I think on my love of Star Trek; when they create a new series with new characters, etc, it works.  Now, the new movies messing around with my beloved Kirk are a different kettle of fish. I like the visuals etc but I hate when they try to redo story lines differently.  I've been known to yell at the screen. :blush:

Here's hoping it not just a redo of the old show but more like the reboot of Dr Who.
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
This has been debated all over my friends FB pages lately. I grew up watching Buffy and even enjoy the original movie. I’m just tired of things being remade instead of something new. I won’t be watching it.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »
Noooooooooooooo.  It is epic  the way it is.  Don't reboot it!!!

I'm not a massive  fan of Joss Whedan.  Yes he created some great stories and characters, but then he took that quirky originality and just started doing what the producers told him to do so he could make more money. 

Firefly?  AWESOME until it was cancelled due to offensive content and "lack of network interest".  Serendipity was interesting but it really lacked the grit that made Firefly special.

Buffy was great until it went ON and ON and ON and ON and then it still wasn't done and there was Angel and Buffy and it STILL wasn't over.  I liked the original movie best.  :D 

The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 06:32:59 PM »
I feel kind of...indifferent. 

I don't know.  I like Buffy and all, but I didn't watch it during its original run because a) Sarah Michelle Gellar was known to me as the antagonist of Swan's Crossing to begin with, and b) I had seen Buffy in theaters because my friends at the time were in the throes of Luke Perry Fever.  So for me the Buffy series was always the reboot.

The only reason I watched it in the first place is because someone told me that Joss based Buffy off my long-time favorite comic book character Kitty Pryde.

It could be good, it could be wretched.  Only time will tell.

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 08:18:43 PM »
My husband is livid.  I'm not far behind.  We're both huge Buffy fans and this just seems silly.

Why can't they create a new show set in the same universe?  Pull stuff from the comics?  At the end of the show/beginning of the comics, there were thousands of slayers stationed all over the world...can't the character of the new show be one of those? 

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 12:11:48 AM »
I am really hoping that that just create a new story within the universe, and don’t actually call a character Buffy and just re-tell the same story in a modern way. But I’m not sure how they would carry on the universe seeing how they unlocked all of the potential slayers at the end and Sunnyvale slid into a hole anyway...

Part of Buffy’s original charm was its 90’s cheesiness and the fact that it was so groundbreaking to have a strong female superhero lead. That stuff isn’t really new any more. So I’m not sure how they’re going to make the new series original and relevant is they do a remake and not a new story.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 06:29:51 AM »
My roommate loves Buffy, and to a lesser extent Angel, and we ended up marathoning both of them.

Unpopular opinion:  I don't think either show is very good.  The character motivations change abruptly, very few plot / character arcs end in a satisfying way (they just kind of meander to an end), and all the protagonists feel very 'flat' to me.  It was hard to care about any of them.

Buffy is physically strong, but aside from that she feels like standard author's-fantasy-girlfriend to me, not a well-thought out character.  She spends so much time dealing with contrived relationship issues, mooning after one guy or another while being lectured by author-insert Xander, who is simply The Worst.

Joss Whedon being involved will make it very uncomfortable as he spent decades setting himself up as Your Heroic Male Feminist Ally when, as it turns out, he was cheating on his wife and pressuring young actresses into having sex with him.

"When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. In many ways I was the HEIGHT of normal, in this culture. We’re taught to be providers and companions and at the same time, to conquer and acquire — specifically sexually — and I was pulling off both!"

Wow!  What a creep.  I know a lot of people cheat, but to me what makes this worse than 'average' is that it has a tone of "listen, I just couldn't help it.  Society MADE ME cheat!  And those needy women!  Not my fault!"

Edit:  My feeling of "these series are unsatisfying" predates the whole "Whedon cheated" revelation, so my opinion was not influenced by that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:00:05 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 10:10:56 AM »
I grew up with Buffy and as a young gay woman it came along at a pivotal moment in my life. I think Joss Whedon’s universe that he created in Buffy was empowering for a lot of young women. What he does in his private life is no business of mine and doesn’t take away anything from the show I love.

Maybe you had to have watched it in your teens to appreciate it - I rewatch it all the time as an adult and love it no less!! I think everyone can identify with one of the characters at one point or other in their story and I think it’s great that young people had such strong role models and stories growing up.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
I loved Buffy. I watched every episode (except for the last season), recorded many of them on VHS, had 2 Buffy posters, the whole set of Buffy trading cards, multiple action figures, etc....

If the show is rebooted, I won't be watching. I've seen other great shows (Dynasty, Garfield) and movies (Halloween) get rebooted and I have yet to see a single reboot that I find enjoyable. I'm tired of seeing recycled ideas from those who lack innovation and creativity and instead try to ride someone else's coattails of fame by resurrecting a beloved creation only to do a hack-job with it.

Some may say well Buffy was adapted from a movie. Well yes, but that's a change in story format. A rebooted series would be plugging the same characters (or at least main character) into a format that's already been done.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 10:00:30 PM »
I rewatched the show on Netflix a couple of months ago and I remember thinking a lot that this would've been an easy fix if they had had cellphones and could call each other. Considering how much time they spend looking for each other every episode could easy be cut in half. Then I thought there would'nt be a good show if it ended with "hey, wheres Xander" ringring "you guys I'm in this weird cave I fell into, can you come and get me?" there would'nt be much hang in the library as they could call Giles everytime they needed info.. And you know, imagine a reboot with smartphones? Why need Giles at all when all info is a click away? An app with UV light? No. I liked the old 90's charm. Why can't they come up with something new instead fo keep redoing old stuff?!

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 12:28:51 AM »
I have smalllll hopes. Small.

1. If they expanded 'Tales of the Slayers' to the big screen that would be AWESOME.
2. Joss expands on the world he has created in the comics. Not Fray. But some of the Slayers that he has created worlds for.

I've heard some suggestions of expanding Principal Wood's mother, but that has been really carefully explored in the comics.

I have faith in Joss. But I'm over the reboots too!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 10:34:10 AM »
I'm kind of excited.  I love Buffy, Angel and Firefly.  But I really hope the "new" Buffy is significantly different from the original so it feels like a new show with different and interesting characters.  I wouldn't want it to feel like a copy.  If they're living in Sunnydale, doing the same things, falling in love with "Angel", I wouldn't be happy.

Honestly, I think it would be more interesting if they lived somewhere other than California.  Maybe somewhere with poor mobile reception. :)
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
I rewatched the show on Netflix a couple of months ago and I remember thinking a lot that this would've been an easy fix if they had had cellphones and could call each other. Considering how much time they spend looking for each other every episode could easy be cut in half. Then I thought there would'nt be a good show if it ended with "hey, wheres Xander" ringring "you guys I'm in this weird cave I fell into, can you come and get me?" there would'nt be much hang in the library as they could call Giles everytime they needed info.. And you know, imagine a reboot with smartphones? Why need Giles at all when all info is a click away? An app with UV light? No. I liked the old 90's charm. Why can't they come up with something new instead fo keep redoing old stuff?!

*lol* You're so right! So much of the stuff just wouldn't work anymore in a modern remake. But unlike many other shows, "Buffy" is still enjoyable to watch. A while back, I tried to watch a few episodes of "Quincy, M.E.", and it was so horribly racist and sexist I couldn't bear it. "Buffy" has aged well, I think. I don't really get the idea of a remake, but I'll reserve judgement until more details are known.

And remember, it could always be worse. It could be a remake of "Angel". :P Sorry, but those last few seasons were painful to watch.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal