collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any room for Flutterponies in g4?  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Any room for Flutterponies in g4?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »
I agree western shows shouldn't try and put anime into kids programs, can you imagine a kids program with a Titan in?
just becaus there is going to have a Japanise mythological creature in t doesn't make it "anime". They've been borrowing cultural mythology since episode 1.
 Technically, FiM is already "anime", just by being an animation.

Technically not. In Japanese, anime is an abbreviation for the word that means cartoon, but in English, anime has a specific meaning as a type of cartoon. Like in Japanese, comics refers to specifically manga, even though manga refers to comic strips of various kinds. Just to confuse the world I guess?

I don't really think FIM is trying to be an anime. It's just a general annoyance of mine that because Japanese stuff is so popular, shows try to shove it in and ride the cool bandwagon. It happened some years ago with everyone saying stuff was kawaii and it drove me nuts then as well.

Japanese mythology and history is awesome, detailed and amazing. But not generally when it's appropriated into western kids' shows.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 01:24:49 PM »
I thought the glimmer wings were closer to the wingers myself.

*imagines taffeta seeing a fly land on her fresh made lunch, and grabs Starflite.* I warned you! *smash*
XD I'd feel sorry for the pony.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »
I don't see a problem with Kinins, they are not really 100% Japanese lore.. they are more of a creature from the Asian region (well Chinese and other East Asian cultures). They likely originated from China as the Qilin and the others created their own variations (Other Qilins, Girins, and Kirins), but knowing Hasbro they will go with the more popular design of them.

BTW, I don't think they should have ever added Wendigos to the world of MLP if we are to go with lore that should not be in a Western Kids show ;)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »
I kinda hope they don’t bring in Flutter ponies.  There’s already way more than enough diversity in this particular series.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 02:22:51 PM »
I don't see a problem with Kinins, they are not really 100% Japanese lore.. they are more of a creature from the Asian region (well Chinese and other East Asian cultures). They likely originated from China as the Qilin and the others created their own variations (Other Qilins, Girins, and Kirins), but knowing Hasbro they will go with the more popular design of them.

BTW, I don't think they should have ever added Wendigos to the world of MLP if we are to go with lore that should not be in a Western Kids show ;)

No, they are originally from China I think. In my original post I did say Asia, but we were talking about anime so I got to mentioning Japan specifically. Sorry for being obtuse. I know the words best in the Japanese reading, I don't speak Chinese, but I'm pretty sure it's probably still from 麒麟, as opposed to キリン, which is giraffe >.>. Originally I was going to say something about Miraculous and the akuma, but apparently I took it out before I posted, so that's why it got confused to being about specifically Japanese stuff.

I am quite fond of Miraculous and think it's cute, but the random use of the term akuma, the connection to the butterflies (and the horrible pronunciation) kind of bugs me every time since the word akuma signifies a pretty hard core evil demon, and spirit butterflies are meant to represent the souls of the dead in Japan, not demons. (and in this instance it is a Japanese word, although the Miraculous concept itself is apparently connected to China...).

In any case my problem isn't with them being included.  It's the token and superficial attention to the concept because at the moment it seems fashionable...

So yeah. It's not the inclusion, but the manner of it. And I am really not a fan of "lets gather all the random mythical beasts of the world into one animated series because we can!"
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:28:18 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »

No, they are originally from China I think. In my original post I did say Asia, but we were talking about anime so I got to mentioning Japan specifically. Sorry for being obtuse. I know the words best in the Japanese reading, I don't speak Chinese, but I'm pretty sure it's probably still from 麒麟, as opposed to キリン, which is giraffe >.>. Originally I was going to say something about Miraculous and the akuma, but apparently I took it out before I posted, so that's why it got confused to being about specifically Japanese stuff.

I am quite fond of Miraculous and think it's cute, but the random use of the term akuma, the connection to the butterflies (and the horrible pronunciation) kind of bugs me every time since the word akuma signifies a pretty hard core evil demon, and spirit butterflies are meant to represent the souls of the dead in Japan, not demons. (and in this instance it is a Japanese word, although the Miraculous concept itself is apparently connected to China...).

In any case my problem isn't with them being included.  It's the token and superficial attention to the concept because at the moment it seems fashionable...

So yeah. It's not the inclusion, but the manner of it. And I am really not a fan of "lets gather all the random mythical beasts of the world into one animated series because we can!"
Well now I know where Miraculous and Akuma come from, only time I've heard those was with Ladybug and Cat Noir xD

But yeah they are going a bit overboard. I don't mind it being a one shot deal but it gets hard to keep up with all the cluster of races getting added.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 11:30:16 PM »
Well, Miraculous is obviously an English word, but the record player/box thing that the guardian guy has has the characters for miracle written on it in kanji (奇跡). I have no idea where the idea for that came from, but the animation is trying to link it to China. In Japanese that word is read as kiseki, but I am guessing, as he's Chinese, that it's meant to be the Chinese reading, whatever that is.

Going back to flutters (xD) and pony diversity.

There's also the whole school thing as well. So the ponies are teaching other species how to be friends with each other, is that about the size of it? Because it reminds me of that horrible episode I did see some of with the Gryffins...the one where Pinkie Pie and Dash manage to lose/destroy their sacred treasure, lecture them on how they ought to be friends and how friendship is a greater treasure...

Kind of gave the wrong message in my view - not the idea of spreading friendship, but the way in which the ponies just went, oh well, your treasure's gone, but friendship is better so who cares.

Now the school where all these creatures need to be taught about friendship. Because they can't do it themselves...?

I dunno. It just feels all wrong to me.

Diversity of pony species was also a nice thing, I do agree with that. But I'm going to stick with my belief that the real reason we won't see flutter ponies is because Hasbro long since wrote them off as toys. Let's not forget that, at one point, a flutter house or something was planned...but got pulled. Clearly there was some kind of hesitation with flutters, probably the delicate wings. I don't think Hasbro will go there again. Glimmer wings is probably as close as g4 will go.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 08:31:10 AM »
Well, Miraculous is obviously an English word, but the record player/box thing that the guardian guy has has the characters for miracle written on it in kanji (奇跡). I have no idea where the idea for that came from, but the animation is trying to link it to China. In Japanese that word is read as kiseki, but I am guessing, as he's Chinese, that it's meant to be the Chinese reading, whatever that is.

There's also the whole school thing as well. So the ponies are teaching other species how to be friends with each other, is that about the size of it? Because it reminds me of that horrible episode I did see some of with the Gryffins...the one where Pinkie Pie and Dash manage to lose/destroy their sacred treasure, lecture them on how they ought to be friends and how friendship is a greater treasure...

Kind of gave the wrong message in my view - not the idea of spreading friendship, but the way in which the ponies just went, oh well, your treasure's gone, but friendship is better so who cares.

Now the school where all these creatures need to be taught about friendship. Because they can't do it themselves...?

Diversity of pony species was also a nice thing, I do agree with that. But I'm going to stick with my belief that the real reason we won't see flutter ponies is because Hasbro long since wrote them off as toys. Let's not forget that, at one point, a flutter house or something was planned...but got pulled. Clearly there was some kind of hesitation with flutters, probably the delicate wings. I don't think Hasbro will go there again. Glimmer wings is probably as close as g4 will go.

I hate the supposed superiority of ponies in fim. As if no other species can get along.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 09:23:30 AM »

I hate the supposed superiority of ponies in fim. As if no other species can get along.
I agree, that is rather grating. It started with Zecora and is still going on up to season 8, with the "superior species must teach ignorant species of the world about friendship!" And the fact that the species have to come to the ponies, to do so, on top of it. In a learning institution, no less.  Didn't Twilight learn from teaching Starlight that "that wasn't the way Celestia taught her"?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »
I was going to say the same thing about the friendship school. Why do the other creatures have to come to school to learn about being friends with different species? And most of the students are going because their parents/guardians told them to. I can kind of understand the Changelings since Queen Chrysalis was forcing them to be mean and only care about stealing love to survive and the hippogriffs since Queen Novo kept them hidden but are we really supposed to believe that only ponies know how to make friendship work and all other creatures know nothing?

I have never been able to get in to the Glimmer Wings They're wings seem way too big for the pony (like Starflight and Heart Bright. )

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 10:03:05 AM »

I have never been able to get in to the Glimmer Wings They're wings seem way too big for the pony (like Starflight and Heart Bright. )

I don't have any Glimmer Wings, but they also seem like they wouldn't be as effective as fly swats. My Heart Bright is much better in this department...

As for the superiority of species, I think it reflects modern politics and the desire to force every nation to become a democracy. Which is somewhat ironic when you think it over.

It's a good point about the school as well. Twilight learning about friendship is fine, that works in theory...but a friendship school sounds like a brainwashing device to me.

I really dislike the modern trend in kids' shows to force friendship down people's throats. Don't get me wrong, friendship is important. If you have a good loyal bond with someone it's the most valuable and precious thing you have. BUT for me there's something really wrong with the way the message is being conveyed and the school just makes it worse. They're also trying to spin off the end of Monster High and that school (which before the reboot was mostly working at the whole lets be friends without forcing let's be friends down anyone's throat) I think, but it's unfortunate.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 10:23:17 AM »
Well at least Hasbro is still consistent, on being hamfisted and cluelessly unsubtle in their morals. I suppose that ought to count for something.  :huh:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:25:33 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2018, 04:12:50 AM »
I don't see the problem to add an asian mythological creature in a "western" series. They've already added creatures from Greek and Babylonian mythology since season one. (Manticore, Chimera, Cockatrix,...)
Also, the season three(?) finale ("Twilight's Kingdom", Tirek, yadi yada) uses obvious anime tropes and that was the point. (Dragon Ball)
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 07:39:45 AM »
They already have actually. Despite what the writers of  Hasbroken might think, Discord is a VERY warped version of an Asian Dragon. Its a shame they turned him into a complete loon.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:57:04 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
They already have actually. Despite what the writers of  Hasbroken might think, Discord is a VERY warped version of an Asian Dragon. Its a shame they turned him into a complete loon.

I think he's actually a Ryuuma (or however you read that in Chinese xD). (A Dragon Horse). Though as you say it's a warped presentation.

I'm going to reiterate but it's not the inclusion but the manner of it that I have problems with...

On another slightly incredulous note, does MLP seriously reference Dragonball? If so, it kind of underscores my point more about trying to fly with what is 'cool'.

The idea of DB references in MLP actually makes me shudder. Just when I thought FIM couldn't scrape the barrel any further...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:44:47 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal