collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Collected ponies older than you as a kid?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Collected ponies older than you as a kid?
« on: July 12, 2018, 07:47:41 AM »
I was born in 1995 but I collected all the MLP I could find as a kid, especially G1, even before G3 came out. Every G1 and G2 pony from my childhood herd (except 2 of the 3 G2 McD's ponies and Skyskimmer) were found secondhand.

Did anyone else have a childhood herd that was older than themselves? When people mention their childhood herd, I get curious if they're old enough to have been a kid in the 80s which I imagine a lot of folks here were.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: Collected ponies older than you as a kid?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:53:22 AM »
I was born in 1998 and I had older ponies as a child. All of my childhood G1s and my G2 were from my step-sister. I think she offered them to me a bit after I got my first G3s, or maybe before. I can't tell, I was a tad too young to remember. =) They were well-loved, some of them are cleaned up, others are patiently waiting to be restored. You can see them in my gallery. (Peachy, Bowtie, Morning Glory, Music Time, Starlight and others I may have skipped. ^^ )
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:25:25 AM by RoseNoire »
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 07:57:54 AM »
I was born in 1982, so not me, but my sister did. Sprinkles was one of her first ponies, although she stopped being sold in the UK in 1985, and Naynie was born in 1987.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »
That's handy that you got hand-me-down ponies. My mom babysat kids who played with them when they were new but my main source for them was antique stores downtown. I was also lucky enough to get a few from ebay as gifts, like roller skating Melody! This was 15 years ago and her front wheels are missing, but she was from the UK and that made 8 year old me very happy tat Christmas.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:49:01 AM »
I didn't. But my daughter has a lovely group of G1s.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »
Many of my ponies are older than me. I was born in the 80’s, but it was the late 80’s. My first ponies were some of the early ones I got from my cousins when they were having a garage sale and getting rid of their original ponies. Now, later in the 90’s there were ponies that were just for me and bought new. Any ponies I got in the 80’s were my cousins old ones.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
I didn't. But my daughter has a lovely group of G1s.

same for me :)

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »
I was born in 1997, and technically grew up with G3, but my childhood herd was largely made up of secondhand G1s with a few G2s thrown in as well. I used to find boxes upon boxes full of them at garage sales and thrift stores when my family lived in Vermont. So yup!

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »
I was born in 1997, and technically grew up with G3, but my childhood herd was largely made up of secondhand G1s with a few G2s thrown in as well. I used to find boxes upon boxes full of them at garage sales and thrift stores when my family lived in Vermont. So yup!
Same...same... ok we didn't have THAT many ponies here in California but we could usually find a small handful at about half the antique stores. One store had a bunch of pony friends but when we went to buy them, they were gone. And one store had a small display with part of Dream Castle as the centerpiece, which I didn't realize until long after that store closed.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »
I was born in 1982 so only the Year One and Two ponies manufactured and shipped over from China in the earliest days are the only G1 ponies actually older than me... :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 10:32:26 AM »
I was born in 1980, so there are no MLP's older than me. lol! Growing up with G1's was awesome! I only had 5 ponies, but my aunt (just a couple years older than me) had Dream Castle, lots of ponies, and pony clothes I got to play with. And I still remember a friend I had down the street who had twinkle-eyed ponies!! They were super special and exotic to me back then since I didn't have any myself and had never seen them before anywhere else. ^-^

I remember picking out Jabber and Jebber in the store! They are the only G1's I actually remember buying at the store. My dad took me to the toy aisle and told me to pick something out. I grabbed their box and they came home with me. :)

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »
Alas, no.  I was 6 when I got my first pony, in 1984.  But let me tell you about Christmases and Birthdays of 1984 and 1985.  Because they were something pretty freaking special.

We didn't have a TV in 1983, and my parents were going through the beginning of their separation and long divorce process, so I did not even know about ponies. I discovered them because my grandma and aunt took us to the store and my brother and I were allowed to pick out one toy because at the time we had 0 from the crazy move. I chose Twilight. Love at first sight. I could have chosen anything in the store (for comparison, my brother chose freaking SoundWave, who was expensive at the time), but I wanted that pretty pony.

All holidays got really easy for my family after that for awhile, and it seems everyone was able to shop well in advance of Christmas given the release dates and the timing.

• Birthday 1984: Firefly, Medley, Sprinkles + the Waterfall + a paint at home Medley.
  • Christmas 1984: Lemon Drop + The Show Stable, Glory, Applejack, Cotton Candy, Blossom and the carry case.  Stuffed Blossom and Stuffed Cotton Candy
  • Birthday 1985: Windy, Stuffed Firefly (I had a different "big" present that year)
  • Christmas 1985...you know how you have a "A Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time" year, one year in your childhood generally where Christmas was perfect and every subsequent Christmas was kind of a let-down because it was never that perfect again?  This was mine.  Majesty + Dream Castle, Cuddles and the Baby Buggy, Baby Tiddly Winks and the Nursery, Baby Firefly, a second adult Firefly, baby Cotton Candy, Baby Blossom, Parasol, Tiny Bubbles.
  • Birthday of 1986: Sunbeam radio, Firefly mirror.  No actual ponies.
  • Christmas of 1986: Baby Bonnet School of Dance, So Soft Buttons, Honeysuckle Flutter, Peach Blossom Flutter (Promptly PROMPTLY lost the wings on both), baby Shady.

In between my older cousins and neighbors managed to hand me down several Cotton Candies, several Blossoms, Sundance, Tootsie, Heart Throb, Surprise, baby Surprise, Bluebelle and Skyflier. Surprise and Baby Surprise were WAY later.  While I played with and coveted them a lot, my cousin didn't give them to me until she had kids and realized her daughter had no interest...so it was only 15 years ago.  They're basically the only "childhood" ponies I have.

But dear god, I had so many versions of Cotton Candy and Blossom.  I'd also find them at yard sales, overwhelmingly those two.

The new pony parade abruptly stopped in 1986, as the commercials were the "my little pony mommy" ones, and my delicate 8 year old sensibilities found that too "babyish".  I still had the ponies and played with them (although they became more of a dresser top decoration) until 1988 when Jerk!Mom threw them all out out of spite.

I started re-collecting the year you were born, actually.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:09:33 AM by flutterscotch »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 01:09:32 PM »
Heh, technically? I got my first G1's when I was still a "kid" (14 or 15 mind you). I did have an old dollhouse from my Mother's childhood from the 60's and all of her Barbies that she had been collecting on and off. If only my mom's aunt had passed on her daughter's ponies!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 01:46:01 AM »
I didn't have ponies when I was little (making up for lost time now!). But my girlfriend was born in 1993 and had a huge collection of G1s bought from charity shops and car boot sales! Looking at her childhood herd was what got me started on pony collecting, and yep, most of G1 is older than me.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 02:52:04 AM »
There are no MLP's older than I am. 
(Retail releases, anyways, there must be Hasbro prototypes that predate Year 1.)
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal