collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What else do you collect? When to sell when youve fallen out of love?  (Read 7445 times)

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What else do you collect? When to sell when youve fallen out of love?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 11:45:39 PM »
ah... ive been enjoying hearing about all the other things you collect and hearing what everyone is thinking is really helping me sort out my own thoughts :lookround: pls continue to do so ^.^ :heart:

Im definitely leaning towards sell... but I feel once I open up storage and go through it I will feel this ~~~weird~~~ attachment and not want to sell and/or keeping more  :blink:   :heart:

My failed attempt last night was when I was sorting my MLPs and my 3yo daughter (who really interested in MLPs at all!) took 60 ponies to her box and told me I cant sell those, its her "flock of ponies" :drunk:

I think your daughter has just given you another suggestion on what to do with them :)
If she's attracted to them and you have space maybe it's worth hanging onto to the ones you and she are fond of. If that is the ponies then a small edited collection could be really treasured by your daughter when she is grown. 

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
Besides ponies, I like to collect stuffed fuzzy things... I have a major stuffed animal problem. That and character sheets/blankets.
I have a bit of Rainbow Brite, Smurfs and Care Bears, but really have cut back over the last few years on how much I bring home.
When to sell, for me is when I run out of room... I find that if I only have a few of something in a collection it's easier to part with the item(s).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
Im definitely leaning towards sell... but I feel once I open up storage and go through it I will feel this ~~~weird~~~ attachment and not want to sell and/or keeping more  :blink:   :heart:

I try not to let those types of emotions control me. :O Cuz if I did, I'd keep everything.

My dad thought he was doing a favor by keeping some of my childhood toys. ;_____; and man, oh man, was it hard to say I didn't want them.. because I did-- BUT I had already decided I didn't want them a long time ago. It's not that I didn't like them, they brought me joy at one point in time, but I would of felt like I had too much stuff if I woulda said yes. :) So I picked out one teddybear and asked if he could help find homes for the rest... (As it would of been too hard for me).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 02:06:29 PM »
I'm working on a little collection of Eko acoustic guitars from the 60s and 70s; they're perfect for folk music, usually easy to get a-hold of quite cheaply and the interesting rosette designs give them a nice bit of personality. That collection is near completion though, I have a Studio L classical guitar and am looking to replace the parlour guitar that was released alongside it and to go with my beloved 6-string Ranger, I'm looking for a 12-string E-ros Dakota (essentially a 12-string Ranger but it was made by a short-lived spin-off company who joined back up with Eko after about 4 years of production.)
Unfortunately, I had my hand forced there when it came to getting rid of one of the guitars because its soundboard was warped and the bridge was coming away from the body, but it was an education in what to look for when inspecting the condition on an old guitar. (And also a lesson in never buying vintage instruments online!)

My other, more active collection is fortune telling goodies, mostly tarot cards because there's a lot of variety there but I like wooden runes and magic 8 balls as well. That one is currently limited to a shelf on a little bookcase, but I'm hoping to set up a proper display where I can represent more different kinds of divination, like palmistry, pendulums and - as macabre as it is - kephalonomancy as well! Probably gonna be a bit awkward for guests to be confronted with a huge goat skull but I know what I like! :lol:

Generally, selling parts of collections comes down to space constraints (I get overwhelmed easily and that's when a clear-out needs to happen!) and whether or not I really feel any proper attachment to the individual items. Anything I'm unsure of gets set to one side for a while, then I come back to it and if I haven't missed it, then it's time to part with it. Sometimes it helps to do a bit of soul-searching and make a list in regard to how a particular item you're thinking of parting with chimes with your tastes, or if there are any particularly special memories attached to it. On other occasions, I've sold things out of necessity but that was while I was out of work, so fortunately I no longer have to resort to that!

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 06:46:25 AM »
I had quite the Alien collection, some time ago. I sold most of the stuff eventually, because I didn't have the storage space to tuck them away for a while when I thought I had moved on from that. Now, I'm hunting down Alien action figures again, and I do feel kinda sorry about selling some of the rarer figurines...

I'd say, when you first consider selling; keep them out of sight for a while, and see what happens - clear up the space, so to speak. If you don't miss it, or don't feel the same about it anymore when taking them back out after a while, you could safely part with them.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 08:01:24 AM »
I used to collect Monster High back when they were at their most popular. I enjoy character design and that is evidenced in the collectibles I gravitade towards. I also used to collect Transformers.

I did not get rid of all old collections, I just thinned them out to have a less cluttered and more clean shelf and box space.
It also helped me appreciate what I have. Some of my toys/figures I customize and I take my sweet time with it. Some of my toys/figures I payed a lot of money for or took a long time to hunt down, import. Those are the ones I usually keep. Including my favorite designs or characters.

Right now I am out of love with new ponies so I went back to Breyers and other high detail animal figurines like CollectA. I enjoy that the fanbases for these figures have a high amount of customizers similar to MLP or MH fandom.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »
As long as they are not in the way, you should hold on to them for your daughter. There's something special about a collection passed on through generations.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 11:31:54 AM »
Well, I also had pullips and bjds in addition to ponies. I sold all of them except one. I just don’t like to hold on to things, I guess. I have a small collection of Keypers as well and together with my ponies I don’t think I will ever sell them. They sre frim my childhood so I have an emotional connection as well.

I also collect vintage stuff, such as kitchenware etc. That is a little different bevause I also use that. But even those who never get out of the cabinets I don’t think I will sell. Unless space and money compels me too. I don’t like clutter, which is probably why my pony collection is currently only 33 ponies...
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 11:43:06 AM »
What I did with my collection is I parceled it out into appropriate-ish seasons, and then a few holidays.  I basically treat them like seasonal decorations. So at any given time I only have maybe 30 ponies on display, the rest are in storage.  I swap them out on the first days of spring, winter, summer, fall, Easter, Halloween, Christmas and my birthday.  And then I have an extra special box I bring out when there's some cool celestial event, eclipses, comets, etc.

It keeps it fresh, it keeps any given pony from being on display for more than 3 months at a time, and it gives me a periodic ability to do my favorite thing...clean and style, but with a reasonable amount of ponies.

I didn't figure this out until I got rid of a bunch of ponies I am now regretting parting with though :(

I did this with almost all of my main collections:  She-Ra, Strawberry Shortcake, Herself the Elf, petite Blythe dolls.  So there's like a crew that comes out, and it's fun!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:44:40 AM by flutterscotch »

Offline Littlesparklepony

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »
Ivé sold a lot of ponies over the last 15-20 years as a collector. But Ivé Always kept the most beloved once. I never want to sell them. Sometimes Ivé sold ponies to buy other once that I´m more after just as you husband.

I don´t like to hold on to stuff but offcourse it´s different with ponies or things that have a meaning.  :satisfied:

Other things I collect is disneymovies but they are laying in a box. I recently started to collect Childrens books from the well known writer Elsa Beskow just because Ivé Always loved them. I also have a Collection of old porcelain santa clauses and old christmas decorations that I use every year. But I don´t add so much to it longer cause of the space.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 04:07:13 PM »
I'm not actively collecting anything at the moment .... meaning I'm not adding to collections. Last fall I got rid of 99% of my possessions and put the rest into storage (AKA, Mom's basement). It feels great not to have so many things to worry about.

Besides ponies, I collect Kenner Shimmers, Rose Petal, LLL, and Fontanini figurines. More serious about some of those than others, it goes in phases.

It takes a bit sometimes to realize I've fallen out of love. I'll put it away or in storage for awhile and if my interest isn't piqued again, I'll sell eventually. Other times I will sell or trade items that I just don't love and had for the sake of having, which I've moved away from in collecting.

There are a few items I'll never ever get rid of as they have strong sentimental value to me.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
Besides ponies, the only thing I really consider myself an active collector of is garden gnomes.

I used to have very little self control when it came to my collections and had a sort of "gotta catch 'em all" mentality about it until I realized it would break me financially if I continued like that, that I wasn't getting genuine joy from all aspects of these collections, that I would rapidly run out of space to display them, and that in a household that moves every few years, it would get increasingly difficult to move that much pony merchandise and that many concrete garden gnomes. So, I started getting kinda picky about what I would collect. With my ponies, if I can't brush their hair and they couldn't survive a dunk in a bathtub, I don't need them in my collection (some exceptions apply; I've got a deep fondness for the G1 ceramics because my mom collected some of them for me when I was tiny). For my gnomes, I've mostly just started getting picky about them on a case-by-case basis. They have to have "personality" for me to bring them home these days.

Strangely enough, I've gone through probably three or four lulls in my pony collecting over the roughly 15 years I've been collecting, but the only time I've ever felt I wanted to sell them was for financial reasons. My husband convinced me to hang on to them, and I'm really glad he did. As he put it, when I rediscovered my childhood ponies in college, it excited me so much and he'd seen me get excited for them all over again after I'm done with one of my lulls that he was afraid that if we purged them now, we'd just have to buy them (likely at higher prices) again later. My gnomes, on the other hand, I've never had a lack of interest in. I attribute this mostly to the fact that they're typically less easy to come by than ponies.

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Born in the year of the My Little Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 02:51:45 AM »
I only collect My Little Ponies. I recently took up the collection again after a 10+ years long hiatus. My ponies were in storage for that time and now I'm working on fixing them up again to put on display. I'm glad I kept them.

Offline Kiwichi

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
I'm not actively collecting anything at the moment .... meaning I'm not adding to collections. Last fall I got rid of 99% of my possessions and put the rest into storage (AKA, Mom's basement). It feels great not to have so many things to worry about.

Besides ponies, I collect Kenner Shimmers, Rose Petal, LLL, and Fontanini figurines. More serious about some of those than others, it goes in phases.

It takes a bit sometimes to realize I've fallen out of love. I'll put it away or in storage for awhile and if my interest isn't piqued again, I'll sell eventually. Other times I will sell or trade items that I just don't love and had for the sake of having, which I've moved away from in collecting.

There are a few items I'll never ever get rid of as they have strong sentimental value to me.

Lol. I love using Mom's storage too ^.^

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 09:05:41 AM »
Other then MLP is mostly Rabbits either figures or plushies.

Picture from dorm(ca.3-4 years ago)

Only 1/5(maybe 6) of my collection  :bateyes:
(much is in storage right now so cant wait to get my own apartment)

The reason for my addiction on rabbits started around 2008/09:
Spoiler
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:08:51 AM by Strawberrysweets »
Icon by Minty_Magic

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal