Pony Talk > Off Topic

What else do you collect? When to sell when youve fallen out of love?

(1/8) > >>

Kiwichi:
Curious...  What else do all you collect?   And most importantly when is the right time to sell your collection when youve fallen out of love?

My collections: MLP, CareBears, SailorMoon, Pullips, video games, random anime stuff

Ive recently fallen out of love with some things in my collections.  I no longer want to hold this stuff anymore and am interested to sell, Im feeling like a hoarder and I just want to declutter...  if it makes any sense  :P   I want to sell to start a new collection (possibly).  Plus, Im a mother now and dont care much for my collections anymore.  Another possibility is to just deposit the money (from selling my collections) into her savings.

On the other hand, since some items have become quite valuable.  My husband says why not hold it a little longer and advises not to sell.  He says, "These things are not bothering you, they are all in storage, youve had some of them for almost 20yrs, what's another 10-20yrs & see if the value increases?  Why start a new collection and have to wait another 20 yrs to see if your new collection is worth anything?"  :blink:

Lol.  Curious... what you all have done?  Are you still holding or have you sold your collections?  If your still holding, how long do you plan to keep your collection?  If you sold it, what was your reason to sell and what did you with your earnings?

Pokeyonekenobie:
I have done this a couple of times.  When I find that I'm no longer enjoying my collection, that's when I sell it off.  When I got rid of my Beanie Babies, I went through and picked a few pieces that were special to me or that I still really liked and put the rest in a garage sale.  I sold them for a dollar a piece and then near the end of the sale someone made me an offer on what was left and I took it.  Why?  Because otherwise I was either going to have to go through the hassle of another garage sale or I was going to dump them at a local thrift store and get nothing for them. 

When I downsized my Disney collection, I picked the pieces I still really wanted and then posted the lot on the local classifieds.  I set a price on the site but in my head decided on a price I was willing to settle for if someone made an offer.  The first person who offered me a lowball price ($200-way below the asking price of $700) said it was because she was going to need to resell things because she ran a secondhand store.  Honestly, I had so much stuff she could have put a nickel on everything and still made more than $200, so I declined her offer.  The person I ended up selling to was someone who was buying it because their daughter was starting a collection and they were basically buying Christmas and Birthday presents for the next five years (probably more).  They offered me $500 for it AND they said they would come all the way out to my house in the middle of nowhere (we'd just moved and I used the move as motivation to downsize) to pick it up.  We're talking 12 LARGE plastic tote bins of stuff (stuffed animals, happy meal toys, dishes, glass collectibles, even a Song of the South classroom reel with the tapes and everything--some of that stuff was probably worth a hundred bucks on its own) and I didn't want to store it anymore.  They were happy with the purchase, I was happy with the sale, everyone won. 

If you live in an area where a garage sale is feasible (I don't-there are more cows than people out here) then that might be the way to go to get rid of it quickly.  If you want to make money off of it, you should probably try eBay or your local classifieds and see if anyone bites for the right price.  Just don't confuse sentimental value with the price someone is willing to pay.  I see stuff advertised all the time on the local classifieds as something they got from their grandmother and they want thousands of dollars for it when it's something that I can buy brand new from Walmart or order on Amazon for about $5. 

My next collection downsize will be my G3s.  I just have to decide if trying to sell them off where I live is going to be worth the effort (because I'll likely have to mail everything out and it's just a lot of work and haggling on the price) or if I'm just going to dump it all at the local thrift store.  I'll store them until I make the decision and then they'll go.

Mana Minori:
I don't think I've ever sold my collection when I've fallen out of love. I've collected trading cards and Beanie babies over the years, and I've never sold them. I've either thrown them away, given them to someone else, or donated them to thrift stores for other people to enjoy.

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42:
I've never really sold any of my collections, I've had random items I've gotten rid of (via donating to thrift stores) but they were never really collections. I have had to thin down my Sanrio collection a tad by getting rid of two of my three large Hello Kitty plushes since having three in my closet took up way too much room, but that was about it? With collection items I don't have on display I just do my best to store them away in my closet. I just have all of my items confined to my bedroom, which is relatively small. I do still live with my parents, whenever I do end up moving out years from now, it will be nice to have space to actually display everything I own...

As for what else I collect!

-Sanrio (I've got smaller items on my windowsill, and my favorite plushes on my bed, the rest of the plushes are in my closet)
-Pokemon (nearly everything's in the closet right now, but I've got a lot of plushes and a decent amount of figures, also some cards)
-Monster High
-Ever After High
-Barbie
-Shopkins (this is my most recent collection, I primarily focus on the Shoppies dolls)
-Furby (most of my collection is from my childhood, with the exception of three of my '98s, a handful of 98 McD toys, and my 2012 and after Furbys)
-Animaniacs (my smallest collection by far)
-Di Gi Charat (also pretty small, given I have to go out of my way to add to this by getting stuff on eBay, haven't added to it in a while)

I also buy other various merchandise of stuff I like, but I don't have enough for them to be considered collections yet. I guess I could consider my various other Nintendo figures that aren't Pokemon a collection?

lovesbabysquirmy:
It usually ends up in storage until I am delighted to find it again. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version