collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any room for Flutterponies in g4?  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Any room for Flutterponies in g4?
« on: July 20, 2018, 06:49:32 PM »
We've had a number of g1 throwbacks and references in g4- "General Firefly" being mentioned in "Testing, Testing, 1,2,3", "Gusty the Great" being mentioned in "A Flurry of Emotions", Seaponies being given prominence in the MLP (g4) Movie, The Smooze having an appearance in "Make New Friends But Keep Discord", Tirek being given an appearance in "Twilight's Kingdom Part 1 & 2" and leaked for an appearance in season 9, along with Grogar.

Well, what about Flutterponies? I've been dying for these adorable fairy ponies to hit the small screen for a while now, but if the season 9 leaks are to be believed, then I fear that they won't have a place for them if the villains aren't solid matter, like Arabus and the Smooze. ): I would think that little kids would've taken more of a liking to fairy ponies over mermaid ponies, but that's just me....
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Any room for Flutterponies in g4?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 06:53:19 PM »
Hasbro or the story creators probably thought that the Breezes were enough of a call back to Flutter Ponies... despite being basically two different pony species.

Which is sad really
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:05:39 PM »
Most likely not, there's not really a need for them. Especially since we have Breezies which are similar enough in concept.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »
Seriously doubting they'd be included due to the perceived ending of the series soon.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 07:28:47 PM »
Hasbro or the story creators probably thought that the Breezes were enough of a call back to Flutter Ponies... despite being basically two different pony species.

Which is sad really
ahahaha, you're kidding, right? Those little fleas that couldn't even fight against a passing breeze you're comparing to the most op ponies who don't even need the rainbow of light to steamroll a villain? Really? (and if Hasbro thinks that, too, then they're crazy). There's NO comparison and it's pretty much an insult to even imply g4 Breezies resemble anything about the Flutterponies. Completely different species....as you said.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 10:02:47 PM »
Eh, Id rather they come back in gen 5. Especially if they're going with that art style. Not worth it to bother when it's lumbering towards its end.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »
The focus has been shifted to Twilight's school. If ever there was a space to introduce a new pony race, it would have been during the Explore Equestria theme.

But would there even be a purpose to having flutters in G4? In G1, their presence was justified by their unique massive utter flutter power. In G4, Twilight and the elements of harmony are equally (if not more) powerful compared to flutter ponies.

And I don't think the creators had flutters in mind when they made the breezies. They're another heritage from G3 - Hasbro's idea for a recycled G3 theme that was pushed onto the show runners for publicity.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 10:22:20 PM »
Isn’t like to see flutter ponies, but I think the big guys at hasbro made the breezies and figured “Eh, good enough.”. It sells adorable little pony fairy toys. That’s all they were made for and to give fluttershy a rainbow key item thing.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 12:36:52 AM »
The focus has been shifted to Twilight's school. If ever there was a space to introduce a new pony race, it would have been during the Explore Equestria theme.

But would there even be a purpose to having flutters in G4? In G1, their presence was justified by their unique massive utter flutter power. In G4, Twilight and the elements of harmony are equally (if not more) powerful compared to flutter ponies.

And I don't think the creators had flutters in mind when they made the breezies. They're another heritage from G3 - Hasbro's idea for a recycled G3 theme that was pushed onto the show runners for publicity.
well, they're introducing Kirins in this season, sooooo.....

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 03:05:31 AM »

Which is sad really
ahahaha, you're kidding, right? Those little fleas that couldn't even fight against a passing breeze you're comparing to the most op ponies who don't even need the rainbow of light to steamroll a villain? Really? (and if Hasbro thinks that, too, then they're crazy). There's NO comparison and it's pretty much an insult to even imply g4 Breezies resemble anything about the Flutterponies. Completely different species....as you said.

This argument is entirely based on plotlines, but Hasbro cares about plastic and money.

The flutter ponies were notoriously delicate and broke really easily. If we forget our personal perceptions of these as fans and collectors, then you start to see the Hasbro viewpoint on these toys. Flutters were beautiful but delicate and thus they got replaced by wingers, which were more durable. Wingers are NOT flutter ponies, but they do fit in the broader toy producer's tickbox list of "smaller ponies with fairyish wings". Wingers do not break as easily, but can still break. G2 tried clip on wings. That's just wrong on all levels, thankfully G3 didn't follow that pattern. G3 experimented with lots of different wing features - wings that are basically fly swatting devices (Heart Bright, Star Flight) - they're probably closest to flutter in function but not in size. Fancy wings like Starcatcher but she seems more of a one off. And then of course, the smaller breezies with fabric wings.

Some of these have also appeared in G4 with the fancy fabric wings Twilight and Cadence toys, and also the Glimmer Wings sets. And then the Breezie concept has also continued.

What Hasbro seems to have learned since 1986 is to make whatever winged thing they insert durable enough for small hands to play with and not easily break. So I see no chance of anything we might recognise as flutters coming into G4. We've had a lot of ponies with fancy wing options and smaller fairy wing options, but Hasbro are not going to go back to a model that breaks easily. And Hasbro care about toy profits, not about the TV show per se. They care about that if it makes them money and gets kids to buy their toys - so ultimately it all comes down to the product.

For me, flutters are my favourite of all of these experiments with fancy wings. Flutters are also some of the nicest ponies to me displayed MIB with their wings unclouded and intact. But I'm a collector. I'm not a kid. And as a kid, it upset me when Tropical Breeze broke her wings, even though I was super-careful with her. And because she broke, I never had any other ponies with delicate wings as a kid. For Hasbro, that's not a good business model. I don't think flutter ponies will have a place in G4.

I don't understand G4 breezies though. I personally love G3 breezies, but aside the one that came with Fluttsi, don't have any G4 ones and don't really understand what they're trying to achieve with them. They're so tiny they're almost like pets and I know some came out as blind bags. So yeah. I understand what you mean about them being kind of pointless. :/

Going on a second to a slightly different topic, I'm getting a little weary of western kid's shows trying to jump on the asian culture bandwagon because of how popular anime and stuff is at the moment. MLP already kind of did it I think with discord (I'm pretty sure he's a ryuuma?) and now they're bringing in a kirin as well? Sigh.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 03:18:35 AM »

well, they're introducing Kirins in this season, sooooo.....

Oooh, do tell, I haven't kept up with spoilers except for
Spoiler
Grogar's appearance
so I'm curious to hear about these Kirins.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 04:32:43 AM »
I agree western shows shouldn't try and put anime into kids programs, can you imagine a kids program with a Titan in?

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 07:06:59 AM »
I agree western shows shouldn't try and put anime into kids programs, can you imagine a kids program with a Titan in?
just becaus there is going to have a Japanise mythological creature in t doesn't make it "anime". They've been borrowing cultural mythology since episode 1.
 Technically, FiM is already "anime", just by being an animation.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 08:08:55 AM »
Considering the toy line only, they sure loved to put butterfly wings on random characters. So maybe next time?

It would be kinda cool to end that "all powerful unicorn/alicorn" thing and just bring back these pony Elves who don't quite care about the plight of the other MLP :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
I thought the glimmer wings were closer to the wingers myself.

*imagines taffeta seeing a fly land on her fresh made lunch, and grabs Starflite.* I warned you! *smash*
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal