collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What else do you collect? When to sell when youve fallen out of love?  (Read 7406 times)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
Re: What else do you collect? When to sell when youve fallen out of love?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 04:41:38 AM »
Care Bears are the only other major toy line I collect.  I dabble in Lady Lovely Locks and Babar merchandise, but My Little Pony and Care Bears are my ultimate favourites. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2018, 07:37:32 AM »
I've been off the Arena for months and months, as I had to keep my collecting under control, and this place was too tempting! Been weird, but I've now mananged to gain control over my collecting, and have downsized vast amounts of toys and things on Ebay. I've managed to buy a laptop with the proceeds, pay for a year's child sponsorship in one go, a wallhanging for my new flat, and pay a load of smaller expenses. And I didn't ever spend much on individual items, most were from charity shops.
So now, although I have probably about 13 small collections of my fave things like MLP, (they are reduced to one small storage box and include my childhood ones),  and have downsized my Vintage Cabbage Patch Kids to about 50 so far, not 200, I'm only now adding to a few collections, to try and be in control of my collecting, and the space I have for collections.
So now only really adding to: Vintage Pound Puppies (mostly Hornby, and nothing to do with the Hanna Barbera cartoon), gemstones (lifelong collection), model armadillos, and vintage traditional Japanese Kokeshi dolls and gofun baby dolls.
Not sure how long I can resist all that 80s goodness still out there, but I'm trying!

Offline Annichen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • So Soft Pony
  • G1 MLP 4 life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2018, 07:19:15 AM »
*Old post but as a old collector I think I have some good advice here :

I think that if you have a very good collection and you feel like you are less into it then don't let it go just yet !
Many things can contribute to your lack of interest and it could pass in a month or a year or even several years.
Myself I collect but can easily take a break for a year or several months due to things happening in my life but I always come back. I had severe health issues years back and had to sell off a lot and that was of course really sad, but you do what you have to do during bad times.
I collect a lot 80s toys (and some early 90s), pretty much anything colorful. She-ra, Punky, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, Barbie, Spectra,  Popples, Glo Friends/Worms, Care Bears, Jem, Lady Lovely Locks...and so much more, can't get enough !

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 11:34:18 AM »
I collect Pokémon games and selected Pokémon merch :) And Playstation games (PSX only). And selected Nintendo games & consoles. And well, according to my husband : plushies! XD ... im very very selective on those though!
When I notice, Ive fallen out of love with something, I usually put it away where I cant see it and wait a while. Then I dig it up and see if it sparks joy again or not. And if it does not : Ill sell or trade it :)

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
Aside from ponies, my active collections are pokémon, mtg and BJD. I also like Tolkien-related stuff ^.^

I have my childhood LPS (g1) which I won't sell :) But I am currently getting rid of some MH and EAH.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 02:32:54 PM »
I guess I just collect stuff (not a hoarder though!). :lookround: Seriously, my house is like a shop window. There are no functional things anywhere in my living room, just pretty little things everywhere that I like to wallow in. :hearts:

My latest obsession is pretty figures and candles made of beeswax. :D  Some health stores over here sell them (and the profit goes to the bees!), and they are just too lovely. I have elves, mermaids, flowers, stars, seashells, angels, leaves... They are scented too. ^.^

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 03:01:38 PM »
Living in such a small apartment I keep my collections small though if I had room and display cabinets. I'd love to add some of the nice Disney figurines. Specifically of Belle and Rapunzel, as it is now I don't dare because I have cats. Current my collections are Breyer (thrift shop finds), Beauty and The Beast (related Disney books and merch) and Rapunzel (thrift shop finds) plus a few Disney Store items.

But my two main ones are Belle and Breyer's, with G1 in there but they're hard to find thrifting. Which is what I limit my collection too. Or the new Basic Fun ones.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
I have sold off my collections in the past and then a few years go by and I regret it. There are some items I will never be able to get back (like my Woosie custom MGR ponies and MGR Bubbles or my Aquilea plush Bubbles). If you are sure you will never want it again, and it is common enough to get back if you end up regretting it, I say sell it. If not, I would hang on to it. Maybe pack it away and see how you feel in a few months?!?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »
I don't sell, but I have given them away when something doesn't interest me anymore.

My non- mlp toy collections:
Model horses
Mega Man
Transformers
Care Bears
Skylanders
Amiibo
I have a few comic figures and a riding doll for my horse collection, but I don't consider myself a collector of those.
I fell out of love with plushies a long time ago, but I keep a few that are special to me
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:44:24 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 07:47:45 AM »
What I did with my collection is I parceled it out into appropriate-ish seasons, and then a few holidays.  I basically treat them like seasonal decorations.

I LOVE this idea! As an apartment dweller, I think about this option often because space is a very serious consideration regarding what I can acquire. Depending on the layout of my next place, I might take this route!
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal