collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To deflock or not to deflock. What's your opinion?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
To deflock or not to deflock. What's your opinion?
« on: July 12, 2018, 03:30:48 PM »
I have a few So Soft ponies that have seen better days. They look pretty rough.

I had Best Wishes and she was awful. She had quarter-sized stained spots and the outward edges (ears, mouth, the outside of the wings, edges of the feet) were bald. I spent about 3 hours on her to strip the flocking and the end result looks EPIC.

https://i.imgur.com/m578dkt.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/iv9Rvfz.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/UUzKwDo.jpg?2

But then there are ones like this that have spots well under the fuzz that obviously need more TLC:
https://i.imgur.com/kGYaEjj.jpg

How do you handle your flocked beauties?

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: To deflock or not to deflock. What's your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:45:28 PM »
Definitely depends on the condition of the pony! I've got four So Softs so far and three of the four have nice flocking, and are fine underneath it too, so they're keeping their flocking. Meanwhile another one is missing quite a lot already which makes it not very nice to look at, so I plan on deflocking her whenever I come across one with better flocking as an upgrade, and then I'll just keep them both in my collection.

My Sundance has pretty much all her flocking left, my Hippity Hop is only missing flocking on small areas of her hooves and ears, while my Taffy is missing some on the edges of her ears and her hooves, so they're the ones who are remaining flocked forever. Best Wishes is missing flocking in quite a lot of spots, her wings, ears, mouth, nose, hooves, it's really not nice to look at haha.

So basically if the pony is either missing small amounts flocking in only minor areas (like hooves, ears), or is missing none, she stays flocked. If she's missing a more significant amount that leads to her not displaying very well, she'll be deflocked, but I would like to wait until I get myself a nicely flocked upgrade first.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:55:22 PM »
I’m all for deflocking if there are major rubs, stains or bald spots. Flicking can’t be repaired and a pony can go from looking baity to amazing when it’s deflocked.

Offline Water Lily

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »
Thanks for this question as I have been really into SS ponies lately and wondering about this! I deflocked most of Truly but her color under is still brownish in spots! Can this be fixed? Have Skippity and Twilight on the way but Skip is baity and Twi has a few flaws. Unsure of what to do with her.
You can never go wrong with being kind. :good:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 05:09:22 PM »
Thanks for this question as I have been really into SS ponies lately and wondering about this! I deflocked most of Truly but her color under is still brownish in spots! Can this be fixed? Have Skippity and Twilight on the way but Skip is baity and Twi has a few flaws. Unsure of what to do with her.

Can you take a photo of her spots again now that they're not covered in flocking?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 05:56:45 PM »
What I usually do, and it's probably not a recommended practice, is give them an Oxiclean bath. Sometimes this destroys the flocking, sometimes not. Just not super hot water because that will loosen the glue.

But usually I'm aiming to deflock anyway because I like how bright the ponies are underneath, and I've always had a prejudice against the flocking for some irrational reason (read "dumb holdover from childhood") anyway. If the flocking's nice after they've survived my methods, the pony moves on.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:58:20 PM by flutterscotch »

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 01:24:15 AM »
I love flocked ponies and how they feel, so I will only deflock if there is a good reason to do so.

I can only see a picture of your Magic Star, and it appears to me as if those marks are mold? If that were so I would personally deflock from a hygiene point of view; mold is dangerous.

Offline Water Lily

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 09:06:05 PM »

Can you take a photo of her spots again now that they're not covered in flocking?
Sure can! How do you post pics?
You can never go wrong with being kind. :good:

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 05:51:43 PM »

Sure can! How do you post pics?

I have an account with http://imgur.com/ so I can organize and retain photos for reference :o

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »
for me condition makes the difference, I have a childhood gusty with no horn whom I deflocked as most was missing through play.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal