collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else have G3's that are going sticky already?  (Read 2499 times)

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone else have G3's that are going sticky already?
« on: July 06, 2018, 06:33:16 PM »
I opened a couple boxes of G3's that I have had stored in plastic storage tubs today and noticed a number of them were already becoming sticky to the touch. I knew the Divine Shine G3's can have this issue but I was surprised to find the other ones coming down with it too. Anyone else have sticky G3's?

Offline normaleeinsane

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else have G3's that are going sticky already?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »
I've got a Pinkie Pie from the first wave that is going sticky, but that's the only one so far apart from my divine shines.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 06:51:57 PM »
Yeah, I noticed about 4 years ago I have several ponies that are coming down with plastisizer breakdown. It's sad and disappointing but it's unfortunately what plastic toys do.

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 08:07:44 PM »
I have a Pineapple Paradise that has been sticky for a couple of years.

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
I have a Piccolo who has been going sticky for a while!  It's unfortunate because she's so pretty, and she's also special since I got her at Disney World.  Mine's stickiness was likely accelerated by spending too much time stored near a sunny window.   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 04:08:07 AM »
I have only one out of all my G3s who is sticky (Candy Apple, and she’s been like that since I got her new in store), so while it’s dissapointing, I don’t think it’s too common (at least I hope not)

Elf

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 07:49:45 AM »
I had a sticky Goody Goody but I got rid of her a long time ago. The only other one I am aware of is my divine Shine (I think Secret Wish?) She lives on my desk separate from the others because of the known problems of that set. She's deteriorated a little but being that she's already pinkish, it's more the sticky than the degrading glitter/discoloration affecting her so far.

G3 do seem to have less of a durable lifespan than G1 though.

It isn't very hot and sunny in the UK and most of my ponies don't get to be in either warm or sunny places, so maybe that's why this hasn't been a major issue for me yet. Sticky happens with my G1 sometimes but at a slower pace than some other folk who live in hotter climes.

The Goody Goody I had that had sticky came to me second hand so I have no idea how she was kept before I got her.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »
I have a Piccolo who has been going sticky for a while!  It's unfortunate because she's so pretty, and she's also special since I got her at Disney World.  Mine's stickiness was likely accelerated by spending too much time stored near a sunny window.

The ones that I got from Disney World went sticky, too, and they've been stored in my closet. 

Offline toyjunky

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 11:37:15 PM »
I went through my sticky pony boxes today cleaning them and they are all from 2003-2004 (22 ponies in all). These ones did come to me secondhand, so I have no idea how they were treated before I bought them. I have had them airing out for about 48 hours and that seems to have helped for the moment.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 01:31:50 AM »
Reading all these replies is making me afraid to check my herd.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 01:52:09 AM »
I went through my sticky pony boxes today cleaning them and they are all from 2003-2004 (22 ponies in all). These ones did come to me secondhand, so I have no idea how they were treated before I bought them. I have had them airing out for about 48 hours and that seems to have helped for the moment.

I don't know if it helps, but my afflicted ponies are Kimono and PinkiePie, their original releases. I got them, did their hair, and put them on a shelf. They came down with it in the mild climate of upstate New York. I don't knwo what I could have done differently to prevent it to be honest. I think it just happens.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »
I'm going to cry if any of my Sunny Dazes become affected.
I want to make a spreadsheet of the ponies that have been affected so far. Yay, research! It sounds scary especially because they're becoming sticky even in milder climates.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline toyjunky

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
Reading all these replies is making me afraid to check my herd.

No kidding.

So I went ahead and checked my G3's that I bought new MIB (and then promptly opened and stored). These were stored in the same place as the other boxes, but were in large storage drawers (the plastic kind) verses plastic storage boxes. I only found 8 of those were sticky out of a lot of ponies (not going to count, let's just say about 50 or so). On an interesting note, my Fun Fairy and Star Catcher both had very similar yellow marks on their bodies near their necks and were stored in different drawers. I am going to guess some sort of tape/glue residue left unnoticed from their original packaging that aged overtime on the white bodies. I also had to get rid of any clear plastic elastics on any accessories some ponies were wearing as some were starting to get brittle and on one pony (forgot who right now) the band had left a yellow mark all around it's head.

Another thing I found is that for some ponies they were only sticky on their legs and for others it was all over. Probably just a matter of time in regards to that difference.

And for you tailrustedtealeaf:

Alphabittle, Amberlocks, Applejack, Blossomforth, Bumblesweet, Cotton Candy, Crystal Lace, Daisy Jo, Flower Wishes, Fluttershy, Guava Lava, Kimono, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Serendipity, Sky Wishes, Snow'el, Sparkleworks, Spring Fever, Strawberry Reef, Sun Sparkle, Sunshine Blossom, Tangerine Twinkle, Toodleloo, Waterfire and Wysteria.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
Hmm I haven't noticed it, but at the same I haven't checked. After I get paid Thursday I'll be buying a new shelf for my G3s online so I'll check as I'm taking them off of my current shelf and putting them on my new one.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »
Catalouging them I didn't see any patterns...so maybe it's just the way they were made. None of mine are sticky yet, and they've all come second-hand.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal