collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else have G3's that are going sticky already?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Anyone else have G3's that are going sticky already?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 06:50:45 PM »
Kimono for me.  :(
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lockette

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • twice as fancy as you
    • View Profile
    • toylockette.tumblr
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »
besides my divine shine ponies (natch) my Spring Parade has recently started feeling tacky :c

none of my G1 sparkle ponies are tacky at ALL. it's amazing how much faster the G3s seem to break down..
:rainbow: toylockette on tumblr & instagram!
& check out g1mlp & g3mlp on tumblr!

☆☆ wish list! ☆☆ ISO baby sparkle Firefly w/ dark gold tail factory error!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 05:08:51 PM »
My g3s are ok but I have notice half of my g2s have gone stick after a year of storage in a plastic container, never again will anything be stored in plastic here, I have had ponies stored before but always have been stored in cardboard boxes without problems.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
So what will happen to G4 figures? Imagine high quality Pinkie's being hard to find in the future, lol.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
I had a couple in my collection that I no longer have.

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 10:58:51 PM »
I am going to guess that other than the divine shine ponies (which are pretty consistent for this) the others become random as far as who gets sticky and who doesn't. I am also going to guess that a part of it could be affected by the following:

1) How they were stored (plastic vs. cardboard and how well the box seals)

2) Where they were stored (mine are in a closet on the 2nd floor (for about 5 years now), but before we lived here they were on a 3rd floor (for about 5 years also). Taking this into account from a heat rises perspective.

3) How long they have been in storage without being opened (I can't remember the last time I opened my G3 storage boxes until the other day, so let's assume one year maybe a little longer).

I will say though, that for me at least, having washed them in water and letting them sit out for 3 days now has made a big difference in how they feel. For some the stickiness is completely gone and for others it has been reduced. Storage method + time unopened is probably a big factor. We have the old Kellogg's PVC Disney Afternoon figures and those things stink if sealed up in a box too long. I also noticed years ago that my 80's Strawberry Shortcake miniatures do much better out in the open verses long periods in storage (they get oily).

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 06:31:48 AM »
That is super weird, I didn't know G3s were really prone to this! I've never come across a sticky pony, even in my G1 herd. *knock on wood!*
I mean, I have from like thrift stores and stuff, but a quick bath and they were fine- I always assumed that was just gross child-stickiness, lmao. Although with G3, I have encountered yellowing, rust, and actually even fading pink hair. (My Aurora Mist's hair is white, I thrifted her so I didn't even notice it was supposed to be pink until I was browsing StrawberryReef a few weeks ago, luckily I prefer it white)

My ponies have always been very delicately displayed and stored so hopefully they stay in great condition for many more years to come, at the least!

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Radha

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
  • It goes ding when there's stuff!
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »
Do you think storing things in plastic accelerates this? Similar to storing unripe fruit with ripe?  I sometimes wonder if offgassing/plastic breakdown can accelerate the process when in close proximity.  Not exactly like it’s contagious, just that it might speed the process up.
I’m thinking about buying unbleached muslin and using cardboard or wood for long term storage.  Of course the risk there is it isn’t waterproof :/

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 08:03:50 PM »
My 2004 4-pack ponies (Flutter Butter, Banjo Blue, Tropical Delight) started going sticky about a year ago. A couple random babies as well. I ended up putting them in the cabinet with my g1s so they're enclosed just in case nasty chemicals are leeching out.  :(

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »
my Spring Parade has recently started feeling tacky

NOOOOOO she's my favorite G3, I hope it's not something that will eventually happen to mine!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 04:46:06 AM »
Do you think storing things in plastic accelerates this? Similar to storing unripe fruit with ripe?  I sometimes wonder if offgassing/plastic breakdown can accelerate the process when in close proximity.  Not exactly like it’s contagious, just that it might speed the process up.
I’m thinking about buying unbleached muslin and using cardboard or wood for long term storage.  Of course the risk there is it isn’t waterproof :/

Possibly, yes. A good general rule of thumb for collectibles is to limit heat, light, and humidity in order to preserve them in the best condition possible. Having good air circulation around them also helps. But the reality is that we will still see some plastic breakdown even in the best conditions.

Elf

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 05:00:41 AM »
When I sorted my recently deceased friends collection I came across a few G3 that where so sticky I had to... throw one of them away (Strawberry Swirl from the set with the little purse to carry her around :'( The purse itself was about to disintegrate, it smeared my hands with brown goo... directly went into the trash. Uuugh. Sunny Daze´s purse was sticky too *sigh*
The other ponies were fine, some sticky though. From my own collection there are a few sticky G3 too, the Divine Shine ponies mostly and some others (I dont know if Im right but I have the feeling that its the pink ponies that get sticky first... hm)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal