collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you enjoy dolly blind boxes like LOL, Hairdorables etc.?

Yes
No
I like the dolls but hate that I don't know what I will get
I like the blind box gimmick but dislike the dolls
Other (please comment)

Author Topic: The blind boxed doll trend  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
The blind boxed doll trend
« on: July 16, 2018, 04:05:55 AM »
I'm curious. I noticed these are popular right now along with regular blind box figures. I personally like the idea but wish it was easier to get the characters I really want.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: The blind boxed doll trend
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 06:00:11 AM »
Dolls aren't for me, I prefer animal figures instead, but I'm still swayed by dolls such as Ever After High, Pinkie Cooper. I've yet to be swayed by any of the dolls available yet! If I am, it's usually one out of a set and I avoid it in fear of me getting one I don't want.
A problem with blind boxes is that there are going to be a bunch of throwaway common ones that everyone has doubles of which makes it hard to get rid of once you decide to downsize your collection. If you don't downsize, you end up with an accidental army of one or two. I feel like this is a problem with LOL dolls, at least from what I've seen, where theres about 4 that are very common, and then the rest are very hard to get.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
It depends on the style of the dolls. What I absolutely dislike and quite disgust me is those LOL things. Why are they wrapped so many times with plastic and all you get are some dumb sticker/riddle thingies. It's a complete waste of packaging which really disgust me. Blind Boxes are okay but not with this kind of packaging imo. :C

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »
I cannot stand "blind bag" anything.  The only thing we buy are LEGO mini-figs and my DH is a superb genius at feeling the bags so we always get what we want.  :D 

Thankfully DH is also nice, if he sees a kid looking, he'll help them look for the fig they are hoping to get.  And if he's wrong, he buys the figure from the kid and tries again. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Firecracker

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 09:04:58 AM »
I do find some of the dolls quite cute, but add in the blind box component?  Noooope.  Not gonna happen.  I am not buying something without knowing what it is, or specifically if it will even be one I like.  I've been burned by dupes in the past, I'd rather save my money for other things.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
I really look forward the Hairdorables dolls since I think all the dolls look really cute, I've got ones I want more than others but I'm gonna be pretty content regardless of what I get as long as I don't end up with too many doubles.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Jennifer2004

• Hooked on Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Looking for Bowtie variants, nirvanas, & merch!
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer Bischoff
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:09:21 AM »
I cannot stand "blind bag" anything.

100% agree. Honestly, I'd rather pay a little more and be able to buy the one(s) I want. The idea of getting duplicates and having absolutely no use for them and then having to figure out what to do with them prevents me from getting into "blind bag" anything.

~Jennifer

eCrater Store - Commissions Info - Facebook Page

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 10:25:16 AM »
Blind bags is a very ingenious way to get kids to consume massive amounts and prepare them to be a proper little consumer/Horder in the future. When I see YouTube videos of little kids surrounded by 200 LOL balls I shudder a little. Also there's the waste component that was mentioned already, the LOL are the worst offenders in that arena.

I personally am ok with blind bags, I usually just buy 1 or 2 of the lines I like/ fine with getting any of the characters. If I was hunting for a specific character they would be a bane.

I saw you mentioned Hairdorables, they look very cute and doing blind box is again wise because kids (parents) are going to have to buy like 10 just to get 3 different characters. In thier case I wish they were not blind box because there's just a couple I'd want.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »
I like the idea, but I would much rather have everything in a box, to cut back on the plastic waste, or I would just go second hand.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:35:30 AM by invaderhorizongreen »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 10:47:34 AM »
Oh, my niece loves these.  I buy her some every once in awhile as a treat.  Usually, I end up with her doubles.  I think they're cute, but I probably wouldn't get them if left to my own devices.  If I really wanted a specific character, I'd use ebay.

And yea, the waste is bad.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
It depends on the style of the dolls. What I absolutely dislike and quite disgust me is those LOL things. Why are they wrapped so many times with plastic and all you get are some dumb sticker/riddle thingies. It's a complete waste of packaging which really disgust me. Blind Boxes are okay but not with this kind of packaging imo. :C

I feel the same way about LOL dolls. Even when I first saw them I thought they were silly since most of the "surprises" are made of paper/stickers. I've seen a lot of kids begging for them though.

I do like the Gift Em dolls with the little display stand that represents each doll's country with pictures and the flag. I might get a couple of those but I wouldn't buy a lot of them. With my luck I'd get a bunch of duplicates and would give up trying to get new ones.

I saw some blind boxed dolls that come in a push up frozen treat style box. I think they're new.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »

Yeah, the aspect if too much plastic waste is a concern for me, too. On the other hand a lot of toys come in boxes with a big plastic window or bubble. So I guess that evens it out.
In case of Hairdorables, while there are plastic containers involved, I like how the box becomes a playset and storage area. Just begs the question how many people will let their kids keep all the boxes for each doll they get.

I don't see the blind box trend as something that will turn kids into hoarders. I always assume kids will trade if they get doubles. That's what we did back in the day with sticker bags and trading cards :lol: Getting kids to collect things has existed for a while now.

Offline mlly

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 10:15:03 PM »
Nope.
I dislike blind packed anything but at the very least I can sorta understand them for SMALL and CHEAP toys and even for stuff like LOL since those are still fairly small.

But Hairdorables are the final straw for me. I actually really like the dolls themselves but the fact that they are sold blind is making me hate them and hate the blind box trend even more than I already do I mean they are around $15 Shoppies/Chelsea/Kelly sized dolls already making them the current most expensive and largest line of blind packed toy plus their packaging is super wasteful even compared to LOL as the boxes are very large compared to the doll, the accessories and stickers are in sauce packets, and a cardboard 'playset' is pointless and easily damaged and will most likely just be thrown away.
Anyway, aside from the fact that it's 'trendy' I see no reason why a doll line like this especially of its size and price should even be blind boxed. Tbh while I like the dolls I hope this decision to sell them blind makes them flop...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:18:12 PM by mlly »

Offline Dreamer

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 01:04:43 AM »
It's a bummer, really. Toys are already a tad expensive here and getting them blind makes it worse. Doesn't stop kids, though.

I really appreciate it if the toys have some kind of "tell". My favourite blind bag figurines have a small hole in the packaging and if you manage to move the figure to it you can tell which one it is by its colours. This has been very useful for me so far, even though I sometimes still end up with doubles  :P

If there's no "tell", I think the best way to approach it is to buy a few without getting too attached to a certain character - you know, just being happy with what you get. That's what I'm doing with Pikmi Pops, one per season/line. I'm not a big enough fan of LOL to buy their stuff.

I don't want to give Hasbro more bad ideas, but perhaps they'd be convinced to make more different kinds of ponies if they sold them in blind box/bag form - edit: let me make myself clearer, BRUSHABLE ones
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:29:12 AM by Dreamer »

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 01:15:10 AM »
I liked blind bag ponies (until I got fed up with doubles; the ones with a little window were best) and I enjoyed Mini Mixie Q's, but now I am just so bored of the whole blind box trend. LOL Surprise is just a waste of packaging materials. And some blind things are just so expensive! If I'm spending that much, I want to see what I'm getting!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal