collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you think will happen to Equestria Girls once G5 comes along?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
It's not like I am a big EqG fan. I only liked Rainbow Rocks and toywise I enjoy the Minis.

But having seen the latest special (the specials have been downgraded to regular episodes and aren't even musicals anymore) I was wondering if they would keep it alive to keep competing in the doll/actionfigure sector. Do you think the G4 characters will live on as Equestria Girls? Or will G5 have its own humanoid parallel universe (please don't) ?

Offline Vixylisious

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Welcome Everypony!
    • View Profile
    • Vixylisious
:glitter: I'm really hoping they will focus more on the Equestria girls while simultaneously expanding on the G5 characters (are we really calling them G5?) :glitter:
They have sooo much they can do with Equestria girls line without bringing in the G5 characters, and who knows what they would be since ponies are human, and dragons are dogs...
I mean really, what would the hippogriff be? a bird? what would the yak be? a cat? what would the changeling be?? I mean it, I have no ideas to what the changeling would be...
What I'm saying is, I personally believe it would be best for them to stick to the main 7, and not expand into the G5...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"Keep Calm and Read A Book"
I now have a website, just in case anyone wants to check out my art...Just click on Twilight's Eyes!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
G5 hasn't happened yet, I think Zapper is hypothesising for when it eventually does given all the previous discussions on the subject.

I hope it will continue as it is and not go into Monster High reboot disaster, trying to reinvent the same characters only weaker...

I like EQG...in some ways more than G4, definitely more than FIM, so I will be sad if it ends. But I'd rather it ended than went downhill.

For me G5 the term won't apply until we have a complete reboot including new core characters as well as new designs. If they stick with the mane 6, I'll just consider it another G4 sub-category. But if we have that, then EQG seems likely to continue as well...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Good question!  You know, it's always possible it will stick around even if the rest of the canon changes.

Like how Transformers Rescue Bots is continuing on even though the rest of the Aligned universe is being replaced by Cyberverse.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I just want more Sunset Shimmers. <---simple to please.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
They'll probably stop making it.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
They'll probably stop making it.
What I'm thinking will happen, too. Especially because it sounds like Hasbro is going with a different show style from what we currently have, it won't gel well with what we have currently.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
I just want more Sunset Shimmers. <---simple to please.
Yes yes yes yes! It'll be a sad day when EqG stops...

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
It'll probably end; it's not like it is a huge success. I'm guessing that the only thing that keeps EG on its feet for the moment and warranted a soft reboot, are the mini figures.

But even if they keep it around when the new generation comes along, wouldn't they at least need to redesign the logo (again)? With every pony gen, the logo changes. It would be kind of off to have a rebranding of MLP and have its spin-off continue in the same old style.

We'll see, and if they're smart they'll include Sunset Shimmer in the new mane six (so, seven?), or give her at least a big recurring role. That is, if the new generation really is basically going to be a redesigning of the current characters.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I like EQG...in some ways more than G4, definitely more than FIM, so I will be sad if it ends. But I'd rather it ended than went downhill.

I think it already did go downhill. They started out with a theatre release and now they're at webisode level. The brand is definitely dying and the latest special didn't even have songs anymore, proof that they couldn't even be bothered to hire a composer/song writer this time.

The plot was a rehash of the "girls get trapped in an object" plot they already did and it was even lampshaded within the special. One of the characters said something like "well we are already used to being stuck in magical objects".
It looks to me like these specials are the last gasps to keep the mini line alive.
That's what made me think about the future of this spin-off.
Hasbro can reboot TF year after year but they are much harsher on their girl lines (best example being Jem). I wish they would divorce this magical girl band idea from all things MLP. It never made much sense in the first place.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: What do you think will happen to Equestria Girls once G5 comes along?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
That's a shame that the quality isn't what it used to be.  :(  I don't watch EQG so I only know what I hear second-hand.

I guess the real question is:  how are the toys selling?   I don't think Hasbro will care that much if it is out of continuity with their other cartoon if it is bringing in the $$$.  My impression is that EQG large dolls maybe weren't doing so hot, but the minis were doing well.  But I don't know how accurate that is.  It was just my assumption based on the sheer number of minis they put out.  They wouldn't make that many if they weren't doing well, surely?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »
I believe Ingram isn't working with EQG anymore. Starting with the Wallflower special (and maybe that little music video) he's been focusing on the main series. It doesn't show, though! This would explain the lack of songs. It's a pity, but it's not like they could top Rainbow Rocks.
I guess the real question is:  how are the toys selling?   I don't think Hasbro will care that much if it is out of continuity with their other cartoon if it is bringing in the $$$.  My impression is that EQG large dolls maybe weren't doing so hot, but the minis were doing well.  But I don't know how accurate that is.
I haven't seen any of the carnival sets out yet, are they supposed to be in stores? I remember Target being overloaded with the cafeteria sets, so it's likely my local store neglected to order the new round because they were stuck with extra stock for so long.
I think the minis did better than the original large dolls did, but not excellently.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »
That's a shame that the quality isn't what it used to be.  :(  I don't watch EQG so I only know what I hear second-hand.

I guess the real question is:  how are the toys selling?   I don't think Hasbro will care that much if it is out of continuity with their other cartoon if it is bringing in the $$$.  My impression is that EQG large dolls maybe weren't doing so hot, but the minis were doing well.  But I don't know how accurate that is.  It was just my assumption based on the sheer number of minis they put out.  They wouldn't make that many if they weren't doing well, surely?

It's puzzling to say the least, isn't it? I mean; they reboot the doll line, get a known designer to create outfits, get a youtube singer for the new music video, revamp the art style, invest in a flood of youtube episodes,... And then, all they put out is a 7 piece set of basic dolls and a 3 doll set with a random teapot arm feature, that no one seems to find in stores. The mini figures didn't need all that, those were a hit from the start. The reboot was done to push the new dolls on an older audience, I think.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:06:29 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »
I believe Ingram isn't working with EQG anymore. Starting with the Wallflower special (and maybe that little music video) he's been focusing on the main series. It doesn't show, though! This would explain the lack of songs.

Yeah but Hasbro could easily hire a new music person but as it looks like they just don't care if EqG has songs nowadays.
My suspicion is they are not focusing on it like they used to.

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »
Yeah but Hasbro could easily hire a new music person but as it looks like they just don't care if EqG has songs nowadays.
My suspicion is they are not focusing on it like they used to.
That's certainly true! I believe they're also using their Irish animation studio (Boulder?) to animate the new shorts, as well. I'm unaware as to whether the current webisodes are still being put out to there, but that bunch of summertime shorts that included the SciTwi music video was all made by them.
So it sounds like they did short-term hire a new music artist, but just cut them out completely from the shorts. Maybe if we get ooone more movie or special we'll see another song. With the pounds of shorts their making, I wouldn't be surprised if they simply cut out the specials or movies altogether. 

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal