collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it too much to ask to expect more g1 releases for the 35th anniversary?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Hasbro dun goofed, imo, releasing a SDCC exclusive pack of ponies for the 35th anniversary, but putting the same faces of g4 toys in there in 80's clothing- Twilight, Dash, and Pinks. I made a comment on the boards of Equestria Daily,  expressing my confusion and disappointment about this and the fact that they weren't Kanto....I mean, g1 re-releases, but some dingus replied back that "oh, weren't there g1 releases already?" and honestly, this made me a little sour. Bruh, really? We got 6 limited edition ponies from g1. How many rehashed g4 mane 6 do we get, again?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is it wrong of me to expect more g1 throwbacks from Hasbro in their 35th anniversary? Is Hasbro failing to capitalize on nostalgia for the older MLP fans by not releasing more than what they have?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Well, Hasbro isn't handling the re-releases. It's Basic Fun. It seems like there's a lot of confusion going on with whether we will actually get the Rainbow Ponies atm.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
If the first 1-2 sets sell well enough we will see more. Hasbro/Basic Fun are businesses that want to make money.

I'd also like to add  -- I would rather the retro ponies continue be released in a mass market store not limited edition releases from a convention.

The sucky part of the retro ponies is that we might only see the first few years. I don't even LIKE the ponies from the first few years, so I can't even support the effort. And I think that is one of the problems Hasbro has with releasing retro ponies -- is there are so many -- and we (collectors) all like different things.

But the retro releases are also aimed at mom's who have nostalgia of "I had this toy as a kid, I'll give it to my kid". Sooo pfft. Yeah, I'll probably never see a sparkle pony or SHS.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:04:01 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
I'd also like to add  -- I would rather the retro ponies continue be released in a mass market store not limited edition releases from a convention.

On the one hand yeah, on the other hand I'd like to have both.  :P

Personally I would be happy if they used G4 molds with G1 characters. Like if they'd done a pack with G4 style Firefly, Moondancer, and Bow Tie or whoever.  But if wishes were horses . . . (HO HO HO see what I did there?)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile

On the one hand yeah, on the other hand I'd like to have both.  :P

Personally I would be happy if they used G4 molds with G1 characters. Like if they'd done a pack with G4 style Firefly, Moondancer, and Bow Tie or whoever.  But if wishes were horses . . . (HO HO HO see what I did there?)

Well, I more so was thinking one or the other. Let's say they released a 3 pack SDCC sea ponies Seawinkle, Wavedancer, and Sealight... then NEVER put them in the stores. I'd find that irritating.

If they did BOTH, well, that'd be a different story. But as someone else mentioned basic fun is releasing them with a license so that technically would never happen *_*

:) I also think G4 as G1 would of been super cute -- but ah well. Like a 7 pack of who the G4s were based on (6 ponies and 1 spike!)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
They could have turned a g1 pony into a g4 or vice versa, or used side characters,  or at least not used the most heavily marketed trio. Shoulda coulda woulda, but I'm glad it wasn't a g1 pony.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
The problem I see with the 35th anniversary releases is that they already released these exact same ponies 10 years ago for the 25th anniversary.  They really should have picked something different to release.  Had they gone with the Big Brother ponies, I can guarantee that they would be flying off the shelves, especially since customizers like myself would stock up for future projects so we wouldn't have to wait for destroyed 80s boys.  They could have released baby ponies.  Those would sell well, too, especially if they came with accessories that always got lost when we were kids.  I understand not going with something that had too complex of a gimmick because they would likely be more expensive to produce but to rely on the exact same 6 ponies each and every time isn't going to work forever.  They should have figured this out with the lack of interest in the current mane 6 lineup.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
We have been asking Bridge Direct and Basic Fun for more. There was a concerted effort not too long ago asking for an unreleased set.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
The problem I see with the 35th anniversary releases is that they already released these exact same ponies 10 years ago for the 25th anniversary.  They really should have picked something different to release.

I don't think many people are saying "Oh these ponies were released for 25th anniversary, I don't want to pick them up again". IIRC, most everyone complained about the quality of the 25th anniversary ones and they bombed. Plus, 10 years ago is a really long time ago.

I personally think the rainbow ponies are the most iconic and safest to release. They scream "My Little Pony" with their pastel bodies and rainbow hair and that's perfect for the general public.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
I agree, the Rainbow ponies are a great choice for a rerelease.  (And ten years ago is indeed a really long time ago . . . I don't really get the "you made it ten years ago, don't make it again" argument.  I mean, maybe they shouldn't remake any G1s in that case  since they were made 'only' 20 or 30 years ago, LOL.)

Ohhh, sea ponies . . . I'd love to see the adult G1 sea ponies in the G4 sea pony / merpony molds.  Not only would that be a cool homage, but also there aren't that many G4 adult sea ponies and they could always use more.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
There is supposed to be more.  If you read along in the other 35thAnn thread, the Rainbow ponies and the very first playset, Peachy Parlor (with presumed Peachy pony) were scheduled to be released.  But the pre-orders on Amazon have since been cancelled.  :(  Basic Fun/Bridge Direct is presumably looking to solidify vendor contracts so that they can guarantee production of these ponies.  But all the new tariffs have made it more difficult to turn a profit in the current layout of Hasbro! 

So we don't know what we don't know right now.  :( 

I guess if you really are feeling the need for "new" G1 then you can totally support the HQGC Project.  I would love to buy some but right now the Canadian exchange and the above new tariffs have made these cuties presently out of my budget.  :) 

we are all UNITED in wanting ALLLLL the ponies!  plus more.  hehehe

I think the original first few years were a really good bet for re-release.  i do think they should listen to feedback and produce either the Celestial ponies or some of the babies IF they were to do more.  But I am not sure how to get millions of $$$$$ out of the toyline which is typically the threshold of success in the industry.  It has to be something we buy multiples of, and that our neighbors buy, and that becomes a household item... I don't know if I want Echo or Alexa determining if I need a new pony... LOL
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:49:53 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
There is supposed to be more.  If you read along in the other 35thAnn thread, the Rainbow ponies and the very first playset, Peachy Parlor (with presumed Peachy pony) were scheduled to be released.  But the pre-orders on Amazon have since been cancelled.  :(  Basic Fun/Bridge Direct is presumably looking to solidify vendor contracts so that they can guarantee production of these ponies.  But all the new tariffs have made it more difficult to turn a profit in the current layout of Hasbro! 

:( Oh no, I didn't know that the pre-orders had been canceled. That's not the greatest sign.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
:( Oh no, I didn't know that the pre-orders had been canceled. That's not the greatest sign.

yeah.  this is from:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391967.120.html

And, here we go:

Presently, the Amazon links to some of these products have gone dead/defunct.  Soooooooooo we can only speculate, but then again, there are only so many things that CAN happen in the toy industry that cause this. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:53:50 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
I feel like they will be released.  They already have the ponies in production (in Europe) so it's not like they're in the nebulous prototype stage.  As long as they can get a distributor in the US, they are set.  They seem to be selling well in Target (at least in my area), which is a good sign.

My guess is that they were worried about not being able to fulfill pre-orders in a timely manner (i.e. right as the release date hit) and wanted to have the ponies in hand.  From what I've heard, people who did manage to pre-order have not had their orders cancelled.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
People in the US have had preorders for Rainbow Ponies cancelled as far as I am aware but I have not heard if anyone in the UK had their rainbow orders cancelled or not? We can also buy Rainbows here in the UK from Amazon now but the price is a little higher than the original projected retail. It unsurprisingly went up £3 on most of them the night the tariffs between the US and EU began, but they're in production and still available in Europe. So I would be surprised if they didn't get to the projected countries - but I don't know about the US. My suspicion is that they will still happen, but the cancelling and such means they can recalculate prices to add the tariff onto the buyer's cost...and so not make a loss. Cynical Taffeta is cynical.

The Collector Pony preorder for the UK disappeared then came back...before it was only for Cotton Candy. Now there are listings fo 4/6 but no Bluebelle or Butterscotch. So weird. And the date got pushed back again to August.

I am most worried about the planned 3rd set which are ponies the UK NEVER had at all :( I will be gutted if they get cancelled because of all this.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal