collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What else do you collect? When to sell when youve fallen out of love?  (Read 7408 times)

Offline Kiwichi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Curious...  What else do all you collect?   And most importantly when is the right time to sell your collection when youve fallen out of love?

My collections: MLP, CareBears, SailorMoon, Pullips, video games, random anime stuff

Ive recently fallen out of love with some things in my collections.  I no longer want to hold this stuff anymore and am interested to sell, Im feeling like a hoarder and I just want to declutter...  if it makes any sense  :P   I want to sell to start a new collection (possibly).  Plus, Im a mother now and dont care much for my collections anymore.  Another possibility is to just deposit the money (from selling my collections) into her savings.

On the other hand, since some items have become quite valuable.  My husband says why not hold it a little longer and advises not to sell.  He says, "These things are not bothering you, they are all in storage, youve had some of them for almost 20yrs, what's another 10-20yrs & see if the value increases?  Why start a new collection and have to wait another 20 yrs to see if your new collection is worth anything?"  :blink:

Lol.  Curious... what you all have done?  Are you still holding or have you sold your collections?  If your still holding, how long do you plan to keep your collection?  If you sold it, what was your reason to sell and what did you with your earnings?

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I have done this a couple of times.  When I find that I'm no longer enjoying my collection, that's when I sell it off.  When I got rid of my Beanie Babies, I went through and picked a few pieces that were special to me or that I still really liked and put the rest in a garage sale.  I sold them for a dollar a piece and then near the end of the sale someone made me an offer on what was left and I took it.  Why?  Because otherwise I was either going to have to go through the hassle of another garage sale or I was going to dump them at a local thrift store and get nothing for them. 

When I downsized my Disney collection, I picked the pieces I still really wanted and then posted the lot on the local classifieds.  I set a price on the site but in my head decided on a price I was willing to settle for if someone made an offer.  The first person who offered me a lowball price ($200-way below the asking price of $700) said it was because she was going to need to resell things because she ran a secondhand store.  Honestly, I had so much stuff she could have put a nickel on everything and still made more than $200, so I declined her offer.  The person I ended up selling to was someone who was buying it because their daughter was starting a collection and they were basically buying Christmas and Birthday presents for the next five years (probably more).  They offered me $500 for it AND they said they would come all the way out to my house in the middle of nowhere (we'd just moved and I used the move as motivation to downsize) to pick it up.  We're talking 12 LARGE plastic tote bins of stuff (stuffed animals, happy meal toys, dishes, glass collectibles, even a Song of the South classroom reel with the tapes and everything--some of that stuff was probably worth a hundred bucks on its own) and I didn't want to store it anymore.  They were happy with the purchase, I was happy with the sale, everyone won. 

If you live in an area where a garage sale is feasible (I don't-there are more cows than people out here) then that might be the way to go to get rid of it quickly.  If you want to make money off of it, you should probably try eBay or your local classifieds and see if anyone bites for the right price.  Just don't confuse sentimental value with the price someone is willing to pay.  I see stuff advertised all the time on the local classifieds as something they got from their grandmother and they want thousands of dollars for it when it's something that I can buy brand new from Walmart or order on Amazon for about $5. 

My next collection downsize will be my G3s.  I just have to decide if trying to sell them off where I live is going to be worth the effort (because I'll likely have to mail everything out and it's just a lot of work and haggling on the price) or if I'm just going to dump it all at the local thrift store.  I'll store them until I make the decision and then they'll go.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I don't think I've ever sold my collection when I've fallen out of love. I've collected trading cards and Beanie babies over the years, and I've never sold them. I've either thrown them away, given them to someone else, or donated them to thrift stores for other people to enjoy.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
I've never really sold any of my collections, I've had random items I've gotten rid of (via donating to thrift stores) but they were never really collections. I have had to thin down my Sanrio collection a tad by getting rid of two of my three large Hello Kitty plushes since having three in my closet took up way too much room, but that was about it? With collection items I don't have on display I just do my best to store them away in my closet. I just have all of my items confined to my bedroom, which is relatively small. I do still live with my parents, whenever I do end up moving out years from now, it will be nice to have space to actually display everything I own...

As for what else I collect!

-Sanrio (I've got smaller items on my windowsill, and my favorite plushes on my bed, the rest of the plushes are in my closet)
-Pokemon (nearly everything's in the closet right now, but I've got a lot of plushes and a decent amount of figures, also some cards)
-Monster High
-Ever After High
-Barbie
-Shopkins (this is my most recent collection, I primarily focus on the Shoppies dolls)
-Furby (most of my collection is from my childhood, with the exception of three of my '98s, a handful of 98 McD toys, and my 2012 and after Furbys)
-Animaniacs (my smallest collection by far)
-Di Gi Charat (also pretty small, given I have to go out of my way to add to this by getting stuff on eBay, haven't added to it in a while)

I also buy other various merchandise of stuff I like, but I don't have enough for them to be considered collections yet. I guess I could consider my various other Nintendo figures that aren't Pokemon a collection?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
It usually ends up in storage until I am delighted to find it again. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
On the other hand, since some items have become quite valuable.  My husband says why not hold it a little longer and advises not to sell.  He says, "These things are not bothering you, they are all in storage, youve had some of them for almost 20yrs, what's another 10-20yrs & see if the value increases?  Why start a new collection and have to wait another 20 yrs to see if your new collection is worth anything?"   

Sometimes there is a right time to sell, both personally if you feel your ready and also if there is a current market for it. You may hold onto something longer with the idea for it to increase but the interest in it may not be there down the road. One aspect of selling also becomes what it is "worth" vs. what people will pay. I see toys all the time on ebay that are valued/listed at a particular high price but what matters is the demand for that item and what someone will pay. Sailor Moon for example has been back in the market for a few years now once the 25th anniversary came, re-release of mangas and dvds, Sailor Moon Crystal started, etc. This brought a whole new round of new fans as well as LOADS of new merchandise. There is also the question of if the products will stand the test of time. 10-20 years from now we all might have piles of yucky gooey figures or deteriorating dolls/plush that have passed into an unsalable state.

One suggestion is to go through your items and see how you feel when you go through them. You mentioned your collections are in storage. By going through them you can determine how you feel about them now. There also may be a few items that you are fond of after all and may want to keep while many others you will want to get rid of. As far as suggestions for places to sell it all depends on your overall goal and time you want to invest. Ebay, garage sale, search out consignment shops, or places that will buy collectible items. If it isn't a particular piece that has a lot of value you could give them away to someone or donate to thrift stores.

I collect:
Disney Stuff (all sorts of things, but a lot of dolls) , Disney's - The Little Mermaid memorabilia, Barbie, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony and Sailor Moon. My husband collects Disney, Transformers and video games.

"How long do you plan to keep your collection?"
I don't necessarily have an exact answer to that. I have a VERY large collection of Disney's The Little Mermaid memorabilia. I have been collecting Little Mermaid for almost 30 years (2019 is the films 30th anniversary). Since it was a collection that started in my childhood (I was 9 years old when the movie came out) it has sort of grown with me. Now that I am older (38 now) there are things that I go "why did I ever buy that?" and my collection has changed as I grew up in regards to what items I collect to add to it. While I am not planning on getting rid of it anytime soon, I am starting to look at my ENORMOUS amount of Little Mermaid items and am considering downsizing some things by either selling, donating or giving them to my 6 year old niece.

"If you sold it, what was your reason to sell and what did you with your earnings?"
My husband has sold off individual pieces over time. He has sold Transformers and Video Games/Gaming Systems on Ebay as well as selling Transformers to a collectible type store that buys from private collections. He used the money to buy new video games and new Transformers. Basically out with the old no longer want/didn't like to play items in exchange for ones he wanted.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I sell when if I'm feeling pretty meh about it. There is a point that i just didn't want SO much of my collections. (Halved it when I got married. Halved it when I had a baby). And adjusted again when I knew I was moving to a new house with little space -- and didn't want everything in storage.

So I designated a space (~2 shelfs) and I chose what was most meaningful to me. If something wasn't my childhood toy or OOAK-- and I regret it -- I can always buy it again. I'll do 1 in and 1 out if I wanna add something new.

I dunno. Our lives, interests and priorities can change when we get older.. I just go with it.

I have a mish mash of anime stuff and cute/kawaii toys..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:46:45 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
If your instincts are saying "it's time to sell", then it's time to sell IMO.

To me that argument of "wait another 10 or 20 years" is just weird (no offense to your husband).  Also, there is no guarantee that the items that are valuable now will be valuable in 10 / 20 years. Not everything appreciates.

I used to collect Digimon and DC superheroes figures but eventually I sold them all off.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
What if a warehouse find floods the market, like MoC ponywear? If you need the space especially and no longer get enjoyment out of having the collection, it is worth it to simply sell it all right now.
I used to collect LPS as a child, but I've since started selling them on eBay. Usually we donate the toys to goodwill, but because of the market I've decided it can help supplement my college tuition.
I am still primarily collecting MLP and not much more.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
I collect The Lion King^^ I also can't imagine selling any of my pony or Lion King collection but that's just how I've always been.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What else do you collect? When to sell when youve fallen out of love?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 10:13:55 AM »
I have downsized and sold off a bunch of collections over the years. The only one that is 100% safe is MLP although I have made changes to it over time as well.

It depended for me on the collection. I don't drive, but we used to live near a good boot sale and my whole family would take stuff up there. Collections that parted ways with me there included a random flurry of My Scene dolls and a bunch of beanies. I have more beanies but they're probably going to charity now.

My G3 ponies that I did sell - some went to ebay, some on here, some to carboot sales. I have still a lot of G3. I have some that didn't even sell at carboot sales, so they are still here...

My She Ra figures (aside a few favourites) and my Keypers (again, aside my childhood 3 and a couple of the weird horses) went to ebay. For some reason all my Keypers now live in (different) homes in Australia. Random. But I kind of love that that's the case because it makes someone on the other side of the world happy. (Actually, a few of my G3 now live in Japan...)

I think that the most of my fairy tails also went to carboot sales. I had a few FSF that I picked up at carboot sales but they mostly went at carboot sales too as I didn't want to pack them up. They weren't worth much the ones I had anyway. I again kept a few - the one fancy one I had, one a friend gave me..they live with Dream Beauties.

A lot of these were things I picked up at carboot sales alongside ponies.

My main collections are Jem and MLP. I have Monster High, I do consider it a collection, but it's very much now the ones I want to pick out and keep. I have a box of ones I don't intend to keep which either need to get sold online or go to a carboot or whatever as I have real problems with storage space and I want to be able to enjoy the ones I have. I picked up a lot of dolls cheaply second hand while working out what I wanted from my collection, but since I got Gloom & Bloom Jin I feel that collection is now complete so it's just making the most of the ones I have and so rehoming the ones that don't fit my needs.

I reorganised my Jem collection some years back. Originally I tried to get everything, but some of the fashion pieces for Jem are expensive and some I just don't like. I was getting annoyed with my display so I stopped and reevaluated what I wanted. THey are the only collection of mine that has a purpose built display case for them to live in so the display has to be one I'm happy with. Eventually I resolved it by selling the outfits I didn't like and also getting rid of every Jem/Jerrica and Rio doll because I can't stand them. Now I'm much happier with it. I do have some IT dolls but only the ones I could a: afford and b: ones that are either Misfits or dolls that were never produced by Hasbro. Aside Aja, who came randomly to me, I've kept it to those only. Graphix is the only other character I would add if I could afford to, but I can't.

The only Jem/Jerrica I kept is Mexican Jem, because she's part of my Mexican Jem collection which is a treasure of mine :) I was collecting Mexican Jem dolls long before the rich bods in the Jem fandom decided they weren't fakies and to make them their latest big money fad, so I still have a lot of fondness for them.

I don't think of my collection in terms of value now or in the future. If I started thinking of them in terms of value, that'd be the first step on the path towards wanting to sell them. If something makes me happy then the value to other people is irrelevant. If I'm thinking of what someone else would pay for it, then I guess I don't want it in my house any more.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:17:14 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Kiwichi

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
ah... ive been enjoying hearing about all the other things you collect and hearing what everyone is thinking is really helping me sort out my own thoughts :lookround: pls continue to do so ^.^ :heart:

Im definitely leaning towards sell... but I feel once I open up storage and go through it I will feel this ~~~weird~~~ attachment and not want to sell and/or keeping more  :blink:   :heart:

My failed attempt last night was when I was sorting my MLPs and my 3yo daughter (who really interested in MLPs at all!) took 60 ponies to her box and told me I cant sell those, its her "flock of ponies" :drunk:

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »
I collect Star Trek:Voyager stuff (primarily Janeway, duh), but I tend to collect more handmade than vintage things.  For instance, I have several lovely paintings of my favorite Captain, a bunch of really neat prints, a tiny tiny tiny locket with a hand-painted Voyager in it, a custom sculpted Playmates line figurine, a Janeway minifig, etc.  A lot of this stuff means more to me than my vintage pieces because someone took the time to make it.  It wasn't made in a factory with thousands of identical pieces, it's a OOAK piece made because someone else shared my interest in all things Voyager.  That stuff I can't ever sell or give up. 

Offline cookifaa

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
I used to collect Care Bears, Monster Highs and of course My Little Ponies.

I was never fully into care bears, I collected them because they were everywhere when we went to charity shops and car-boot sales. When it came time to sell them, I didn't regret it.

I was kind of forced to give my monster highs away (my dad told his friend that I had some dolls and I would give them to her daughter, without asking me) and its a huge regret to me, I really wish I'd said no but my anxiety doesn't allow me to do that :cry:

When I fell out of love with ponies for 4+ years, I wasn't sure what to do. Part of me wanted to sell the, and the other part wanted me to keep them because of the sentimental value. I'm very glad I kept them because i am now fully in love with ponies again!

Personally, I would put the collections in storage and wait another 10-20 years to see what they're then worth!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 10:10:54 PM »
It's never really bin a problem for me. I used to collect coins, the ones you use everyday. It began as a empty the wallet to make it thinner thing and then became a sport. I used to put my fives in one bucket and my tens in one and my ones and .50s in one. Then the .50s were gonna be discontiuned and dissapear from the market so I got to the bank and got some tubes for them and put the money in my savingsaccount instead. When I was moving I did the same with my ones. I started to use my fives and only kept those made 1984 (my birthyear). Then I learnt we were gonna exchange our coins for new ones so I got rid of the rest, put them in my bankaccount. The last to go was the 1984 fives that I used up on fleemarkets. I kept one for sentimentality reasons. All in all I had about 15000 sek in coins at home at the height of the "collection".

The other thing I kind of collect is books. I prefer buying over borrowing from a library but I go through my shelves once a year and sort out the ones I think I can live without and donate them to the red cross or salvation army (or I used to, I have a couple of piles that need to go but can't muster the energy for it).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal