collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why do you like Collecting MOC Ponies?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you like Collecting MOC Ponies?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 05:07:31 AM »
Ugh.  Discussions of decarding G1s or G2s makes me feel sick.  These toys are all that is get of the original generations of ponies, and that makes them really precious.  I feel that as collectors, we have a responsibility to preserve that original MOC/MIB ponies, as Taffeta has already said, "to do no harm".  Anyone who wants to open a MIB pony should buy a G3 or G4 and open that - it's not the same, but it at least gives them the joy of opening a new toy.  G1s and G2s aren't strictly speaking antiques, but they're vintage collectibles that are rare and worth a lot in both sentimental and monetary value to the serious fans of the world.  Taking a mint pony and ruining it by removing it from the box or card is is an absolute crime in my eyes.  It lessens the number of MIB/MOC in circulation, making it harder and pricier for other collectors to obtain one of the few remaining.  Once it's removed from the card or box POOF - that's it.  Can't take it back.  One less precious item in the world.  I just cannot understand how anyone could do such a thing.  It's not okay.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:24:57 AM by starstrider »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 05:30:34 AM »
I have a few MOC/MIB/MIP G1's. I really like the artwork and find having them in original packaging to be nostalgic. Would I love to have more? Of course, but can't always afford them...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 07:29:23 AM »
G4 are popular during a time when people like to collect new things NIP so their  packaging should be safe for awhile. It'll probably have the same fate as the Playmates Star Trek figures. I swear there are more MOC than loose because a whole lot of adult collectors bought them as collectibles back in the 90s. So you have some late G1 MLPs that are $100+ MOC and Star Trek figures from the same time that are usually no more than $10. I've only seen one store even bother to sell them loose. "My collection will be worth a fortune in a few years!" -probably every single one of them

So G3 and G4 are likely safe for awhile.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 07:50:42 AM »
*clings to her MOC*  noooooooooooooo.... we don't open these...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 08:02:39 AM »
I wouldn't open a MOC for all those previously mentioned reasons. I would love to have them so I can make sure they'll never be opened.
I get chills when people open MOCs and MIBs from any generation. Please, just don't...begging you. ._.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »
I can’t even open my G4s unless I get a duplicate so I can keep one MOC. I wanted to get an extra Songbird Serenade to decard but I’ve only been able to get one so far.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
I don't have any MoC G1s, but the price point enough would be good enough for me to keep them in box/on card. That, and the idea of the scarcity of these ponies. I do love to photograph my ponies, though, so they are not at all a priority for me to obtain. The backcard alone is enough for me!
I do have some G3 MiB because I've come across it in the wild/bought for my Sunny Daze army. It's not particularly worth it to me to unbox my Lily Lightly because she's avaliable loose. There are also many more rewarding things to unbox, such as mystery toys or surprise bags.
Any G4's I have MoC are because they were doubles, or I just...didn't end up taking them out, lol. They're nice display backdrops for me.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »
I must admit, I really really really do not understand why to bough somethin' MOC vintage and rare to open it.
What would it brings more to you? Couldn't you find the same one without the package?

I'm a bit worryied about this story of 400+ ponies decarted, how in the hell could such an amont of money be wasted? And why?
Sounds like a never ending debate as well, as the heart of it is: everyone does what he wants with it's own stuff :blush:

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »
Although everybody has the right to decard a pony everybody also has the ability to criticize the decision I remember when somebody decarded a mint European exclusive g2 I personsonaly hate when people decard as someone who plans to make a pony museum
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 02:03:59 PM »
I just have a few G1's that's on card or in box, but I did open one of the boxed ones because you couldn't see the pony in the box, it was a box wrapped around the pony like it was a playset D= (the ones with the plastic cape that you unlock) but if it was the box like the newborn twins and such, I wouldn't have.

BUT the 2 or 3 of the G2's I have, I will open because I bought them when they were still around with the purpose of opening them. Along with my G3's that have yet to be opened. I just never had the room at the time to mess with the G2's and they got packed away when I kept buying things and always running out of room XD

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 05:38:17 PM »
I have MOC Raincurl as part of my army of her. I also have the G3 Pop Art pony in the box since the box is part of her appeal for me. I'd like to get the G3 Egypt pony (can't remember her name?) in her box too, they'd look great side-by-side! Other than that I don't collect MOC ponies.

I have thousands of MOC Hot Wheels. They're value is... not too great! But it keeps them clean and organized. I have opened MIB Super Nintendo games, because I play them :P My McFarlane Dragons collection are all loose, either unboxed when I bought them new or bought loose second-hand. They were produced starting in 2005. I'm only missing a handful of them, including two of the big ones. I gotta admit, finding them loose is quite hard. I would rather not pay MIB prices because I would debox them, and that's silly imo. However! If I found them boxed and at a reasonable price, I would 100% buy and debox them. The two I want most of all go for around $60 MIB. They'd have to be about half that or less for me to get them. They are different from ponies obviously. Some are so large that they aren't fully assembled in the box and the packaging is that nightmare hard plastic in about three layers with twist ties and all that junk :P They don't look nice in box and they take up a ton of space.

I'm not in the camp of collecting for other collectors... yes, I'm aware I will die at some point and then someone else would own my things but I'm going to enjoy MY collection the way I want while I'm still alive ^.^ I would feel differently if I collected like actual historical artifacts or something. Books, sure. Preserve the heck outta those! But toys? Meeeeh. I've got some metal wind up toys from Germany that were passed down to me. I wouldn't pick them apart or throw them out, but if they needed to be repaired or painted or something along those lines and it bothered me enough, I'd fix them. I feel the same about ponies.

I wouldn't decard a pony just to decard it. If I had one that was falling apart or had a gross yellow bubble (can you fix that with Retr0Brite?) or was developing age spots then, sure. I would actually like another MOC Raincurl. Not because I want to decard the one I have, but because the card is creased and there's an obnoxious Goldilocks offer sticker on the front :P

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline tebrighteyes

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
I collect mib/moc and loose.   I think I have around 50 moc g1s and a couple of mip mail orders.   I also have quite a few moc G2s.   My G3 collection is also all mib lol.    I would never open any of them.   I just love moc/mib so much!!  They look so beautiful in their packing.   I love the artwork.   moc/mib ponies feel so special to me.   

I have never been tempted to open them and honestly don't get why others have that temptation.   Even when I was 14 and G2 was out.  All the ones I bought I kept moc because I just loved how much they looked moc.

I love loose ponies too but there is just something extra special about a moc pony.   I get pretty sad when I hear about G1s or G2s  being unboxed.  Since it drives up the price and it makes getting them much harder for moc/mib collectors.   

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 01:25:39 AM »
I collect MOC/MIB and loose G1 too.
Im never really tempted to open one as I know someone who did and experienced an unpleasant surprise... both ponies they unpacked where flat on the NDS and had marks from the card they were on for so many years so... nope Id rather have a beautiful MOC then unpacking them :)
Ive got a few G2 MOC/MIB too but I wont open them either. For G3 and G4 ... hm sometimes I do because they take away so much space. But those where mass produced, for me thats a whole other thing.

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 03:43:54 AM »
Why do we still say g3s are 'safe' to open? They've been off the shelves for close to 10 years. The only thing that's really safe, in my opinion, would be something that's still being sold. Granted there are a lot more g3 MIB than g1, since pony collecting was way more widespread, what with the Arena and TP and other collecting communities, but at some point we would have to start thinking differently about opening g3s, right? Genuine question, not directed at anyone in the thread. I just see this said a lot ^^'
Maybe I just love MIB g3s too much :silly:

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »
I saw G3s (albeit core 7) in stores past 2010. I wanna say 2011 or 2012 was the last time I remember seeing a G3 new in a store. They did start 15 or 16 years ago though, so some have been around for awhile. G3 will probably be deemed safe until g4 disappears.

So if folks want to debox a G3, better do it now rather than later.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal