collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Nirvana or not?  (Read 800 times)

Offline pinle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Nirvana or not?
« on: July 13, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »
Hello. I find Confetti pony without country stamp. Only <<83 Hasbro pat. pend>>, its all. Why?
Sorry, I cant find photo again.
I already bought  lot on the ebay and other information I can't see anymore.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Nirvana or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »
No Country ponies are usually Spanish.  There are two versions:  one has a metallic symbol and the other has just painted symbols - which is the one you bought?

As far as the stamp goes:  the year is the year that the pose was first used, NOT the year the pony is from! 

Pat. Pending means "patent pending", basically Hasbro had sent off the paperwork for that mold pose to the patent office, but they needed the ponies in production to meet deadlines, so they used the newest molds anyway without waiting to hear back from the patent office. ;)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:52:34 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline pinle

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 10:39:31 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Little-Pony-Generation-1-G1-Confetti-Sundance-Sprinkles-1983/222890593414?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I do not know how to look at the purchased goods, I'm a stuped  :mad:

But pony looks the same like another pony from ebay, with glitter cutie and same mold

[link to live auction removed --- thanks, Shaiyeh]   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:53:27 PM by Shaiyeh »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 12:21:47 AM »
I'm confused a little bit :)

Is the pony you have in the shy pose or the walking pose? Shy pose Confetti should not be missing her country stamp - but if that is the lot you won (the ended one that you linked), I noticed there is also a Sundance in that lot. That Sundance is probably without a country stamp so I wondered if you might be thinking of that one?

If not, it would be lovely to see some pictures of your Confetti :)

There are walking pose Confetti ponies with no country of manufacture on the hooves. As LBS said, they are mostly made in Spain.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinle

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 05:48:13 AM »
I have seen photo of white pony Bowtie's mold and no stamps on her leg. I thinking it was Confetti, but I'm not sure now. O_o Later seller send me more pics.
If Sundance don't have coutry stamp - is that Sundance nirvana?
MLP wiki call her just like <<No country Sundance>>, not nirvana...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 09:19:37 AM »
I have seen photo of white pony Bowtie's mold and no stamps on her leg. I thinking it was Confetti, but I'm not sure now. O_o Later seller send me more pics.

No Country ponies are usually Spanish.  You can see a photo of her in the Nirvana gallery here:
http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=472652

as noted on that page: "NC Sundance is standard release in the UK and Europe."  so in this case, Nirvana is more of a misnomer.  Nirvana doesn't always mean rarer or worth more, it typically just means a pony that was not part of the USA release.  Many of the Euro ponies are very easy to obtain and they don't tend to cost too much more than their USA counterparts.  of course there is a short list of ponies that are worth money and are harder to find but that is not the general case. 

In the lots you linked, the shy pose Confetti is the UK Bridal version.  She does have a Hong Kong stamp under her hooves, you can see them in photos.  The NC Sundance is Euro release, mostly sold into the Spanish market, .  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »

No Country ponies are usually Spanish.  You can see a photo of her in the Nirvana gallery here:
http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=472652

as noted on that page: "NC Sundance is standard release in the UK and Europe."  so in this case, Nirvana is more of a misnomer.  Nirvana doesn't always mean rarer or worth more, it typically just means a pony that was not part of the USA release.   

I'm going to split hairs on the above just a little bit. Nirvana mostly means ponies made in places other than HK and China. Most European ponies are not Nirvana. Even Nightlight and Raindrop, although they often get called it, aren't really. It has nothing to do with the US release. They're just International ponies (a term I hate, but that's beside the point).

The Nirvana term is often used in different ways by different people, it's not a perfect means of labelling. Its also not the case that all ponies who are Nirvana are either rare or expensive/valuable. Sometimes it just depends on where you are in the world ;) I have had hundreds of NC Sundances, but only ever two HK ones - one I gave to my sister, and one is mine.

To go back to the original point, there are exceptions though to the made in other places rule. Thai fancy pants babies are normal release in the US so don't count as Nirvana. As for Sundance, as LBS said, because she is mainstream release across all of Europe as far as I know, she's only sometimes counted as Nirvana (but I don't think of her as Nirvana because she is very common!).

There is an argument that a lot of other Spanish and Italian ponies were normal release in places in Europe so it's a grey line and it is super confusing, but I think some of it has to do with the fact she was sold normally and extensively in the UK, a place which had as a rule only Chinese or HK ponies. There's still a lot of discussion about Sundance and where she fits in - also the NC family parents as well. But I would say she's a NC pony, but not really a Nirvana.

As far as I know there's no shy pose NC Confetti. LBS is right about her being the UK (and European) version and she's always made in Hong Kong. She was sold here in 1986 with the Wedding Bells outfit.

LBS is right about the pictures in the auction. The first one is Sundance (NC), the second is Confetti (Hong Kong). So it is Sundance we are talking about :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:47:19 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 11:53:21 AM »
I'm going to split hairs on the above just a little bit. Nirvana mostly means ponies made in places other than HK and China. Most European ponies are not Nirvana. Even Nightlight and Raindrop, although they often get called it, aren't really. It has nothing to do with the US release. They're just International ponies (a term I hate, but that's beside the point).

Good point and one you should split hairs about.  I think you're right.  Aside from some locally-manufactured MLP lines, the vast majority of them were made for import to the Western world.  :D  Most ponies available will have a stamp from either Hong Kong, China, and less often, but still normal, Thailand.  The REST of MLP that are not, are more or less the Nirvana ponies.  But it took about 30 years of research and collecting MLP for us to have enough info to even know this. 
The Bad Trader List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal