collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you enjoy dolly blind boxes like LOL, Hairdorables etc.?

Yes
No
I like the dolls but hate that I don't know what I will get
I like the blind box gimmick but dislike the dolls
Other (please comment)

Author Topic: The blind boxed doll trend  (Read 4182 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: The blind boxed doll trend
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 06:06:30 AM »
I'm pretty tired of the blind bag craze. It's fine for little cheap toys, like blind bag ponies - i.e. pocket money toys. But they're getting so expensive, it's ridiculous!! If I'm paying that sort of money, I want to know what I'm getting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 06:42:55 AM »
I'll admit I really like buying blind bags in bulk at discount prices, but it's so hard to catch those... 

sometimes TRU will put the rest of the box on clearance if there's only 10 or so left and the series is being discontinued.  I got a bunch of cute stuff stockpiled for swaps that way.

I also  found a MASSIVE amount of Filly Princess Surprise blind bags at the thrift store once.  I don't know if it was shop closeout or a Taobao birthday party favor order gone wild, but there were like 75 of these things all bagged up together!  I still have a bunch too.  Once I put some in a box to ship to Arena member Gabumon, and his daughter opened it and turns out one of them was the Super Rare Sparkly Princess that was the major goal of the series!  SO COOL!  :D 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »
I liked the MH minis but they stopped selling them in the UK literally after the first wave so the ones I have from later came to me randomly from buying unopened packs from others. I was superbly lucky in that I got only one double over all of them, which is a pretty glittery Twyla so thus far I have kept both.

I think LOL Surprise is creepy, period.

Plastic can be recycled, although whether it is recycled enough and how much the process takes is a whole other matter. Obviously producing less of it is a good thing, but if at least the plastic being used was recycled and is recyclable into something else...would be a step in the right direction.

I think cardboard boxes are a smart way of tackling the problem, but I guess it will take a while for that concept to spread across all toys. I don't like biodegradable plastic packaging because in my experience they just disintegrate into small flakes which then can be accidentally inhaled...which isn't helpful.

I think Blind Bags are fun if you don't take them seriously (ie are not trying to complete a set) but a nightmare if you are looking for specifics. With the new Cutie Mark Crew blind bags, if I knew which one had Sunset Shimmer in, I'd buy it - but I'm not spending £4 on something that might be something I don't want at all. I don't want any of the others.

I haven't noticed on the packages for those that there's any way to see inside. And I am fairly sure they are also plastic.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »
The thing I don't like about blind bags and blind boxes is the way the companies deliberately make certain characters/variations scarce. I'd be fine with the trend if you had an equal probability of getting any figure. But deliberate scarcity is such a sleazy marketing technique, and I refuse to buy into it.

The pricepoint on these types of figures is getting absurd too. I like the Loyal Subjects ponies and I like the Gift 'Em figures, but with ponies being ~$15.00 apiece and unopened Gift 'Ems going for ~$10.00+, I don't see them as being worth buying unless I know what I'm getting, so I only buy ones that are already opened.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
I think when it comes to blind packaged toys one must remember that the target audience is kids who can easily trade them in person on the playground if they are small things and if they are bigger things would be happy with whatever they get. Kinda like with Puppy/Kitty/etc Surprise or Magic Nursery back in the day.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
I adore the Haridorables. I think they are so cute! But I know I am going to be so frustrated by the blind nature of getting them. I am not sure that I would have enjoyed getting it blind even as a kid.
~Foxtale~

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 09:56:00 PM »
I love blind boxes, if I like the franchise I'll buy at least one. Only Funko set I sought out the entire line was Through The Looking Glass. Managed to only get doubles of one character, even snagged the harder to find ones. But honestly, it was probably dumb luck, still fun though.

My issue with kids surrounded by them is moderation is a good thing. Especially since some of the blind boxes aren't cheap. The TTLG ones were $6 after tax.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 03:42:08 PM »
The thing I don't like about blind bags and blind boxes is the way the companies deliberately make certain characters/variations scarce. I'd be fine with the trend if you had an equal probability of getting any figure. But deliberate scarcity is such a sleazy marketing technique, and I refuse to buy into it.

The pricepoint on these types of figures is getting absurd too. I like the Loyal Subjects ponies and I like the Gift 'Em figures, but with ponies being ~$15.00 apiece and unopened Gift 'Ems going for ~$10.00+, I don't see them as being worth buying unless I know what I'm getting, so I only buy ones that are already opened.

The 'rare' figures make it like a gamble.  I think some people probably get hooked on that aspect of the blind bag items.  A sort of "will I win?" type of mentality.  It feels like winning if you get one of the hard to find figures.

I like some of the blind bag toys.  I really want the lost kitties, but I don't want to buy anymore in the box.  Out of six I already had two doubles.  Not worth it for me.  If I want them bad enough I will troll eBay for them.  Otherwise I can live without them.  It's too pricey to get tons of duplicates.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
I'm seriously drooling over Hairdorables. I'm really hoping that they have some kind of code on the boxes to avoid duplicates though XD Similar to the two letters on BB ponies, or the 2 numbers + a letter on Hatchimal Colleggtible eggs. I want them all but with the price tag I can't see spending that much trying to get a whole set blindly.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:47:50 PM by Duenia »

Offline Evilunicorn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Always tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »
I rarely get blind bags, but when I do I get the cheaper ones. I love only a few of the hairdorables dolls, and from what I've seen there's a really good chance of getting a double. I'm not paying $12+ for a blind doll. I'm even apprehensive about getting any cutie mark crew since they apparently don't have codes and I only want muffins (and Luna from series 2).
Essentially, I like some blind bags/boxes (of it's under $5 i'm all for it, if it's $8-9 maybe depending on if I like a majority of the possible figures, anything more and it's really iffy).

Offline Princess_Luvlee

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 05:14:47 AM »
There are so few true surprises in life that i get the draw of the mystery.  I loved the early g4 blind bag ponies & trash pack so much.  I would just rather they not put dolls in blind boxes and instead have blind bag items for your dolls.  To me selecting a doll is a pretty intense process and i don't buy them sight unseen.

That said i adore the heads of hairdorables & they all look to be excellent in the qc front, so if they came down in price itd be fun to see who i get & pop her on a kkh or bratz bod

I feel like it's ..ok.. for small dolls and mystery buys should be well under $10.

I hate lol & don't get why anyone thinks they're cute, can't WAIT for them to vanish, but some of their fashion designs would be amazing on full sized dolls of some sort (cough bratz). 

I am outraged that the poopsie unicorn surprise are a whopping $60 blind box & its not fair that only one of em has  tattoos. That's gonna be the one most wanted I'm quite sure & there's no unique element, like the tattoos, in the remaining 3 so they're just...20% less cool.  Speaking of which who are they kidding with the blue one with rainbow hair haha

The blind box cups & diy slime are superbly done knockoffs of popular brands.  My hope is that they make the unicorns & more magical animals in that size.  But i still really want to see those big unicorns poo slime!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
I am outraged that the poopsie unicorn surprise are a whopping $60 blind box & its not fair that only one of em has  tattoos. That's gonna be the one most wanted I'm quite sure & there's no unique element, like the tattoos, in the remaining 3 so they're just...20% less cool.  Speaking of which who are they kidding with the blue one with rainbow hair haha

The blind box cups & diy slime are superbly done knockoffs of popular brands.  My hope is that they make the unicorns & more magical animals in that size.  But i still really want to see those big unicorns poo slime!

I have heard the unicorns are in Walmart's system for $50 instead. Still their price is the same as a Hatchimal and just like a Hatchimal each box contains one of 2 different possibilities but unlike Hatchimals you can push down the center and peek inside.

The one with rainbow hair is white like Rainbow Brite's horse Starlight. There is a blue one but her hair looks more like mostly white with a little bit of pastel rainbow.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:46:02 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 10:49:25 PM »
I'm all for blind box toys if they're well-made and it allows for a larger range!
I'll usually buy one or two, then buy the ones I like on eBay, sell any I dislike, etc, it's much the same as buying a lot online, you win some you lose some :)
Totally hyped for Hairdorables and I love LOL Surprise, they're super cute :heart:
I finally found my grail! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal